The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

• Sponsors (?)

Well, if it sells, are you gonna look for another II project or no? I mean we all know there are easier cars out there to deal with..... :shrug:
The list of potential ElSuperPinto replacements should it sell is as follows:

79-04 Mustang (with a strong preference for 1985-1986).
79-86 Capri
83-88 Thunderbird (with a strong preference for an 87-88 Turbocoupe)
83-88 Cougar
75-78 Mustang II (anything but another damned Ghia, strong preference for a 76-77.5 Cobra)
79 or older Ford truck (with a strong preference for a '59)
79 or older GM truck (obviously the 4.6 wouldn't power that)
71-73 Mustang fastback
82-92 Camaro
82-92 Firebird

All but the GM truck and 3rd-gen F-body possibility would get the turbo 4.6 treatment. They would be LS-swapped.

Odds are this buyer won't do it and I'll continue moving forward, but this was the closest I've ever been to shaking hands on a deal for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The dark side of the force (GM/LS stuff) is appealing. I also like the looks of the 3rd gen Camaro. And they can be modified to handle well.
Also the fox mustang would be a very nice car!

I think the 4.6 swap in Elsuperpinto or a new project will both be a good option.

I kind of like that you're not attached to it. I wish I had that attitude.
It's easy when you work on cars for a living. After awhile you just get to the point you still like cars, but you don't really like working on them anymore... then you get to the point that you kinda still like cars, but you kinda hate working on them... then you get to the point that you don't really like cars anymore either, and you hate working on them... then you get to the point that you kinda hate cars and really hate working on them... then you get to the point that you hate cars and absolutely
:leghump:ing loathe working on the pieces of :poo:.

I'm there. I've been there awhile:
My advice for everyone thinking about getting into the business of working on cars is "don't".

After you've done it awhile, you're so jaded about cars that even getting to drive a twin-turbo V8 monster wit massaging seats (Mercedes S550) does nothing for you. You get to the point that you hate working on everything, and wish you'd spent the $50-100k a good tech has spent on tools to go to school and be an engineer so you could've been the college-educated pencil-pushing prick that thought internal waterpumps were a good idea instead of the poor :leghump: that has to fix it.

Throw in the miserable working conditions, the constant exposure to carcinogens, and the stress of flat-rate pay, and well... I hate it. I hate cars.
That was posted in this very thread in May of 2019.

Now I know what you're asking... "MustangIIMatt, if you feel this way, why in the hell are you gonna try to shove a 4.6, AND a turbocharger, AND an intercooler AND a late-model manual transmission into that rusty ass Mustang II of yours?"

Well... it's simple. I hate cars. I don't hate the way they make my balls tingle when I've got the pedal to the metal and 500+ horsepower on tap, and since I can't afford to buy one of the 500+ horsepower performance cars out there, I'm gonna have to build one.

Reactions: 1 user
Another fun hobby ruined by becoming a full time job.
Yeah, but what else was I supposed to do? I wasn't going to college (couldn't afford it and hated school), there's no factories that pay well around here, and I tried an office job for a couple years, and while good at it, it made me want to hang myself.

No progress has been made on ElSuperPinto since the day I painted a pulley...

43iv8l.jpg

But I did a thing...

I hated the MB wheels on my 4Runner when I bought it. I hated them even more every time I needed to remove one thanks to their stupid spline-drive lug nuts.

20201212_124331.jpg

That's the last picture taken of them on the 4Runner, because for all of $100, I bought a set of wheels from a Lexus GX470 (the 4Runner's luxury sibling) and put them on today.
20201212_141540.jpg

Much better.

Reactions: 1 users
20201212_180509.jpg

From the other side and on the ground. I think the Lexus wheels look much better. My 2" lift kit was delivered by Amazon about an hour too late to do that today, so it'll be Monday's project.

Reactions: 1 user