Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

• Sponsors (?)

I I had my ace mechanic helping out with the car over the weekend! He couldn't figure out the problem either.

20190810_123713.jpg

Here's when he just gave up on helping and literally ran away from the problem. You just cant find good help these days. Good thing we have the shop. It's inspiring LOL.

20190811_171124.jpg

We did finally get a car in the garage. He said it needed an oil change and an alignment.

20190810_152407.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
For what it's worth here is the link to the video of the "ticking"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF6f-oauJqI

When I get a chance I'm going to jack the motor up and pull the header out just to inspect it. It's loose right now anyway. I did check the valve cover. I was able to get to 4 out of 5 of the bolts. I was able to tighten down on it a little bit. It has new Felpro gaskets on it.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure I found my issue last night. Without jacking the motor up I couldn't get the header out of the way to be able to see the face of the head. Once I could see that, it was easy to see a piece of the old gasket still stuck to the head.

20190820_201015.jpg

I got it cleaned up, but then ran out of light. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend to put it back together and see if it fixed the issue.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
I FINALLY got the clear coat down on the shop floor yesterday afternoon. It was either do it then or wait about a month to get another chance. I wasn't expecting the clear to be that big of a deal, but man it about killed me. I deiced to put the anti-slip stuff in it. I would mix it up and pour it onto the floor. No big deal. Well all the sand would fall out of solution in about 3 seconds, so then you're stuck trying to push it around the floor with the roller.

My advice to anyone doing this. Get a friend to help. If I had someone constantly mixing the stuff and pouring it while I rolled it on the floor the job would have been a breeze. Needless to say. I sweated all the beer from the festival out yesterday on that floor.

About 45 minutes after I finished the floor it blew up a storm and rained its butt off! I got the shop all closed up, but it will leak a bit. It probably messed up a few spots on the floor. I just hope it didn't get to much of it. At this point it just is what it is. It's time to get the car in there and start doing stuff! I'm not even going to crack the door to look at it until Wednesday.

The floor looks good. I want to give it plenty to time to cure out before putting anything in there but thank God that is over. I'll post a few pics tomorrow after I take some this afternoon. Then that will be it. At least for the floor!

I got the header back on the car last night. With a little luck I'll have everything else back on this evening and will be able to fire it up.

I was talking to my dad last night about the shop. He is super excited about finally getting to make more room in his shop. In the next few week we need to coordinate a little then I'll be bring the old 65 down from her old home in NA to her new home in LA. I probably wont be able to do much with it at first but I'll start a thread over in the classic section to document the work done on it.

Reactions: 1 users
Pics of how it came out.

20190828_174316.jpg

20190828_174325.jpg

20190828_174338.jpg

It might be hard to tell in the pictures but the hazy white stuff is actually grit in the top coat. That stuff just would not move.

Attachments

• 20190828_175021.jpg
    20190828_175021.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 220
  • Winner
Has anyone replaced the hardware on their sunroof? Mine was all deteriorated and looked awful, so I put new hardware on it from LMR last summer. I noticed yesterday that the new stuff went from black to a kinda black coppery color. Is this just cheap stuff?
20190828_175021.jpg

I got the car all put back together this evening. No more exhaust leak! Still need to heat cycle it a few times and tighten the header bolts.

The battery was weak when I started it and the voltage gauge was jumping around a lot so I shut it down and put the charger on to top it off. The alternator is new.

I found my next project for the car. A coworker and I took it to lunch. As I came into the parking area at work I could hear a scrubbing/dragging sound coming from the rear of the car. When I pulled the ebrake to the position where it normally holds the car it started to roll back when I let off the brakes. I pulled it up as high as it would go and it held, ebrake. Left it in gear just to be safe!

I redid the back breaks last year. I'm guessing that a shoe has came loose or something like that. I'll get it jacked up later and pull the back wheels to see whats going on. Nothing is hanging under the car that I could see.

Other than that its running great! LOL

My other project arrived at the shop over the weekend!
20190914_145832.jpg

I've started another thread for it in the classic mustang forum if you are interested in seeing how that is going.

• Hell Yeah!
It's not car stuff, but it affects car stuff! Started running EMT conduit in the shop to get power to the lift and start getting some lights hung.

20190915_202631.jpg

It's not much yet, but this is the first time I've done this so it take me a long time to figure out how to get the bends right. I'm using 1" EMT. I was talking to a guy at work and he said that he knew someone that had a bunch of 1" that I could just have. It's dirty but cleans up nice. So everywhere that I can use 1" is going to have that size! Since the conduit was free I'm installing larger junction boxes to allow for future expansion.

I knew it wasn't going to be cheap, but dang wire is expensive! This is about $350 worth of stuff.

20190915_203112.jpg

With a little luck I should have the lift in operation by this weekend!

• Hell Yeah!