Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a pic of the new gasket from BBK. With a little luck Ill get it installed this weekend. The wife and Kido are headed out of town tomorrow and wont be back until Monday. I'll have all weekend to work on the shop and car!

20190724_190348.jpg

Here's a pic of the new gasket from BBK. With a little luck Ill get it installed this weekend. The wife and Kido are headed out of town tomorrow and wont be back until Monday. I'll have all weekend to work on the shop and car!

20190724_190348.jpg

You have the whole house to yourself... I hope you have a fridge in that garage or at least really close by. Its been really "hot" outside and need extra beverage consumption.

20190724_190348.jpg
Are you using locking header bolts?
you should run a couple heat cycles and then tighten them up again hot.

Are you using locking header bolts?
you should run a couple heat cycles and then tighten them up again hot.
Im not using locking header bolts. I bought a set of these in the hopes that it will make working on it in the future a little easier. They came with washers, but I havent opened them us so I dont know if they are lock washers.

They have the smaller 5/16 head as opposed to the 3/8 that were on it.

We'll see how they work out. I do plan on putting copper based never-seize on them.

10-4 on the heat cycles. I was planning on getting it out and driving it a time or two then tightening them back down. Should I just fire it up at the house and let it heat up and cool down a few times instead of driving it?

One last thing. The gaskets are flatter on one side than the other. I was planning on putting the flattest side toward the head. Does it make a difference?

I put the flat site to the head but don't know if it makes a difference. Lots of members use the copper rtv with good results too.
They make a locking header bolt that has a clip you file to fit the bolt and a shoulder that fits against the header tube if I remember right. I used them on my vert headers, pain in the butt to fit. I use regular header bolts on the exxon valdez, still tight after all these years :jester:

I dont use gaskets, they never seem to hold. I just use good old copper rtv, a light smear and press against the head then let them hang on the header bolts for 10mins then tighten.
Thanks for the advice! I've already opened up the gaskets, so I'm going to give them a try. If I continue to have issues I'll definitely give the method you described a shot before buying more gaskets.

Depending on the weather this weekend. I think I might take advantage of some of my bachelor time Saturday and go to this place and check out what they have.

Its not to far from where I am and I've been wanting to check them out. I have a couple of parts on my list that are not available to just by. At least I haven't found them. The bezel for the power mirror switch for example. Mine crumbled and I need a new one. You really have to stop and think for a sec to move the mirrors. If you want to move them you have to figure out the correct combination of the four available buttons to push in order to make the mirror move the way you want it to! Not hard just aggravating and it looks like poo.

I've been looking on Prestige's website and I'm getting pretty stoked about riding over there. It's exciting to see all the possible parts I could get but at the same time its sad to see all those banged up foxbodies. They have 7 pages of 89-93 cars. I just hope there prices aren't through the roof. I emailed them asking about a few things just to get an idea.

I saw a couple of cars with Cobra intakes and at least one with a GT40. I'm not really in the market right now for an intake, but at some point I know I want to change out the BBK upper currently on my car. Just to be clear knowing what I do know about the engine in my car I realize it's a thrown together hodgepodge of parts and pieces. At some point I'll got through the whole thing and either build it or replace it with something better.

I dont have pie in the sky plans for this car. Not at the moment anyway. I dont race, but I enjoy a car that has plenty of power and handles well. I'm also not experienced driving cars with stupid amounts of power. The last sports car that I owned was an 06 G35 coupe with a 6 speed in it. So, where I'd like to go with the car in the next couple of years or so is just NA with bolt-ons.

I dont like the BBK intake because as far as I can tell from the info I can find about it there are lots of better options, it makes everything extremely tight against the firewall to the point that the upper half has to be removed just to get to the salt and pepper shakers, and it's almost impossible to get to anything under it on the passengers side.

I'm not doing heads or cam anytime soon, but I do think the intake would help the car out in the short run. So, I'm going to ask one of "those" questions. For a stock bore 302 intended for "fun" driving using, with the intent of upgrading the heads and cam at some point what intake would ya'll suggest?

Its already fun, but you know. It can ALWAYS be more fun. :D

I don't know what cam is in it.

Even If I don't get something immediately this will be great info for me later. Personally I was leaning toward the GT 40 intake for no other reason than I like the way it looks and what I have read about it seem to indicate that it's a good setup.

Well, so much for the Mustang pick-a-part pilgrimage :( It's not nearly as close to me as I was thinking :doh: I'll just have to ride over and aggravate the guys at Whisnant Mustangs instead. They are here in town.

This is a little better pic of the floor. It looks good. It was a constant battle with bugs and the wind blowing leaves onto it. I'm not so sure what is so appealing about this floor/shop to granddaddy long legs spiders, but they are what ended up being the number one contaminate in the floor.

I had one mishap when I started the second coat on Saturday. Unbeknownst to me the material mix was much more aggressive in its setup time. I was planning on being able to trim out the section I was working on then pour the rest down and spread it out. I ended up with material rapidly starting to setup. Luckily I had the foresight to start the process in an area that I knew if a screwed up it would be in an area of the shop that would be less obvious. I ended up pouring some of the "hot mix" on a part of the floor that will eventually be the bathroom. I'm glad I did because it didn't get spread out much at all. I was only able to mix up about 5oz at a time to do the trim out. I got it all trimmed and the rest went pretty smooth.

The next step will be the clear then I'll let it sit for a few weeks before parking anything on it. The literature says to give it a minimum of a week to setup before parking vehicles on it. My thinking is if one week is good four is better. In the mean time I'll start putting up lights and running power outlets and suck.

20190728_105812.jpg

I did get to work on the car a little. I was able to get the first four header bolts in without to much of an issue, but the last four wont start. They will but they are not straight, and the last thing I want to do is cross thread it and mess up the threads in the aluminum heads!

I bought a cheap bore-scope off of Amazon a couple of months back. $35, it was a deal! I used it to look into where the header flange meets the head. You can see that the header needs to move about 1/8" forward to allow the bolts to go in straight. I tried using a ratchet strap to pull on the header. I pulled as hard as I was comfortable and then backed off before I bent something. My plan is to jack up the car and loosen the collector bolts, if I can. This should allow me to slightly move the header to line up the bolts. The only issue I can come up with is that this will open up the opportunity for a new leak to develop at the collector. The car is currently in the grass and on just enough hill that I couldn't push it out of the yard and onto the concrete driveway. I'll get the misses to help with that this week. She loves working on the car......:hide: Not really but she will help me move it.

Reactions: 1 user