Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

What day know! There's a decent look exhaust under this thing after all!

20191109_194240.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The car currently doesn't have under coating. I actually started wiping down the floor pan. Yes, once the rag started going it got harder to stop. Once the grim is cleaned away it actually appears to be in good shape. I've got cracks that need to be dealt with, but not a lot of rust.
Before:
20191110_213422.jpg

After:
20191110_213415.jpg

I'll probably pick up the undercoating for the wheel wells. The axle is coming along nice. It was kinda cool yesterday so the paint was drying slow.
20191110_210656.jpg

I think I'm going to get some different black paint to go over everything one last time. The Rust-Oleum I picked up says it auto paint and simi-gloss, but it has a distinct green hue to it. The tail pipes turned out nice.

• Happy
Reactions: 2 users
I didn't realize my drivers floor pan was cracked back when I did a few things to the car. I welded the cracks up. Once I saw that, I finally put the MM full length subs in. Super good product and I don't worry about the floor anymore. All these cars need full length subs in my opinion.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Sub-frame connectors are on the short list for sure. MM seems to be the agreed upon go to for quality and reliability, so I'll probably go with them. I also need to reinforce the torque boxes. The left side is in need of some repair. There is a pic of it in here somewhere.

Sub-frame connectors are on the short list for sure. MM seems to be the agreed upon go to for quality and reliability, so I'll probably go with them. I also need to reinforce the torque boxes. The left side is in need of some repair. There is a pic of it in here somewhere.
The torque box needs repair? I think thats up close to the transmission crossmember... :rlaugh:

Some will get that reference! :hide:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Good updates! The floorpan is cracked on every Fox body...if it isn't cracked yet, it's been sitting in a museum. The MM subframes are like ALL of their parts...great quality! You can't go wrong...I immediately felt how much stiffer the seat was after putting mine in.

• Happy
Reactions: 1 users
One corner is done at least! New quad shock and adjustable shock, spring, and bushings.

20191111_214212.jpg

20191111_215506.jpg

Got the axle all painted. Had to let it dry so I didn't start putting everything back together last night. I'll do that tonight if it isn't to cold!

20191111_224827.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Kudos to you on posting pics of work/ mods done on a clean car. Just shows to go ya, that even though its under the car. It's a good thing knowing you wont come out from under there filthy but one time if you ever need to work under the car.

Didn't get to do anything to the car last night. Got caught up doing other stuff. I don't get things done fast but I guess I'm steady. I mess with this thing almost every night that I am home. Doing one thing or another. It makes me happy. One of these days I'll drive it more than I work on it... maybe... we'll see.

I know it needs um and I'm under the car cleaning everything up so what the hell now is as good a time as any. Just ordered a set of MM full length subframe connectors as well as a set of upper and lower torque box reinforcements. Once that is on the car and all the little cracks are welded up it should be pretty solid for whatever it's future holds!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
A set of AFR 1422 heads just popped up for sale on marketplace not to far from me. The add doesn't have a price on it, so not sure of actual asking price. Would these be much of an improvement over the SVO x303 heads currently installed on my car? What would you guys feel was a fair price? I'm guessing I would need to take them to a shop and have them gone over.

On a street car swapping heads may be an expensive way to gain very little, check out some of the head comparison articles on line, unless you plan on racing it I feel it is not worth the time and money. Almost anything is better than the stock ford heads.
Of course this is an opinion and not based on any real mechanical experience :jester:

Engine work really isn't on the priority list at this point with this car. I'd like to do a lot with it at some point just for kicks. If I stumbled across something nice at a good price I would consider getting it for future use. If I'm honest with myself you hit the nail on the head with doing some serious research before just jumping into something.

I think I'm currently on a good track with focusing on stiffing everything up and addressing the known structural weakness of the fox platform. The next big project on the list for this car is 5-lug and 4 wheel disk breaks. I have been following the major threads on here in regards to that and feel I'm getting a good grasp on what I need to start hording. Following that would be converting to coilovers.

My goal for this car as a first build is to get somewhere close to 400 at the wheels N/A. If that takes to much I'd consider a mild power adder to get to that number. Long term I'd like to upgrade the block and do a full build just to make a ridiculous street car out of it. I have no plans to race it. This is just something I've always wanted to do.