Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

The white fiberglass bumper is missing. It bolts to the impact....ummm....things.
mustang-front-bumper-support-87-93_0e23e881.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The drivers side is done! Now I've just got to give it some time to get good and cured out before I start putting everything back together. I think I can start putting the passenger side back together tonight.

20191120_222039.jpg

Next up I'll pull the interior to put in the torque box reinforcements and start addressing the cracks in the floor.

• Happy
Reactions: 2 users
Its sad when the best looking part of the exterior of your car is the wheel well! LOL

I think the inside looks pretty good at the moment. Except for custom Freddy Kruger drivers seat.

I did order a new set of chrome center caps for my wheels today. My old ones were all broken and had to be glued to the wheel with silicon to keep them on. Made a mess and I hated it. It's the little things that count!

Make sure you weld all the cracks in the pan good before you put the sub frame connectors in. They could block access from the underside. Also remember to seam seal anything that needs it. I had to seal the edge of my floor pan to rocker. Then do the subs and paint it all up good. Good work so far! :nice:

Well I see several issues with the front bumper. The metal brackets that are between the fender and bumper are supposed to go through the bumper and then through the fender. There should be nuts on them with wide washers attached to them. The front end looks really straight though. That support has got to go back in there.

I could see in the drivers side someone cut the edge under the head light wrong. The metal brackets I was talking about are there.

My buddies stalker bumper had the headlight buckets made into it. His is a Cervinis and that one may be a cheaper one. Might be best to save up for the Cervini and test fit it before getting it paint matched to the car.

The front end structure looks pretty good in the pictures. Doesn't look like it's ever been hit hard. Can't wait 'til you get to that part of the project. I'm completely jealous of your wheel wells. I really need to do mine.

Wayne, do you have any pictures of what you did under your car?
No I sure don't. Sorry. I did the subs exactly how the MM directions say. The floor cracks I did a couple things. I took a small block of wood on my floor jack and I very slightly pressed the floor back up where my weight and the seat had pushed it down. It wasn't very bad but it had sagged some. Mig welded the cracks up then. Did some seam sealer for the one side that connects to the rocker. Then did primer for bare metal then painted it all. After all that is when I put the subs on. My friend had some race boxes that he sat his race car up on to have it sit on the tires but be lifted. I used those to sit the car on for the sub frame install. I find it easier to use a floor jack to tweak the connectors exactly where I want them. Every car is different so both ends of the connectors may not sit perfectly flat against the car "frame." I like them to be mashed solid before welding. Do not take that as lifting the car at all. We are talking very slight pressure.

Got a little done last night. I'm not going to finish installing the control arms until I get the torque boxes reinforced. I did finish cleaning up the wheel-well.

20191114_221446.jpg

And I got the front spring off of one side. I'll get the other one tonight and spend some time clean everything up as I put it back together.

20191114_221427.jpg
I keep saying it, they need to make this thread a sticky to give all of the lazy asses incentive to clean the disaster that is the underside of their cars. Pics posted of shiny Sht sitting on a filthy substrate just makes me wonder why they didn't just coat the new part in oil, and throw dirt on it first, so it matches the rest of the stuff around it.
:nice:

I don't understand shiny sht. Park that btch at the far end of a parking lot and it will get scratched. Hell, park that shiny sht 5 blocks away and get an uber to your destination and a scratch will find it, a bird will send out the signal that a shiny car is parked in the open and you will think a cow with dysentery flu over your shiny new paint job.
maybe mike is partly right, keep the bottom of the car all clean and shiny let the top go to hell. Save time. Save water. Hell save our wildlife from swallowing those soap bubbles that will make them sterile (probably only in California right now but coming to a town near you!)
next thing you know ford will build a puffed up electric station wagon and call it a mustang! YEAH, and I bet it will be all shiny!
I'll be right back, I need more coffee.

Got to ratchet jawing on the phone last night, so didn't do much. I did get one of the new springs on and the strut.
20191121_224124.jpg

The lift made this soooooo much easier. As for shiny..... I live down a freaking gravel road. All the shiny will not last. It was so nasty though, and once I started cleaning one thing it looked so much better I just kept going. For now it does look a lot better. Eventually it will get paint and I'll be one of those people that parks waaaaay out in the parking lot. Thats if I go somewhere with it that has a big parking lot. No need to tempt fate by driving your shiny toy to Wally-World, and just beg for people to run carts into your :poo:

I knew a guy once that would intentionally park as close as he possibly could to a car that was clearly parked away from everything else to protect it. It was a total d-bag thing to do in my opinion. As least he parked on the passenger side of the offending car so the person could at least get into their car.

Reactions: 1 users
Last night was one of those nights when I was my own worst enemy. I got some stuff done, but if I had been paying better attention I would have gotten more done. I kinda got the spring on the drivers side control in. The lift makes this soooo much easier. Combine it with that simple little spring installation tool MM sells and its not a bad job at all!

20191124_203415.jpg

20191124_204907.jpg

20191124_214604.jpg

First set back was finding that the spring had rotated out of the perch in the A-arm AFTER I have attached the sway bar. No big deal.
20191124_213008.jpg

Got that fixed and moved on to my next blunder. The strut is all nice and shiny and in it's rightful spot, so time to install the break caliper and pads. Then I'll be done with this bit of the job. Wait a minute!
20191124_222247.jpg

:chin Something about this just isn't going to work.... :doh: To take the pressure off of the brake line holding the caliper I tied the caliper up to the hard line. This worked fine on the other side, or it didn't create a potential snag. Doing what I did on this side didn't hurt anything I just forgot about it until it was time to mount the caliper. The caliper is on the wrong side of the strut, and there is no way to just slide it around the strut. Again, no big deal. I just need to take the strut loose and move the caliper. It was late last night and I was tired. I'll fix it tonight.

Reactions: 2 users
Took the shock loose and got the caliper moved to the other side. It's all back together!

20191125_204450.jpg

The LMR fair stopped by this evening!

20191125_201025.jpg

Still didnt leave any stickers :cautious:

Shined up my old not so awesome rim and got the two front tires mounted.

20191125_210505.jpg

It's not a true representation of what it will look like sitting on all four wheels, but I let the lift down and put as much weight as possible on the front. I think the new springs are going to be just fine for now.

20191125_212901.jpg

My tires are shorter than stock and I'm on 16" rims.

Attachments

• 20191124_222247.jpg
    20191124_222247.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
If you guys remeber earlier in the this thread I was asking about my front bumper cover. I though some of you might find this interesting. This is a close up pic of the gap between the headlight and the bottom of the bumper.

20191125_222253.jpg

As you can see it isn't ripped. It appears that this unit came split in this area. :shrug:

• Agree