Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

2.5 inch exhaust should be able to be adjusted to clear everything under the car. That exhaust was built incorrectly. I've seen all types of issues with badly installed exhausts on Mustangs. Exhaust systems are one thing you can't cheap out on. Wish the previous owner would've done a better job.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I got the axle back in place last night and I'm a little concerned. The new U-joints that I got are Moogs from Rock Auto. They fit the axle just fine, but they seem to have a lot of slop. I don't remember the axle being able to move around so much before I changed them. Currently I can move the axle as much as 0.25" on both ends in either direction. I took a couple of pics, but its kind of hard to see. Just know that I'm trying to show how far the axle will move up and down on the U-joint.

20191105_215315.jpg

20191105_215328.jpg

This might be normal. It's just that I would rather fix it now if I got the wrong part.

These are the U-joints that I got.

The description doesn't say anything about it being a special part.

This is what LMR sales.

According to the specs the axial length of both joints is 3.62". Everything looks the same. If it makes a difference I have not greased the bearings yet. They came with grease in the caps, and I plan on greasing them before I put it on the ground. I just didn't think that would make that big of a difference. The snaps are sitting in the recesses for them in the axle and yokes.

Last edited:
Thanks Karthief! I'll do that. Mom and the kiddo are headed out of town for the weekend either tomorrow or Friday. I'll have ALL weekend to mess around with the car! It's going to be awesome!

• Hell Yeah!
How come there are so many choices, or sizes of u - joints. The dont make it easy. I need em but dont want to open can o worms. Enjoy time with the car . When you get time paint small parts. Always harmless fun . I just looked mine up and came up with a different #---- Standard trans

Last edited:
That's the wrong u joint for sure. There's no doubt in that. You definitely want the ones you can grease with the fitting in the body.

Went by O'Riley last night and picked up a new u-joint. I defiantly got the wrong part the first time. Appears I got u-joints for an automatic transmission from Rock Auto.

If anyone out there needs a set of u-joints for an auto just hit me up! I happen to have a set that I doubt I'll ever use.

Anyway here is a pic of the new and old. Correct joint on the left.

20191106_212613.jpg

Went back by O'Reilly's last night and grabbed another u-joint. Got them installed last night, and they are defiantly much better fitting than the last ones.

20191107_195744.jpg

Got it back on the car.

20191107_214717.jpg

I also picked up some lube for the axle. Oiled up the axle bearings and got the axles installed as well as the diff cover installed. I wanted to give the gasket material time to setup so I didn't put oil in it last night.

20191107_215657.jpg

I'm hoping with a little luck I can have everything back together this weekend and have it driving next week. That would be nice!

Reactions: 1 user
LOL. Yeah, it does make everything else look that much worse. At some point I'm going to have to go from one end to the other and clean and paint. I just want it on the ground so I can drive it for a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, so I caved. I decided to spend some time and clean up the rest of the rear end. I cleaned and painted the rear sway bar and I'm cleaning the diff. It wont be perfect but it will look better.
20191109_191808.jpg

Reactions: 4 users