Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

With the car on the lift I rotated the right wheel and the left wheel rotated. I went to the left wheel and rotated it. The right wheel did not rotate. I went back to the right and rotated it. The left did not move. Moved a little but did not spin. I let it sit and rotated the right wheel and the left wheel rotated. The drums are tight, but sudden it still rotate? Are the clutches bad?

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like I'm going to be replacing the clutches in my differential. On LMR's website they have 2 different sets listed. One is a little more expensive and is a Ford Performance unit. Any of you guys have an option on them. Is it worth it to buy the performance set?

Usually, the performance sets have different friction material and the heavier truck " z " spring. On a street car the regular one will be fine...unless you are running wide rear tires and push it to the limit a lot. Friction modifier is a must.

The factory one last a long time when set up right and not abused a lot. Most of the time it's old gear oil ( or new gear oil and no friction modifier ) that helped wear them out over the last 25 years.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
No race car here! I'm more in the Karthief territory here. Break the back end loose every once in a while but that's it. I think I will just get the standard clutch pack and call it done. I had plenty of friction modifier in the oil when I put it back together. I think either the new oil wiped the clutches or I put to much modifier in it. Can you do that? Just to be safe I am going to use new oil when I put it back together. I do not plan on changing the spider gears unless someone can come up with a convincing argument to compel me to do it. Right now there isn't much backlash in the gears and the spider gears look to be in good shape. If by some miracle LMR or someone has them on sell I would consider it.

As for the speedometer drive gear. I'm going to pull it all back apart AGAIN. I plan on documenting the entire process and doing a write up on it if there is still interest. I'll focus heavily on the solo installation of the shifter shuttle of course.

I fully expect to find the new retainer in the tail shaft housing in perfect condition. Thats how I found the last one. I'm going to get a new retainer just to be safe though. When I installed the drive gear both times the tail or the retainer was pointed to the back of the car. Can the retainer be installed wrong or backwards? I dont understand why it keeps popping off. Maybe I'm installing the driven gear wrong. I dont know. Any advice is welcome. Both time that I installed the driven gear it popped right in no problem.

Reactions: 1 users
This is what greeted me when I got the tail shaft housing off the transmission.

20200603_204931.jpg

I'm not sure why the gear came off. I find it interesting that the retainer stayed on the output shaft.

If it popped off two times the clip must have been backwards. The tail shaft spins counter clockwise going forward....causing the pressure on the drive gear to push it towards the rear of the shaft. That would mean the clip needs to be behind the gear...not in front of it. With the trans in neutral and tail housing off you can test this by putting a flat head gently in the gear groove and rotate the output counter clockwise. The gear should want to move towards the rear. You want the clip behind it to keep that from happening.

This video illustrates exactly how I installed the drive gear the last time I did this. I went back and looked to see if I installed the retainer correctly, assuming he installed his correctly. I installed it such that the drive gear is slid onto the retainer going toward the transmission, so from the back of the car to the front. If I install it the other way I will have to slid the gear past the retainer then install the retainer and slid the drive gear onto it from the other direction. Maybe I just didn't get the gear properly seated on the retainer. There is an area toward the end of the retainer that is raised to catch the gear and hold it on the retainer. I might even try to bend that part up a little more so that it holds better. I even pulled on the gear before I put it back together to make sure it didn't move.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5CCzgTRnc4&t=382s

The only reason I'm posting all this is so that if someone else has trouble like this maybe they will find this information and it will help them fix the issue. Other than that it really isn't value adding.

I forgot to bring the shuttle to work today, so I'll bring it tomorrow and take pics when I make the detent retainer strap.

I can't remember which way it goes. It's sad because I've rebuilt so many t5s and used to know them like the back of my hand. I just can't remember any details about that gear and retainer. Wish I could be of more help.

I think I understand what is happening. I bought a new drive gear retainer and tried to install the gear. Well actually the new new one broke when I tried to get the little part that holds the gear to bend out a little more.

20200604_204333.jpg

Anyway. I put the original retainer in the gear. The little clip is able to hold onto the gear.

20200604_204203.jpg

When I did the same with the newer retainer the little clip is trapped under the gear.

20200604_204233.jpg

I dont know how much you can really see in this pic but the clip on the top is the new one and the old one is on the bottom. Hopefully you can see that the part of the clip that holds onto the gear is longer on the new clip and shorter on the old one.

20200604_204124.jpg

The old one also stands up more to hold the gear better. Now I dont know if I want to try to use the old one or try to use the newer one. If I use the new one it will be very hard to install harder.

I ended up installing the gear using the old retainer. I've been warned not to do this so if I have to bust this thing open for a forth time I've only got myself to blame! The new clips just would not catch and hold the gear. Very disappointing. I went so far as to install the retainer backwards compared to how I've done it the last two times. I really yanked on it to try to get it to pop off the output shaft, but it stayed put like it should. I've really got my fingers crossed that I've done it right this time!

I ended up installing the gear using the old retainer. I've been warned not to do this so if I have to bust this thing open for a forth time I've only got myself to blame! The new clips just would not catch and hold the gear. Very disappointing. I went so far as to install the retainer backwards compared to how I've done it the last two times. I really yanked on it to try to get it to pop off the output shaft, but it stayed put like it should. I've really got my fingers crossed that I've done it right this time!

Good Luck man!! Hope third times a charm!

I got my widget for installing the shifter shuttle made.

20200605_102418.jpg

Each one is a slightly different size. I'll use the one that holds it best.

I took plenty of pictures for the how-to thread I'll put together later.