Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

And it's back together!

20200605_214048.jpg

Working slow it only took about 15 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

The rebuild wasn't to bad. 1 to 10 out of the things I've done. I'd put it at a 5. The worst part is putting the spider gears and S spring in. I really had to play with the gears to to get them to seat. Not the gears that go on the axles. The other two. They didnt want to rotate into position. They would almost go in and then stop. It's the little metal disk on the bottom that was hitting. Playing with it for a bit and they walked in. Lining them up is a pain though. Being on the lift made it a lot easier. Then trying to get the S spring in sucks. A pair of long nose vise grips helps a lot. Clamp it and use a hammer to get it started. You have to be careful not to rotate the gears out of position. I finished seating it with a punch. Yes, this was the first time I did this job. Second time installing the planetary gears though.

@CarMichael Angelo told me to do this the first time I had the rear end apart but I was intimidated by it. I wish I had just done it then.

We'll see if it actually worked when I finish putting it back together....

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Everything is back together, well as for the axle goes, and both wheels turn together! Now I just need to install the driveshaft and exhaust. Then I can take it for a ride.

20200607_220831.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
I wasn't able to get the dragging noise comeing from the rear brakes to stop before I did this job. When I took the left drum off. Which was stuck and a total pain to remove. I found that one of the retainer springs was loose. I fixed it when I put everything back together. I'm hoping that I fixed that problem as well.

20200607_215836.jpg

I wasn't able to get the dragging noise comeing from the rear brakes to stop before I did this job. When I took the left drum off. Which was stuck and a total pain to remove. I found that one of the retainer springs was loose. I fixed it when I put everything back together. I'm hoping that I fixed that problem as well.

20200607_215836.jpg
looks like your missing the bottom red spring...

after closer look, (and the fact that adjuster wouldn't say without it) I think I see the end of spring in the bottom left hole... so looks like you have the spring on the inside? Everything I seen/follow has it on the out side like the other springs.

go to 4:40 in video shows that getting installed -
View: https://youtu.be/cOozkwPu-Vs

Last edited:
At lunch today I went to O'Reily's and picked up a set of springs and hardware for the drums. I dont know if I just forgot to install that spring or if it came off. I'm thinking I didn't install it. If I had it would have to be in the drum and there wasn't anything in there.

I took the drum off last night. The spring was in there you just couldn't see it well in the pic I posted. I did replace one of the shoe retainers and its spring. It fell off again while removing the drum. I dont know what it is that I'm doing wrong, but I have the most trouble getting the drums off. They always seem to hang on something and are nearly impossible to get off. I've taken lots of drums off of other cars and never had as much trouble as I do with this mustang. I will not miss the drums once I get to upgrade to disk in the rear.

I've checked the inside of the drum and they are perfectly smooth. No ridges for the shoe to hang on and I back off on the adjuster until the shoes are loose. These are new drums as well. They fit really tight in the middle were the axle sticks through the center.

The next time I take them off I might try to open that hole up a little bit so there is no chance of it getting hung on the axle. I would imagine I need to be careful doing that because if I open it to much it could allow the drum to sit wrong and cause an imbalance issue. I dont know. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

I pulled the drum to inspect everything after @kendawg73 pointed out that the adjuster thing didnt look right. It isn't.

20200610_194722.jpg

Like this it will not work correctly. The spring was installed but different than recommend so I installed as shown in the videos. As can be seen here. The problem is the adjuster thing sits to low. If I push it up the cable attached to it sags like it is to long. I bought a new master rebuild kit yesterday so I compared the cables. They are the same. Do you guys think I have the wrong shoes?

20200610_194729.jpg
20200610_194734.jpg

Oh and I'm covered in antiseize now....

The cable pulls up on the lever and the spring pulls it back down to spin the wheel on the adjuster.
Picture the brake shoe moving out and pulls the cable, lifts the lever, shoe returns and the spring pulls the lever back spinning the wheel adjusting the brakes.
Now go wash your hands :doh: