Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

• Sponsors (?)

More than the usual break in?
To me it seemed excessive. I've never had to pull brakes apart right after putting them together like this. This whole thing has me scratching my head. I mean I completely rebuilt the brakes on this car right after I got it. No issues. I take it apart to work on the rear end and now I cant get it back together correctly.

Were looking at the drum in question right?

When driving the car you can hear a scrubbing dragging noise coming from one of the rear brakes. It gets faster or slower with speed. If you slightly engage the e brake the noise stops. It's either the drum, the shoes, or the hardware. Not sure. If I was I'd have fixed it by now.

Is that pad tapered across it?

I dont think so. I've put it all back together at this point. I'm hoping to get to take it out either today or tomorrow.

Wish me luck! Honestly if it's still making noise I dont know if I'm going to spend anymore time worrying about it. I really do plan on upgrading the brakes as soon as I can. If it gets worse then yeah I'll keep at it, but if it stays the same I'll send it.

I took the car out this afternoon. First leg no noise. Then I stopped to get gas. Left the station and its making noise. Went to Walmart to get some stuff. Left out with it making noise then the noise went away. I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm not taking it back apart. The disk upgrade is on the short list anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the car out this afternoon. First leg no noise. Then I stopped to get gas. Left the station and its making noise. Went to Walmart to get some stuff. Left out with it making noise then the noise went away. I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm not taking it back apart. The disk upgrade is on the short list anyway.
As long as you feel safe with the way it’s stopping and the feel of the brakes.... let it ride until you make the conversion. I’m sure it will tell you when things are “real bad”.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
You had better at least check the bolts that you loosened/ tightened. When the Monster first made his maiden voyage back in 2017, the rear caliper bolts backed out. Another time the front caliper bolts had backed out on the red car, and the entire caliper slipped and jammed the front wheel up so hard, it was like throwing a stick in the spokes of a bike. The car stopped dead right there. I had to walk back to the house, get a jack, and some bolts, and fix the car 3 blocks from my house.

• Surprised
Sound advice Mike. On this car's first maiden voyage after all the suspension work I noticed a wobble that got worse on the short ride. Wanna guess what it was?.... I've been over everything a few times since the last major work due to that first close call. The rear brakes are drums so I dont think anything will fall off like you described. At the moment everything feels good it just has a scrubbing noise coming from the rear. If it gets worse I'll dig back in. I'm not taking it to the strip or anything.

Not a lot to report. Had a busy weekend with friends in for the holidays. I did get the car out a little. The brake noise now only happens when applying the brake. So, there's that. I did take this pic of the car. I think I have brought this up before in this thread. As far as I can tell the car is straight, but the front of the car is crooked as hell! Looking at it from the front all the gaps open up as you get closer to the left side of the car, right side looking at it from the front.

20200704_133205.jpg

My fear is that one day in the future I'm going to take this thing in to get it fixed and painted and the shop is going to be like "you know this car has been totaled, right?" I dont think that is going to be the case though. I had that happen once with a different car. Long story.

As far as I can tell the car is straight, but the front of the car is crooked as hell! Looking at it from the front all the gaps open up as you get closer to the left side of the car, right side looking at it from the front.

The fenders have a good bit of adjustment to them so maybe someone had it off and didn't put the time in to get it adjusted perfectly like they should have? perhaps that side is lacking a spacer it once had as well. Eitherway poke around and you'll see stuff that will raise a red flag it was hit and not put back together right.

Tell tale signs are
Gaps where fender and cowel meet, are they uneven or one gap wider than the other
look closely at the lower radiator support, is it straight?
Mine took a hit there once (before I got it) so mine is slightly tweeked.
It's hard to really see some damage with the fenders on.

I wish I was about to write an epic update about all the awesomeness that I did to the car over the weekend and last week. If thats what you're looking for you can go ahead and go look at someone else's update. The wife has been after me for months now to sharpen her kitchen knives. I dont mind doing it, but for me it takes hours and its done in steps. But I got them all razor sharp again! Woop!

20200711_112612.jpg

That was Saturday day. Saturday night was excessive drinking with friends at a going away party for a mutual friend. I'll post about that in the beer thread.

Sunday was beach day. Fort Walton was beautiful Sunday.

20200712_140638.jpg

I promise to make some progress on the Fox this week.... I was out in the garage kicking the tires on the 65 making a mental list of what to do and what to do first.

Oh, my wife confuses the hell out of me sometime. Real shocker there I know. I mentioned the other day that one day I would love to own a land barge 64 convertible Lincoln Continental. She has latched on to that! She's like "how much do those cost"? "It could be my fun car" :doh: For anyone interested they are stupid expensive for a nice one, and complicated as hell. Thats what I need. A third car to not work on. They are super cool IMHO.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't done anything to the car lately. Way to hot and to busy, but I have a quick question, that I think I know the answer to or at least what you guys are going to say, and a comment. I've put over 500 miles on the car in the last couple of months! Thats the most I've been able to drive it since getting it.

Question. When I start the car, cold more than hot but sometimes hot, the rpms will just around wildly. Like from as low as 5/600 to over 1,300. It just sits there and surges for a bit. If I give it a little gas it will usually smooth out on the higher end. After it warms up a bit it stops doing it and it doesn't do it when I come to a stop in the car after driving it. I have not gone through the surging idle checklist. Honestly I dont know if I need to. I assume that apples more to cars that surge at idle all the time.

OK, I know I said one question, but I have a second. When driving at a constant speed, any speed, I can feel the car missing a little. Not bad just little dropping out. Maybe 10/15 rpm. If I accelerate it goes away until I'm at constant speed again. The car has all new ignition stuff on it. Salt/Pepper shakers?

Now the statement. I now understand why everyone says dont do exhaust dumps or just let the exhaust go straight out of the muffles with no pipe out the back. I have put several miles on this car since getting it back on the ground. I still need to fix the existing exhaust or break down a buy new pipes from the mufflers back. I have no AC so I drive around with the windows open. OMG I had no idea that the car would suck in so MUCH exhaust into the cabin of the car. It stinks SO bad. I stink like exhaust for hours after driving the car. It's terrible. So for anyone out there thinking about doing that mod, FOR THE LOVE OF SWEET BABY JESUS DONT DO IT!!!

Carry on.