Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

Well, I'm torn. I dont know if you've seen my other thread that I haven't really done anything with yet. I also have the 65. The Fox is my teenage throwback. I had a 90 in high school, but it was an auto. This one is the manual that I wished I'd had. My goal is to get it to a fun weekend, occasional drive to work car then drive into the 65. It's the first Mustang that I really interacted with in my life. My dad had a 67 GT 500 when I was really young but I only have vague memories of it. Now I have the 65 I grew up with. I plan to sink everything into it once the Fox is solid. The 65 will get paint first then the Fox. Hence the 5 year plan. I've got a really cool print of the 65 and my dad's pride and joy his plane that I found the other day. I'm going to try to get a decent pic of it tomorrow and I'll post it.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if this is an issue.

20200513_224935.jpg

The last time I took the axels out the gears all stayed in place. Not sure why it fell out this time.

I couldn't really see how it could be a big deal, but it never hurts to ask. I've got the axle here at work with me today. I plan to use the press at some point to press out the bad wheel stud. Tonight I'll install the new one and hopefully with a little luck have the rear put back together.

I started taking everything loose to get the tail housing off last night. I'm going to fab up some of the little strap things I made to allow me to put it back together by myself today. It should be an easy fix. Just not easy to get to! The last time I drove the car the speedometer would jump every once in a while. Not much, but it makes me think that something is moving around. I'd hate to trash one of the gears, so getting it fixed is a priority.

When I took the bolt loose that holds the pin going through the spiders gears in I rotated the wheel the wrong way. The pin rotated down and to the back of the axle housing. As soon as it got past the pinion gear it slid down and wedged against the housing. Pointed away from me. Not going to lie. I panicked for just a sec! I couldn't get my hand in there to move it. Eventually I did get it to move and it was no problem after that.

I'm glad I glance over my post before putting them up. The way I had this written at first could have landed me with a new brand! You guys are ruthless!

Reactions: 1 user
The spider gear didnt just fall out everything shifted. The holes are all out of line. I cant put the gear back in. The other gear is about to fall out. I'm not sure why everything shifted. I cant get it to move back. I'm going to start researching how to fix this. What do I need to do?

20200515_210409.jpg
20200515_210420.jpg

Spin the wheel until the windows to the S clip are positioned up and down. Place the spider gear and shim up top....hold the other spacer and gear at the bottom. Slowly rotate the wheel and they should walk themselves in. Do this process slowly making sure the spacers stay on the spider gears. When the holes for the pin lines up install the big pin and the pin bolt.

This guy does it a little different but same result.

View: https://youtu.be/WnZc7Dbn-Vk

Thanks @90sickfox ! I was looking at some similar videos last night. In that video it seems a bit easier because that diff doesn't have the S spring thing in it. I was trying to get the gears to rotate last night and not having a lot of success. I figured it best to stop while I was ahead and try again today with better light and no beers.

I probably did this the hard way, but it's done now. After removing the S spring I was able to get the spider gears to rotate. Then using some stubborn determination I was able to get the spring back in and everything put back together. Seems like a lot of extra work just to change a wheel stud!

20200516_142223.jpg
20200516_142513.jpg
20200516_143049.jpg

I probably did this the hard way, but it's done now. After removing the S spring I was able to get the spider gears to rotate. Then using some stubborn determination I was able to get the spring back in and everything put back together. Seems like a lot of extra work just to change a wheel stud!

20200516_142223.jpg
20200516_142513.jpg
20200516_143049.jpg
Why on earth did you pull the whole axle just to change a wheel stud?

The past time I pulled a axle it was super simple. The plan was to pop it out use the press at work and put it back together. The it went sideways. Honestly I might do it differently next time but I learned a lot putting it back together.

Once I got it apart the hardest part of putting it back together was the S spring. Clamping it with long needle nose pliers helped a lot to get it started. Using a rubber band on the pin through the spider gears was a bit help. If you look at the first pic you will see what I'm talking about. Doing it that way kept the gears from moving while my novice ass beat the S spring into place. Otherwise the pin would just fall through the gears. Doing this made me feel a lot better about the prospect of having to do clutches.

I got the housing off this afternoon. Thus is a familiar sight.
20200517_180358.jpg

I made another little helper to reinstall the shifter shuttle.
20200517_162212.jpg

And the issue. It appears that the little spring retainer that holds the speedometer gear on the output shaft is missing.

20200517_180455.jpg

When I ordered these gears the new retainer was broken so I had to reuse the old one. At least that's the way I remember it. I'm going to contact LMR tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement retainer. Does anyone know a better way or alternative?

Ideally brand new retainer clip for each install. They break easily that usually the act of removing them fatigues them enough.

As a rule. Don’t reused any c-clips or snap rings or clips in a t5. Once you remove them, trash them.

5th gear snap ring is one that typically stretches and fails leaving you with no 5th gear

Reactions: 1 user