Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't given up on the car! With everything going on in the world I haven't had the time to mess with it much. I've been spending a little time here and there trying to get the matting surface on the engine where the timing chain cover goes as spotlessly clean as possible. I dont have a pic handy, but there is some stuff that is stuck to it that absolutely will not come off. I can tell if its just discoloration of the metal or very thin old gasket material. My plan is to get some fine grit, 600+, sandpaper and attach it to a piece of wood. I'll use that to lightly sand the surface until it is bright metal. I'm using the wood to keep the pressure even and avoid creating dips. Is this a bad idea? I've used a scotch bright pad and wire wheel with little success. There are towels stuck in the oil pan and around the timing chain to keep everything as clean as possible.

Next week I'm going to get a little time away from work. I'll use that time to work on the car and finish building the bed for my 4 year old. We are sold out of material and covered in back orders. The owner is trying minimize the number of people on site and still keep everything going. I feel blessed that we still have work and the owner is keeping everyone whole even if they are not able to work 40 hours a week.

Stay safe everybody!

Reactions: 1 user
If it feels smooth when you rub a finger over it and there is no pitting I'd go with it, some discoloration is normal, I don't know about the sand paper thing. I use a thin layer of rtv on both sides anyway. Very thin.

I never use sandpaper around an engine. Those granules of sand come off so small that you'd never see them. It only takes a couple grains to kill a bearing. I'd use a metal file...but if you can't feel it with your finger it will be ok.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
This is as clean as I can get the surface. It is not super smooth as what you are looking at is putting. Any words of wisdom?

20200403_133822.jpg

20200403_133812.jpg

Looks good to me. Use a light smear of gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. You should be nice and sealed up. A few of the bolts also get gasket sealer on the threads before putting them in.

• Agree
Agree on the sealer on both sides of gasket. I had some pitting on my therm housing mount when I did it, a little smear of sealant on both sides and it was good.

I'm gonna go back out and do it again but I didn't find any bolt holes that went through to the water jacket on the block. :shrug:

I always put sealer on the long bolts...just a habit. I've always done it...never had a bolt leak. Never had a timing cover leak with putting sealer on both sides of the gasket either.

Speaking of leaks....where are those dang depends things ? :doh:

I used permatex Hi-Tack gasket sealer when I did mine. Ps I just read all 37 pages of your thread (damn surgery has me laid up) and would like to compliment you on your attention to detail and great work. Keep it up! You're going to have a killer car when you're done!

@Cheapskate207 Thanks for the kind words! I'm doing what I can. A lot of guys on here doing really awesome stuff, so it kinda motivates you to do a little better. I hope the surgery wasnt too invasive and you'll be back on your feet and wrenching on your car in no time!

I always run a tap thru the bolt holes to clean them out. Put a little thread sealer on the long bolts, a very thin smear on the gasket services. I use just enough to hold the gasket in place. The gasket needs to do the work of sealing, the silicone just fills in the pits and holds the gasket while you assemble.
Been a while since I looked at your thread....lots of progress!

It's on!
20200404_180940.jpg

I'm going to let it sit over night. Tomorrow at some point I plan on putting water in it and letting it sit. If there are no signs of leaks I'll finish installing the accessories and putting everything thing else back together.
20200404_181620.jpg

I picked up an OEM fan shroud the other day. I might have all ready posted this. The plan is to clean it up and then install it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The cooling system is back together. I let it sit for 24 hours and put coolant in it. I'll check it tomorrow and make sure it doesn't appear to be leaking. If everything is good. I'll put all the other accessories back on and put oil in it.