Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

There are two little plugs that plug into the tester. The dog house shaped one and two others lay in that corner. One is for the hood light...i think its an orange wire but could be wrong....the other is the fuel pump test connector. You want to plug the latter in the tester. I've seen several people make that mistake so thought I'd mention.

Almost all the fuel pump power wiring for any ford is pink with black stripe...but I'm not completely sure about that connector. I'm at work and nowhere near my car. Wish i could help more man.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Almost all the fuel pump power wiring for any ford is pink with black stripe...but I'm not completely sure about that connector. I'm at work and nowhere near my car. Wish i could help more man.

You've got a good point. I could have the wrong connector. I'll dig around back there and make sure I'm hooking up the correct connector.

A lot of us moved on to a MS platform bc of the computer and growth capability.

It's on the list!

Just checked the wires. I can only find one wire that is a single connector. Its white with a purple stripe. 20190524_154836.jpg

That's the one I was using. I didnt get much time with the car this weekend. When I hit test/hold the fuel pump cycles but that's all that happens. The computer ground wasn't in the best shape so I cleaned it up. The engine harness ground seems in good shape. I cleaned the connector but can't see the head. After that I still can only get the fuel pump to cycle. Hopefully I can catch a break at work today and do some research on my multi meter.

I was able to get to the car yesterday before it got too dark. I completely disconnected the battery and tested the computer test ground. Using my multi-meter I measured the ohms between the test ground and the battery ground lead. I got between 0.5 and 0.3 ohms. According to this post -- https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/why-cant-i-read-computer-codes.902617/#post-9105966 I need to pull the computer and start checking there. I'm just confused by the fact that it acts like it starts to dump codes then stops. I hope it isn't the computer. Knowing my luck it has an automatic O2 wiring harness that has messed up the computer.

I was able to get to the car yesterday before it got too dark. I completely disconnected the battery and tested the computer test ground. Using my multi-meter I measured the ohms between the test ground and the battery ground lead. I got between 0.5 and 0.3 ohms. According to this post -- https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/why-cant-i-read-computer-codes.902617/#post-9105966 I need to pull the computer and start checking there. I'm just confused by the fact that it acts like it starts to dump codes then stops. I hope it isn't the computer. Knowing my luck it has an automatic O2 wiring harness that has messed up the computer.

If you have a concern of the O2 Sensor harness why not just check it quickly. Thats a very easy check and will put your mind at ease.

You're right. Honestly I'm doing my homework today trying to figure out what to look for. I'm sure it is simple, but if you don't know what you are looking at it doesn't help much! Nice thing is there is a lot of information on here, so I'm sure I'll be ready for the weekend by the time I leave work today.

Checked the O2 harness and it is correct for a manual transmission. I was able to pull the computer last night and open it up. Everything looks OK. At this point I'll start checking continuity through the harness and on the board. I didn't get a chance to get under the car last night to check the condition of the harness, but thats on the list of things to check. From the last time I was under there I seem to remember it didn't look to great. The car has long tube headers on it and the harness was really stretching to get to the sensors. I did try to pull codes with the O2 harness disconnect and it still would not give any codes. The car sat for over 7 years before I got it running again. What is the life expectancy of the O2 sensors them selves? Is that something I just need to go ahead and be prepared to change based on age?

Comp 1.jpg

Comp 2.jpg

looks like you have a tuner hooked to the port on the ECM?

Yeah, when I bought the car it was sold as having a 347 in it and it wasn't running very well. I'm new to all this so long story short I got had on the 347 thing its just a good old stock 302 with stuff attached to it. In my infinite wisdom at the time I contacted a local shop that claimed to work on fox body mustangs and had the car tuned. He installed the quarter horse tuner that you see in the pic. Car did not run any better. At the time of the tune I still thought it had a 347 in it. About two days after getting the car back I moved out of the state. The shop I used was Rusty Knuckles Garage in Slidell LA.

There is a extender for the 02 wires that I used for my lts. Makes it easy to hang out of the way. Does not hurt to buy new sensors.
I've seen them on LMR. Actually they are on my LMR wish list! I want to get under the car and inspect everything. If I need a completely new harness I'll just buy everything together.

Yeah, when I bought the car it was sold as having a 347 in it and it wasn't running very well. I'm new to all this so long story short I got had on the 347 thing its just a good old stock 302 with stuff attached to it. In my infinite wisdom at the time I contacted a local shop that claimed to work on fox body mustangs and had the car tuned. He installed the quarter horse tuner that you see in the pic. Car did not run any better. At the time of the tune I still thought it had a 347 in it. About two days after getting the car back I moved out of the state. The shop I used was Rusty Knuckles Garage in Slidell LA.

ok so you have a QH, what I have read (I plan on getting one for mine to tune for the injectors ect… ) there is a battery on it (suppose to last a few years) ... if that goes dead you lose the tune and you will have to reload it again... maybe that is causing you the issues your having?

I do have a QH. It was installed last October so hopefully the battery isn't dead already. I brought the ECM with me to work today so that I can check a few things while on break. The next thing will be to check the main wiring harness and make sure I don't have issues there. I just don't have a lot of time to spend on the car right now. For what ever reason someone before me completely removed every wiring harness in the car.

I haven't been working on the car lately. We have been concentrating on getting the shop epoxied before I let the car and other stuff come in and drip all over the concrete. If you have kept up with what I've been up to the last few months then you know that the new house and shop have been big events in my life and pretty much take up all my time. I'm not complaining! The shop and the floor have been on the hit list for a long time now, but I've been waiting on my builder to finish some things up. I have a nice rant in an appropriate thread for anyone interested in those details. The repairs were finally made a couple of weeks ago so the wife and I have been working on the floor prep on the weekends as best we can with the three year old running around.

I ran into another snag over the past weekend. The concrete was supposed to be wire mesh reinforced not fiberglass reinforced. I already mentioned this concern earlier in this thread. But, when I asked my builder about it he promised it was not fiberglass.

I had my doubts, but I couldn't see fibers sticking up like I did on the garage floor. We got it all clean and prepped for etching. After the etching was done the floor turned into fiberglass hair city. :nonono:

So last night I start burning the floor with a propane brush torch. Which was actually kinda fun! Bad part is I've got a lot more cleaning ahead of me and according to the epoxy dealer I need to put an extra coat of primer on the floor to make sure you cant see any hairs as well as help the upper coats stick better. It was already a 2 part 2 coat system. Now it will be a 3 coat system.

I'm taking my time trying to do it right, but it is taking forever! Its gonna be worth it. The wife and I were lining out our weekend schedule for the summer and it looks like I might be done with the shop floor in August. Until then the car will just have to hang out.

20190618_062701.jpg

Actually nothing wrong with the fiber reinforced concrete. Mine has the rebar around the outside part, is your floor monolithic or stem wall?
You are correct there is nothing wrong with the fiber reinforcement. I want the floor to appear smooth once the epoxy goes on it, so I've got to do something about the surface fibers. I didn't do anything to the fibers in the garage and the epoxy made them stand out and be very visible. We put flakes on that floor though. The flakes hide the hairs.

Earlier in this thread you suggested using a brick to knock the hairs off. That was a good idea, I'm just to lazy to do that to that size floor. The fire was fun and fast.

I had to look up monolithic vs stem wall. My floor is monolithic. The perimeter was trenched and I had them pour the floor thicker where I put the lift. They put rebar around the outside as well. The slab is on a heavily compacted clay pad. Thats one good thing about being in south Alabama. Lots of clay!