This just in.... Evan Smith runs a 12.25 @ 117.18

That's what I thought too - until the 03 Cobra came out. Factory car, as fast as most tuner cars (faster in many cases) and very strong engine, comparably. Think about it - didn't the 03-04 Cobra make buying ANY tuner car those years, not-so-good of a deal? The 03-04 Cobra was a bargain compared to what else was offered. I think the GT500 is going to be similar.

stangonline said:
The 03-04 Cobra was a bargain compared to what else was offered. I think the GT500 is going to be similar.
The 03/04 was also $10K less than the GT500. Ford is trying to capitalize on the Shelby name, and the GT500 is not nearly so good of a deal as the 03/04 was. And even then, the 03/04 had problems selling in large quantities. It'll be interesting to see if "Shelby" is enough to sell 8-10k cars a year at $43K+. People shopping in that price range are not so "blue collar" anymore, and they are well aware of what else you can buy for mid-40's these days (much less $70K, as some dealers are currently asking for GT500's).

The bargain of the century is the C6 Z06. Compared to the GT500, the base C6 at the same price is a bargain.

I'll be interested to see how the whole GT500 thing shakes out. I'm a long time Ford owner, but so far I am not impressed with the recent Ford direction. I hope for their sake they've already got a replacement for the modular in development. Could get ugly otherwise. Or maybe they'll start putting blowers on regular GT's...

I agree with you 100%. I just had this discussion with someone at work today. There AREN'T that many people that can truly afford to purchase a car for $40K and even less who can spend $60K. Of those people who can afford that sum of money, only a fraction of them would want a GT500 anyway. Most others would be much happier spending $50K on an Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Corvette, Land Rover, Lexus, whatever.....

I think the supply of people who can and are willing to pay $60K for the GT500 will be exhausted pretty quick. Those prices will be coming down.

But I think we've drifted off topic a little...