TPMS sender question

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
OK this is in the " general " section......
I changed out wheels and tires on my 2020 Silverado truck here a few months ago.. Purchase some new wheel moniters that were sealed in GM packages off Ebay...
Had one go out, that I replaced a few days ago, today my system shows another wheel is not sending any info??

My understanding is these have batteries in them that do wear out......... Is there a chance I received some " older stock" that had older batteries in them???
Or what can I look for here???

• Sponsors (?)

OK this is in the " general " section......
I changed out wheels and tires on my 2020 Silverado truck here a few months ago.. Purchase some new wheel moniters that were sealed in GM packages off Ebay...
Had one go out, that I replaced a few days ago, today my system shows another wheel is not sending any info??

My understanding is these have batteries in them that do wear out......... Is there a chance I received some " older stock" that had older batteries in them???
Or what can I look for here???
Are you mounting your own tires or something? I generally just take the wheel into Discount Tire, and they figure that crap out.

Kurt

Are you mounting your own tires or something? I generally just take the wheel into Discount Tire, and they figure that crap out.

Kurt
I supplied the tires, wheels and the TPMS wheel monitors to the tire store who mounted and balanced everything..
The stock wheels and tires were removed and are stacked in my " parts room", so the sensors in the new wheels/tires are new, bought as a 4 pack off of ebay..
I purchased a programming tool to program each wheel sensor to the vehicles computer... All of that worked out great
6 months later my tire pressure warning light came on ( tire pressure was good) and my vehicle screen showed me which tire was not communicating with the system...
This is how I knew which wheel/tire was the problem.... Then I tried to reprogram it again with my programming tool and that wheel would not " honk" the horn ( what happens when you program the TPMS sensors to the vehicle)

I purchased another sensor ( ebay) the other day, had the tire store install it on the wheel/tire that was giving me a problem and all of the wheels tires worked fine when I reset the computer... Problem solved, I thought....

4 days later my screen is showing me a different wheel/tire is now not sending any tire pressure info......

So back to my original question, Could I have received OLD TPMS wheel sensors when I first did this ( 6 months ago or so) which would cause them to go bad so fast??? Again I am assuming the batteries in the sensors are going bad....

Last edited:
Wheel sensor tip of the day: get them from the dealer, they will last longer, it will cost you more at first but in the long run you won't be dealing with junk. I learned this from hanging at 'the shop' for years and having parts store monitors malfunction after a few months or not read at all, same with ebay stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Generall, I knew they were too cheap for a reason on Ebay.... All 4 were the price of ONE at the dealer.....
Same thing with OEM or Bosch Oxygen sensors.... More money but are much better.....

Reactions: 1 user