Drivetrain Tr3650 swap worth it? Or sn95 t5?

• Sponsors(?)

KRUISR

5 Year Member
Apr 16, 2015
$600 to purchase and install trans is reasonable to me. As always, depends if trans is good condition or not. Also, what is the tag number?

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
A used trans is a crapshoot. Trust me, i'm all for used parts and deals.
But driving to some guys house you don't know, 2 hours away, then taking your car apart?
Hell no.
It could go right, or it could go horribly wrong and cost you triple.

Smurfstang88

Nov 11, 2019
Virginia
A used trans is a crapshoot. Trust me, i'm all for used parts and deals.
But driving to some guys house you don't know, 2 hours away, then taking your car apart?
Hell no.
It could go right, or it could go horribly wrong and cost you triple.
While i agree its a bit risky, only because theres no telling if im gonna drive around for a week and have it blowup and be stuck with it. But other than that, i do know the man somewhat, he runs a pretty legit shop, builds high dollar engines, has like 20+ parts cars around all the time and sells them. Also have had him put gears in a car and a few other things before, he knows his stuff. Also it will need to be brought there on a car hauler. Only problem i have is needing to wait and go back and forth and thanks to Sleepy Joe, gas is expensive as :fuss:. The only other option is what spending like $2k plus on a new one so seems like a ok idea to me..

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Thats a good deal. I'm in VA ( fredericksburg ) but I have a farm down near the NC line. That's a damn good price even for down there. It's great not to have to gamble with fitting parts that weren't really meant to go together.

Reactions: 1 users

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
While i agree its a bit risky, only because theres no telling if im gonna drive around for a week and have it blowup and be stuck with it. But other than that, i do know the man somewhat, he runs a pretty legit shop, builds high dollar engines, has like 20+ parts cars around all the time and sells them. Also have had him put gears in a car and a few other things before, he knows his stuff. Also it will need to be brought there on a car hauler. Only problem i have is needing to wait and go back and forth and thanks to Sleepy Joe, gas is expensive as :fuss:. The only other option is what spending like $2k plus on a new one so seems like a ok idea to me..
This makes no sense to me.
Runs a legit shop and builds high end engines, yet he's going to sell and install a t5 trans for $600?
Why would a successful engine builder be selling and installing a trans at a discounted rate? He could probably just get the $600 for the trans and move on or use his time wiser, building engines...
As for gas prices, i think it's $72 a barrel, that is far from it's high. One could even argue at $3 a gallon, 15mpg at 200 total miles should you really own this car at all if you have to take gas prices into consideration for that short of a one time trip?

Last edited:

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
This makes no sense to me.
Runs a legit shop and builds high end engines, yet he's going to sell and install a t5 trans for $600?
Why would a successful engine builder be selling and installing a trans at a discounted rate? He could probably just get the $600 for the trans and move on or use his time wiser, building engines...
As for gas prices, i think it's $72 a barrel, that is far from it's high. One could even argue at $3 a gallon, 15mpg at 200 total miles should you really own this car at all if you have to take gas prices into consideration for that short of a one time trip?
Actually, after hanging around my friends shop for so many years I think he sounds like a stand up guy, I've witnessed my friend sell a car to a customer for just a few bucks more than what he had in it, he could have and originality intended to 'make a killing' on the car. The customer wrecked their car and the insurance didn't pay crap.
I'm thinking we wait to see if he gets the job done there and the trans falls out on the way home. Then we can send someone over to that shop and set fire to a bag of dog poo at the office door.
I can't see that swap take'n more than a couple hours in even a marginally equipped shop. With smoke breaks.
I'm root'n for him.
And as for the price of fuel? The price of do'n business.
You wanna play? You gotta pay!

Reactions: 1 users

Smurfstang88

Nov 11, 2019
Virginia
Update: its been a while but i finally got the car to him this last weekend and he called me this morning and already installed the trans. He says its a tremec and is sure that its in good working order and will drive it to be sure,so it looks good so far. Also he said that the person who put the 4cyl previous trans in didnt even change the pilot bearing and that the input shaft was basically just flopping around in the bigger 5.0 bearing:rlaugh:so that was what happened. Am also having him weld on some subframe connectors and fix the pinion seal leak for 200$ labor so seems a good deal to me. Happy so far!

Reactions: 2 users

Hoytster

I don't dare do that to my Knob
15 Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Cornwall, PA
Update: its been a while but i finally got the car to him this last weekend and he called me this morning and already installed the trans. He says its a tremec and is sure that its in good working order and will drive it to be sure,so it looks good so far. Also he said that the person who put the 4cyl previous trans in didnt even change the pilot bearing and that the input shaft was basically just flopping around in the bigger 5.0 bearing:rlaugh:so that was what happened. Am also having him weld on some subframe connectors and fix the pinion seal leak for 200$ labor so seems a good deal to me. Happy so far!

Sounds like the guy is taking good car of ya! Glad to hear it's working out.

Reactions: 1 user