Tremec 3550 (TKO) Too far to the right in the shifter hole?

79pace

something stupid will fall out of my mouth
Founding Member
Jul 21, 2000
Tulsa, OK
Guys I have had this car for a bit now and the shifter bolts have been hitting the shift bezel pretty good in 5th and R. I did a engine swap this weekend and figured I would find out why the tranny set that way when I had it out but when re installing everything is the same. Just sits a couple of inches too far right in the hole. I installed all new motor mounts and I have two different cross members and both have the same alignment. I lifted the motor back off the mounts to try and let the transmission move free but it almost looks like the cross member is the reason. Does the TKO need a different mount that maybe offsets it towards the driver? Or is my only recourse to try and slot the cross member? Anyone run into this?

• Sponsors (?)

Most of the alignment comes from the engine mounts. If the k member isn’t square, or there is accident damage in the front end, it could cause the trans alignment to be off.

Forcing the trans over and bolting it in place is not the solution as it could place stress in the bellhousing.

Jack the front end of the car and take a look down the drivetrain to see if anything looks off with alignment. Engine sits slightly off center to the pass side and should angle back to the drivers side

Nope, Was always a GT car. Its a two owner and the history is well known on it. T-5 was going out and replaced and been this way since the tremec was installed. I will try to get pics, but the shifter is basically coming up through the hole just a little further to the passenger side than it should be.

Yes, It was this way before the engine swap and this way after. I did all the swapping. Definitely all bolted down correctly. Just seems like it needs a offset motor mount. Is the mount different for a tremec than a T5?

As for damage I know it has never been wrecked but that does not mean the factory didnt put the K member in crooked. I will try to do some measuring at some point. Dont want to mess up the alignment and wear out tires but if the mounts are all correct then that is the only logical answer.

Was it straight with the T5

If so, then it should be straight with the 3550. Engine mounts are the same. The center line of the trans runs down the same centerline of the engine. That’s why I say either the engine isn’t seated properly and is off, or the trans centerline is off due to not being bolted up evenly for some reason

Honestly couldnt tell you if it was straight with the T-5 but the guy I got it from said he only noticed the shifter hitting the bezel after the swap. He had a shop install the transmission. It was like that when I got it and its like that now with all new motor and transmission mounts.

Finally got the pic. It's not way off but ita enough to make the bolts holding the shift arm onto the shaft dig into the bezel.
20200223_221334.jpg

I recently swapped from a T-5 to a TKO and noticed the same thing. Not a big difference but noticeable to my anal ass. It was perfectly fine with the T-5, meaning straight but seems a little off to the right now with the Tremec. I don't have a solution and have kind of gotten used to it now.

If it wasnt digging a groove in the shift bezel I would not worry as much. I may just use some shorter bolts or something but still annoying and no reason for it.

IF the bolt pattern on the Tremec is the same as the T-5, the only other variable would be the bell housing. I had to change to the FP Tremec bell housing from the stock. Didn't get a chance to compare the alignments of the two bell housings.

To me it feels like possibly the motor mount location is slightly to the side. When I put it in and was trying to put the cross member on it seemed like the transmission was in the right place at first but I had to pull the cross member slightly to the passenger side to get the bolts in.