Trunk lid question

Gs1987GT

Sep 25, 2019
MidAtlantic
Guys, good morning.

I'd like to buy a trunk lid for my 87GT convertible to replace the factory one with the luggage rack on it which I do not care for.

I'm assuming any from an 87-93 notch would work, correct?

The convertible trunk has those fake hinges on it that go over top of where the main hinges are. When I go to the notch trunk lid, what is involved in installing the fake hinges on the notch trunk lid? Is it simply drilling holes? How do those fake hinges attach to the trunk lid?

I'd rather they not be there at all, however they (fake hinge) attaches to the trim that runs along the bottom of the convertible top, or covers the top body line on the convertibles, so I'm going to have to put them on the notch trunk lid

Thanks Gents!

• Sponsors (?)

CJ is 1 hr 45 mins drive from me to the north. Hopefully I'll be heading that way for a reason and combine the task into the trip. I go to car show events in Carlisle PA sometimes. Maybe then...

Thanks guys. I wasn't too worried about finding the trunk lid itself as much as what to do with the fake convertible hinges when I change it out.

I'm going to try to find a good used trunk lid locally and if not I'll make the trip to CJ to pick up one of theirs.

Thanks guys. I wasn't too worried about finding the trunk lid itself as much as what to do with the fake convertible hinges when I change it out.

I'm going to try to find a good used trunk lid locally and if not I'll make the trip to CJ to pick up one of theirs.

How far are you from CJ?

I saw a thing on the web where a body guy welded up the rivet holes. Then he filled the light hole. Light Bondo , and paint. That is probably expensive to paint , but a few estimates might do the trick. At least you know the body lines would be perfect.

Just to clarify a little for anyone coming across this thread later on, the 'vert "fake" hinges aren't fake. More accurately they ARE the trunk hinges, just exterior mounted as opposed an interior (underside) trunk lid hinge mounting. Not trying to bust your balls, just wanted to help prevent any confusion for later readers down the road.

Regarding your desire to have coupe style hinges, hopefully you understand there's very little room on the underside in a 'vert in order to mount them and their respective spring setup. What I think you believe to be hinges on the underside of a 'vert, well, aren't. They are the spring assemblies. Without the exterior hinges in place the trunk lid will pivot forward on them and hit the body. The front of the trunk lid will not sit down with just them attached as they will push up on the trunk lid and rock forward.

The exterior hinges are held to the the body by self tapping bolts that go in from the outside (two of them). In order to get to them you have to remove the cover portion which also forms part of your rear body trim. The cover is held down by 2 small sheet metal screws from the underside . To get to them, they're located inside in the top well area, behind the well liner. Easiest way I found to get to them was to unbolt the lower tack strip for the top. If it sounds like they're a pain to get to, they are!! The trunk side of the hinge is simply held on from the underside by 3 sheet metal screws similar to those on the front cover. They're pretty easy to get to.

I'd STRONGLY suggest unbolting the spring assemblies BEFORE removing the exterior hinges for the reason explained above. Otherwise you'll be doing some paint touchup to the panel in between the top and trunk lid. To help visualize where bolts and screws are located on the trim around the top opening and the trunk hinges I'd suggest looking for the parts on Ebay. Most sellers show photos of both sides of the respective pieces which helps greatly in locating the positions on your own car whenever you're trying to find/remove them. 'Verts are as royal PITA to remove or install these parts. I know Ebay pics helped me out better than any other resource I could find.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Just to clarify a little for anyone coming across this thread later on, the 'vert "fake" hinges aren't fake. More accurately they ARE the trunk hinges, just exterior mounted as opposed an interior (underside) trunk lid hinge mounting. Not trying to bust your balls, just wanted to help prevent any confusion for later readers down the road.

Regarding your desire to have coupe style hinges, hopefully you understand there's very little room on the underside in a 'vert in order to mount them and their respective spring setup. What I think you believe to be hinges on the underside of a 'vert, well, aren't. They are the spring assemblies. Without the exterior hinges in place the trunk lid will pivot forward on them and hit the body. The front of the trunk lid will not sit down with just them attached as they will push up on the trunk lid and rock forward.

The exterior hinges are held to the the body by self tapping bolts that go in from the outside (two of them). In order to get to them you have to remove the cover portion which also forms part of your rear body trim. The cover is held down by 2 small sheet metal screws from the underside . To get to them, they're located inside in the top well area, behind the well liner. Easiest way I found to get to them was to unbolt the lower tack strip for the top. If it sounds like they're a pain to get to, they are!! The trunk side of the hinge is simply held on from the underside by 3 sheet metal screws similar to those on the front cover. They're pretty easy to get to.

I'd STRONGLY suggest unbolting the spring assemblies BEFORE removing the exterior hinges for the reason explained above. Otherwise you'll be doing some paint touchup to the panel in between the top and trunk lid. To help visualize where bolts and screws are located on the trim around the top opening and the trunk hinges I'd suggest looking for the parts on Ebay. Most sellers show photos of both sides of the respective pieces which helps greatly in locating the positions on your own car whenever you're trying to find/remove them. 'Verts are as royal PITA to remove or install these parts. I know Ebay pics helped me out better than any other resource I could find.

No worries, thanks for the help. To be honest, I have not yet looked real close at the assembly and I incorrectly assumed they were just covers. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Sounds like its going to be a major pita to get it apart but is what it is.