Unilite tuning

I need some advise for tuning my dist. I have a Mallory Unilite vacuum advance dist with a 600 Edelbrock carb. I've done alot of tuning and have narrowed my problem down to my distributer. My car likes to studder and bog really hard with the vac advance hooked up. If you unhook it, the studdering clears up and it sounds smooth. What do I need to do to fix this prob? The only info I have found is by purchasing a book. Any help? Thanks.
 
take the vacuum line off the carb end, and suck on it. if the mechanical advance doesn't move at all, you've got a bad vacuum unit diaphragm.

mallory sells replacements i believe
 
To much advance to early.
at idle you and low throttle it sounds like you have full advance/full vacuum.
check to see if you have the vacuum line hooked up to a PORTED vacuum port, that means that you have NO vacuum at the vacuum line at idle but have vacuum when the throttle opens.
If that is correct then you should look at a advance curve kit from mallory.:nice: