V8stang289's 86 Gt That's Taking Way Too Long -progress Thread -

Spent an afternoon last week masking and spraying the moldings and headlight surrounds with SEM trim black.
frontend_zpssouflhbv.jpg

fr_zpsy8f2eil0.jpg

rear_zpsjtq8idqh.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Then today I put the emblems, headlights, and tail lights on. I also installed the spoiler and the rear hatch window molding. Just have to get the mirrors installed, and interior door panels and front seats back in, and get the wheels painted. Front windshield has a crack that developed recently, so I'm waiting on that to be replaced before I install the cowl vent, wipers, and molding.

frontend1_zps2b2m3ypw.jpg

taillights_zpsmndbq5oo.jpg

and just because...

5.0_zpsqpyz77dj.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
For those interested, I used Summit Racing's urethane paint, Ultra Blue Pearl. I also used their High Solids urethane clear. I'm no expert by any means, but it mixed easily and sprayed well from my cheap ingersoll rand gun. It is very reasonably priced, but only time will tell how well it holds up.

That's all the progress for now. Hope to get a few more things buttoned up in the next few days, and hopefully get the windshield installed this week. I've done every bit of work on this car other than charging the a/c, but I'm going to farm out the windshield. It's one of those things where its more cost effective to let a pro do it than to try and screw it up myself :D

Just about got it all together, still need to put the wipers on and a few little odds and ends to finish. Top right of the windshield molding is standing a little proud since the safelite guy left 2 clips out. I'm having a little trouble getting them back in due to the dried urethane, but i'll get it figured out. Also got an exhaust leak at the driver side header to get sorted out.
done_zpsqodysnzt.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Haven't updated this thread in a long time. Haven't done much to the car except drive it. I did add foglights and a Hood scoop over the last couple years, as well as MM subframe connectors and SVE CC plates.
I also made some "J-pipe adjustable resonators" to kill the flowmaster drone at hwy speeds. It was so bad it was giving me a headache after 10-15 minutes of driving at 55-60. I know a lot of people hate on the flowmasters, but I love the way they sound at idle and on the throttle, but the drone was just impossible to live with. I decided to try these before getting new mufflers. They dramatically reduced the drone and the car is much more pleasant to drive.

When I was mocking them up.
jbend res.jpg

On the car
jbend ucar.jpg

The right side hangs down a bit more than I wanted, But I haven't had any issues with it.

I'd give you two thumbs-up on that last image but the Admin around here is an ass-hat and only allows one. :shrug:

Great work man. I really like what you did with that 83(?) scoop. Looks awesome :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
Bringing this one back to life.
A lot has happened since I posted in this thread. New job and a new house among other things.
Mechanically the car is still doing well, the only issues are cosmetic.
I've had a little rust bubble up at the bottom of the doors (which weren't the straightest to begin with) and I've had some paint issues.
I painted it with a 20 gallon compressor in a makeshift popup/plastic booth in the back yard. Not sure if it was moisture content in the paint, or I got the mix ratios wrong, but at about 3.5-4 years the paint started checking really bad across the roof, hood, and other top surfaces. Then it progressed to peeling on the roof.
In the past few months I've picked up a nice set of doors and a good set of fenders. I plan to get it stripped/sanded down, and do a repaint in the fall hopefully. I've got a much better compressor setup now, and better spray guns too, so hopefully it'll turn out better this time.
I'm going to try to keep on it better this time and document the progress.

Snapchat-90729121.jpg

Reactions: 1 users