venturing into the Ford community. (in a way) new to Mustangs. Love the Foxs. would like some input on front suspension.

Long story... always been a chevy guy, But lets be real. Drag racing and Fox mustangs go hand in hand.... SO,

January 1st, the wife decides to wreck our 04 Tahoe. :)... pulled the L59 and 4l60e out, bought a 88 T Top GT roller for 1100 bucks. sold the tahoe body for 1000.

pulled the heads off, set of 862s.... buy some 799 heads and took them to Grantham Racing engines in Bishopville, SC to get a port and mill job. ( still in that process )

going with a custom nitrous cam from Cam Motion, double springs, blah blah blah...

claims im gonna have between 460-480 hp on motor. plus a 150 shot.

while all thats in the works, I found a AJE K member, Spring Perches, transmission cross member, LS motor mounts, and Speed engineering long tubes.
Picked up brand new still in the box for $660

Today I cleaned up the Engine bay, and pulled the stock Kmember. took out the AC stuff, and am going to put a manual rack in it.

now, im between putting the factory springs and stuff back in it.... I dont have the funds for Coil overs. ( married two kids and only one working) lol

Im not in a hurry, ive had the car for 6 months and this is as far as ive gotten on it.

my question is What can i do as far as the front end for a weekend rider/drag car. Ive seen the coil over kits to make the factory style struts a coil over, BUT DOES IT HOOK.

I could have just slapped this thing together. but i decided to take my time with it and build up the top end of the engine and go with a tubular k member, i want this to be a once and Done..........

the car is a manual and im going with a 4l60 until it blows.

my kids a very young and ive got 2.5 years to get it done before the world of school starts!! lol

any help on my next move would be greatly appreciated..... and sorry for droppng a chevy motor in it. but its what im used to. and im comfortable working on the chevy engines.

because of budget, i am keeping the 4 lug set up, i will be putting new calipers, brake lines and rotors on it.,,,, just need some help on the front suspension.

GOTTA FIX THE DANG COWL where the hood flew up on the previous guy too.......... yay

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 993
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 216
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 228
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 215
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Sponsors (?)

Just leave the stock springs in or fight 4-cyl springs to put in. Get 90/10s or even better strange adjustables in front and rear. Consider putting b-springs from LMR.com in the back, which will give is a backwards rake, but helps with launch. If you're serious about racing, get subframe connectors, reinforce the torque boxes, get upper & lower rear control arms adjustable preferred. For a street/strip car I'd run poly bushings. Good luck!

Good advise above.
Yes 4 cyl front springs work and can be had on the cheap, think I threw a set out a few months ago.
Definitely weld in a set of sub frame connectors and torque box reinforcements.
Good luck with the young family...you think starting school is expensive wait until they go to college !!

Just leave the stock springs in or fight 4-cyl springs to put in. Get 90/10s or even better strange adjustables in front and rear. Consider putting b-springs from LMR.com in the back, which will give is a backwards rake, but helps with launch. If you're serious about racing, get subframe connectors, reinforce the torque boxes, get upper & lower rear control arms adjustable preferred. For a street/strip car I'd run poly bushings. Good luck!
You got the part number on the B springs? And I was looking at some of the strange struts last night, the single adjustable aren’t too expensive.... also where can I get the rubber pieces before I put the springs back in the front? And also is the lower control arms worth it?

look how big the slots are on this Kmember... it’s terrible. Washers... and yeah. Isolators. I’ve only messed with coil overs on my other cars. And I’ve always been scared to pull a coil spring until now! thank you for the help! Sorry for the noob questions. That’s why I’m here! Just ordered poly isolators and the strange struts. I’ve been trying to find pictures of cars with factory front springs and B springs in the back. Having some difficulty finding that.... that would not give me a wretched “Carolina squat?”

Reactions: 1 user

Sorry that the angle isn't great. Best I can do. Don't have the car anymore. B-springs in the rear. Stock in front. Cut a 1.83 60' on stock sized 225/55/16 all-season goodyears. Never put it on Drag Radials, because I feared for the T5.

I got on FB marketplace this morning and found some used strange single adjustable struts with the UPR coilover kit from a guy who changed his mind on his build. its about 40 minutes from me in Rock HIll sc, the guy said he would give me my choice of the springs that he had and i could get all of it for 260 bucks.. needless to say i canceled my order from yesterday. so right now im going to have 920 dollars in strange struts with UPR coilovers, AJE K member, Transmission Cross member, motor mounts, headers, and spring perches....... i think im doing pretty good so far....... now i need to sell my spring perches.

total so far.
paid 3500 for the tahoe and drove it 3 years.
pulled motor and tranny computer harness.
sold the tahoe for 1000.
bought the car 1100.
660 for the AJE kit and
260 for this coilover kit.
300 dollars for a pair of 799 heads

i feel like i got 2500 dollars worth of driving the tahoe for 3 years so haha i am cancelling that out.... you be the judge of that.

i believe im doing pretty good....
are the factory struts, K member worth anything? i find it hard to believe that someone will buy a factory k member.. i guess it would be scrap.

look how big the slots are on this Kmember... it’s terrible. Washers... and yeah. Isolators. I’ve only messed with coil overs on my other cars. And I’ve always been scared to pull a coil spring until now! thank you for the help! Sorry for the noob questions. That’s why I’m here! Just ordered poly isolators and the strange struts. I’ve been trying to find pictures of cars with factory front springs and B springs in the back. Having some difficulty finding that.... that would not give me a wretched “Carolina squat?”

Uncut B rear springs are actually pretty tall. You might be fairly close to level.

Those slots in the K-member are pretty typical. I need to check the install directions for my MM k-member but I believe they provide hardware which may include washers to help grab the slot better.

Uncut B rear springs are actually pretty tall. You might be fairly close to level.

Those slots in the K-member are pretty typical. I need to check the install directions for my MM k-member but I believe they provide hardware which may include washers to help grab the slot better.
I grabbed some washers last night. I grabbed some washers yesterday for them. there’s no way I’d run that. I even through about making a plate with 2 smaller
Holes to go over it... but that makes
Me feel better. And I’ll get some B springs for the rear when I get to working on the back. Right now I’m trying to get everything on the front so I can drop the engine in. I appreciate the help... I made an account on ls1tech.com for some help too and posted basically the question. You guys are the only ones that have had any input

That k member while on the cheaper side is great . We have used it to do a BBC swap . Pulled thay and used it for a coyote . Also did a 2jz in my buddies car and built mounts for that k . It’s great .

If it we’re me , coil overs up front , team z drag spring in the rear.

Strange single adjustable front and rear . Making them hook really depend on how much you get that rear suspension dialed in . Pinion angle , instant center play a huge roll in the car working

Last edited: