Washer Fluid Pours out of bottom of car, only when you activate the washers.

gosoh

Oct 14, 2019
San Diego
Hi all!

My 2000 Mustang GT has an interesting problem, I activated the windshield washers in my driveway today, and nothing happened! The pump made a noise and everything but nothing happened. Then I got out if the car and noticed a large puddle of washer fluid under my car, not even on the top where the nozzles are! This only happened when I activated them.

What figures? How do I check the system, where is that located? I know it's somewhere in the fender but I don't know how to access it to look for breaks or anything like that.

Thank you so much for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like a broken hose or a cracked pump housing. I went out and took a quick look at mine. I doubt you can get at it to even see it without removing the inner fender/splash guard, but worth a try if you can jack the car up and put it on jackstands so you can look up in there. The inner splash looks like it is held in place with the serrated plastic body trim clips/retainers which can be pried out...I have some trim tools specific to the purpose, but you can do it carefully with two screwdrivers in a pinch. Once you get the splash out of the way so you can get eyes on, it should be fairly easy to find the leak.

It sounds like a broken hose or a cracked pump housing. I went out and took a quick look at mine. I doubt you can get at it to even see it without removing the inner fender/splash guard, but worth a try if you can jack the car up and put it on jackstands so you can look up in there. The inner splash looks like it is held in place with the serrated plastic body trim clips/retainers which can be pried out...I have some trim tools specific to the purpose, but you can do it carefully with two screwdrivers in a pinch. Once you get the splash out of the way so you can get eyes on, it should be fairly easy to find the leak.
Ok got it, thank you for replying. Ill check it out as soon as I can tomorrow, I wash my car often but my driveway is under a tree so pollen can coat the windshield and make driving dangerous during sunset times, so I need that washer working for safety reasons. I will get back when I have gotten under the car.

Happy hunting! Obtw, it will likely be pretty obvious, but I neglected to mention taking the wheel off before messing with the inner splash. Hope you find it. My grand daughter's VW New Beetle needs a washer tank/pump and a radiator...the only way to get at them is to pull the front fenders and pan off. A tight fit in some of these cars.