What clutch should I invest in?? H/C/I Supercharged car...........(KILLERCANARY LOOK)

So far I have my front brakes/wheels off, my interior out, my transmission out nad my engine is coming out hopefully before the weekend. While im at it I figure I might as well cough up some extra money and get a new clutch since hopefully I will be getting some new alluminum heads, and a cam. H/C/I/ Supercharger sounds like its gonna need more then the stock clutch I have. Killer what did you have? I remember it was expensive but you swore by it. Maybe something cheap like a king cobra? Would that work for a while or will i be making too much power? What do you all recomend?

• Sponsors (?)

I have just about the same clutch as Paul. We both have a blueprinted FMS HD pressure plate (orange paint) made to handle 450+hp and high rpm's. The disk I have is a mcleod dual friction. I talked with Jeff @ nitrostangracing and we talked about my combp and goals and he highly suggested this pressure plate.

I think the kit goes for $289 not sure if that includes a t/o bearing or not.

Grn92LX said:
I have just about the same clutch as Paul. We both have a blueprinted FMS HD pressure plate (orange paint) made to handle 450+hp and high rpm's. The disk I have is a mcleod dual friction. I talked with Jeff @ nitrostangracing and we talked about my combp and goals and he highly suggested this pressure plate.

I think the kit goes for $289 not sure if that includes a t/o bearing or not.
How are the street manners with this clutch? Good for a daily driver, also how is longevity? I need a new clutch and am still figuring out what I should get.

984.6gt said:

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

I'm not even going into why you should NOT get the spec stage three, I've covered that I think more than why I like AFR heads...

Anyway, I LOVE my clutch. Its done EVERYTHING I wanted it to... great street manners, able to be slipped when racing on drag radials, and it will hold like no other when I drop the clutch at 5000+ on ET streets which my old FMS HD would never do. The clutch I have is actually listed in Pro Motion's latest advertisement in Race Pages and is rated at 700+hp. You really can't go wrong with it. The pedal effort is a little less than my old FMS HD setup. Call Walt at (800) 771-6843 and tell him you spoke with me (the guy with the yellow '95 in 5.0) and ask about the "Kustom" clutch setup. I have the orange PP (like Mike said) with a organic/metalic disc. Walt will ask you what you hjave in terms of power, weight, etc. I would have been OK with the clutch he offers that is one step down from mine in terms of power, but with my weight and the fact that a HD clutch was slipping on the launch he felt I should go with the orange one.

Hmmm... to the best of my knowledge the clutch PP, disc, TO bearing, and clutch alignment tool was ~$320 and the quick release quadrant/cable was ~$120 but don't hold me to that as its been a while!

Certain clutch disc materials require you to run a billet steel flywheel. If you use the stocker and the wrong type the clutch disc will actually chew up the stock iron flywheel. My PP is OK to use with the stock flywheel as that is what I use.

Killercanary said:
:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

I'm not even going into why you should NOT get the spec stage three, I've covered that I think more than why I like AFR heads...

Anyway, I LOVE my clutch. Its done EVERYTHING I wanted it to... great street manners, able to be slipped when racing on drag radials, and it will hold like no other when I drop the clutch at 5000+ on ET streets which my old FMS HD would never do. The clutch I have is actually listed in Pro Motion's latest advertisement in Race Pages and is rated at 700+hp. You really can't go wrong with it. The pedal effort is a little less than my old FMS HD setup. Call Walt at (800) 771-6843 and tell him you spoke with me (the guy with the yellow '95 in 5.0) and ask about the "Kustom" clutch setup. I have the orange PP (like Mike said) with a organic/metalic disc. Walt will ask you what you hjave in terms of power, weight, etc. I would have been OK with the clutch he offers that is one step down from mine in terms of power, but with my weight and the fact that a HD clutch was slipping on the launch he felt I should go with the orange one.

Does the king cobra share the same pressure plate? no right? if so seems like would make for a softer pedal feel and could still use that same mecleoud disk or whatever and would be a similiar setup to yours since its suppose to be rated the same as the FMS HD clutch

igotyofire said:
Does the king cobra share the same pressure plate? no right? if so seems like would make for a softer pedal feel and could still use that same mecleoud disk or whatever and would be a similiar setup to yours since its suppose to be rated the same as the FMS HD clutch

The King Cobra has a different pressure plate than the FMS HD. The King Cobra is softer...I prefer (after driving both) the King Cobra no doubt. Same holding power but with a smoother/softer pedal feel :nice: I just pay another $20 bucks to get that feel...well worth it to even a poor college kid like me :)

Its not enough for you if you run on sticky tires. 400HP is what the HD is rated for and I'm fairly positive the KC isn't rated for anymore. The KC is a waste of money compared to the FMS HD, but that's only my opinion ALONG WITH DON WALSH who designed it. :D

Spec Stage 3 Hybrid here...rated @680ft lbs, came with pp/disc/pilot bearing/throw out bearing/align tool for 340$
Best damn clutch I have ran in 5 years..peadal feel is softer than my Stage 2, no chatter, all around this clutch blew me away.

Chris

Killercanary said:
Its not enough for you if you run on sticky tires. 400HP is what the HD is rated for and I'm fairly positive the KC isn't rated for anymore. The KC is a waste of money compared to the FMS HD, but that's only my opinion ALONG WITH DON WALSH who designed it. :D

It's funny you run this set up...my buddy, that owns and runs a mustang shop, bye my house, told me the same thing! Thats what I've got in my Cobra. He told me it was rated to 500rwhp. I do like my clutch set up very much. I haven't taken it to the track with my M/t's streets yet, But I'm sure it will hold up just fine!

Killercanary said:
Why is the KC a waste of money compared to the HD? It's only about a 10-20 dollar difference. From what I've seen you can get the KC for $169, same holding power, better pedal feel...am I missing something here?