• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

What hit New Mexico???

  • Thread starter Thread starter 02GTRX
  • Start date Start date Oct 18, 2006
0

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
20+ Year Stangneter
Sep 27, 2004
213
8
19
Oct 18, 2006
#1
  • Oct 18, 2006
  • #1
I live in a small city called Las Cruces,NM. We dont have any amuesment parks but we do have 2 wal-marts..any way a couple of miles west of us at our ''airport'' a new idea lighted in someones head and is already undergoing development. What am I talking about? well ill tell you. Its called "rocket racing league'' the nascar of the sky. Certain individuals will take part in racing rocket powered planes in our sky. 167 acres have been bought already with another 147 acres available. Construction on the first 2 hangers and main infrastructure will commense this november with a completion date of september 2007 and test flights as soon as october of '07. Not only that but 17 miles north of us another extreme project is well under way. This is going to be the FIRST spaceport anywhere. For a rumored $250k a seat you will have the opportunity to be launched into space for a few hours and be brought back down. 1 test rockets were launched (unsuccessfully) this month. It blew up at 14000 feet I believe and they dont know why. Construction for this project has already started though with a completion date of september of '09 I believe. Not to far from there plans for a Nascar stadium is also still up in the air, I dont really care for nascar so I havent kept track of their development. Id really like to see all this happen soon to bring some development and money into our small city...there really isnt much to do here...anyway just thought Id share with you all.:SNSign:
 

myponyrocks

I have more billet on the Stang than most women ha
Apr 18, 2004
1,219
0
37
Oct 18, 2006
#2
  • Oct 18, 2006
  • #2
hmmm is this one of those "History repeats itself" dealies... hasn't been aircraft racing since the prop job barnstorming movement. Other than the occasional car vs jet BS
 

Superhereaux

chicks make me feel inadequate
Founding Member
Jul 30, 2002
538
3
59
South Texas
Oct 18, 2006
#3
  • Oct 18, 2006
  • #3
02GTRX said:
I live in a small city called Las Cruces,NM. We dont have any amuesment parks but we do have 2 wal-marts
Click to expand...


 

MineralMan

Active Member
May 17, 2005
146
76
38
San Diego, CA
Oct 19, 2006
#4
  • Oct 19, 2006
  • #4
02GTRX said:
I live in a small city called Las Cruces,NM.
Click to expand...


I used to live in Las Cruces.... about 6 years ago. I went to school at NMSU. It's interesting to hear about the development about that. Is this going up near the Arroyo Seco racetrack (if that's still even around)?
 

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
8,297
1,358
194
Cincinnati area
Oct 19, 2006
#5
  • Oct 19, 2006
  • #5
Much cheaper to buy land like that in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure the govt wouldn't allow a spaceport to be built next to NYC or Chicago. Thousands of pieces of spacecraft fall from 14k feet all over Times Square! I wonder if New Mexico even has zoning laws?!?

And for 250k bucks.... Geez, if only I had money to spend on stuff like that.
 

d98gt

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
4,505
59
204
SE Texas
Oct 19, 2006
#6
  • Oct 19, 2006
  • #6
Yeah, I was going to ask about that being the town where NMSU was located Whats the population?
 

speedfreak98r

Banned
Jan 31, 2006
0
0
0
Houston Area
Oct 19, 2006
#7
  • Oct 19, 2006
  • #7
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/f1fd870c7a079010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

It's gotta be better than Nascar.
Nascar=
 
0

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
20+ Year Stangneter
Sep 27, 2004
213
8
19
Oct 19, 2006
#8
  • Oct 19, 2006
  • #8
Its alot closer than the arroyo seco raceway (yea its still there) Its right up picacho hill. The spaceport people bought the acres at fair market value $25k and acre. The other 147acres are undeveloped and they will get them for $13k an acre. Im not sure of the population...ill have to get back to you on that one...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Why a dissapointment - I say the new Mustang is a winner!
  • sondesign
  • Jan 4, 2004
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
29
Views
6K
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 5, 2004
Jquintel
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?