What is the RIGHT way to change the wiring for an AOD-to-T5 swap??

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I know the 1-foot long reverse harness is all most people change, but i've heard this method isn't really the proper way.

I want a factory original OEM conversion..that includes running a 5-spd A9L and having the NSS on the t-5 hooked up and function.

My understanding is the AOD harness does not have the provisions for the NSS?? If so, that means i need to replace the entire trans harness from where it goes through the tunnel and into the car out to the reverse and NSS harness? I also beleive the VSS hooks up to this as well??

I have a harness here i beleive i took from a 5-spd at the boneyard with the p/n e7zb-bf-7e443 however every time i run it it shows as an AOD harness. Unfortunately it's cut so i'll need to go to the junkyard and find another harness somewhere.

But has anyone else gone the extra mile and looking for the proper trans harness?

• Sponsors (?)

My prob is i'm speed density now. I want to swap to mass air soon and I have an A9L computer.

Kinda why i want a OEM t-5 harness setup.

Granted, i've never heard of anyone changing this harness, so maybe i'm overthinking it

That harness is the only one that needs to be changed. I guess I don't understand your question. There is no "one foot long reverse harness".

The two wire pigtail harness that runs from the reverse switch to the T5 tunnel harness is my guess. It's about a foot long:).

There is an issue when using the A9L with the AOD O2 sensor harness. Apparently it fries the corresponding pins in the ECU. Supposedly the A9P works with a T5 and AOD (obviously) O2 harness, but a A9L won't work with the AOD O2 harness. This is what I have read, research into this.

Why not convert to mass air using the A9P? I have had zero issues my 5 speed A9P. The only harness required was the T5 harness found through the tunnel, under the carpet and into the driver's kick panel. Of course the NSS and reverse pigtails must be on the T5 as well.

Good luck.

The two wire pigtail harness that runs from the reverse switch to the T5 tunnel harness is my guess. It's about a foot long:).

There is an issue when using the A9L with the AOD O2 sensor harness. Apparently it fries the corresponding pins in the ECU. Supposedly the A9P works with a T5 and AOD (obviously) O2 harness, but a A9L won't work with the AOD O2 harness. This is what I have read, research into this.

Why not convert to mass air using the A9P? I have had zero issues my 5 speed A9P. The only harness required was the T5 harness found through the tunnel, under the carpet and into the driver's kick panel. Of course the NSS and reverse pigtails must be on the T5 as well.

Good luck.

I've found out about having to change the AOD 02 harness as well.

Why not use an A9P? Because I already have an A9L! ;) But if it will make things easier, i'll sell it and get an A9P then.

But even doing that, do i need to change the main T-5 harness out?

In my case, I had an a9p and a harness out of an auto car but a factory 5speed car. Finally got under the hood and looked at the connector under the mass air sensor(o2 harness). Sure enough, the pin needed to be moved in the o2 harness. 3 Minutes later, it was done. LOL. I had never noticed that I lost my red warning lights down the center of the instrument cluster till I swapped the pins and they came on.

Well, my car is speed density now. I'm going to do the t-5 conversion leaving it SD for now and just get it running.

However, i want to convert to mass air soon and have an A9L computer. It's a 5-spd comp. My car also does not have cruise control, therefor no VSS. I haven't confirmed it yet, but i think i read that mass air requires the VSS so i need to wire it in.

So i bought a VSS and new speedo cable and have a MA conversion with an A9L. I'll need to investigate when the time comes, but i want to make sure i have no headaches with idle issues and phantom codes....kinda why i want a true OEM install

Mine was an 88 also. Using the a9p and the auto main harness, I didn't have a problem with cruise control, or anything like that. I also didn't have to run wires for the fuel pump sense and cruise(I think that's what you have to run when you repin for mass air. Just switched the one pin on the connector under the mass air sensor. I wouldn't think you would have any problems with an a9p computer and a 89 automatic harness.