• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

What kind oil do u use???

  • Thread starter Thread starter 93stangTN
  • Start date Start date May 23, 2005
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
9

93stangTN

New Member
May 12, 2005
77
0
0
May 23, 2005
#1
  • May 23, 2005
  • #1
i was wondering what kinda oil everyone uses??? i got 90,000 on her now... and needs a oil change.. whats everyones choice???
 

Loco5.0

5 Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
394
6
29
PA
May 23, 2005
#2
  • May 23, 2005
  • #2
This should be in talk.

Mobil 1
 

slo65

New Member
May 26, 2003
448
0
0
Southern California
May 23, 2005
#3
  • May 23, 2005
  • #3
i use castrol 20w50, i work at an oil change place, so we carry most oils, and i get them for freeeeeee
 

Funhog

New Member
Mar 30, 2005
219
0
0
Alabama
May 23, 2005
#4
  • May 23, 2005
  • #4
i use mobil one syn
 

88_GT_5_oh

Sportin' a turbo 5.0 in Canadistan
Jul 4, 2004
1
0
1
WPG/MB/CA
May 23, 2005
#5
  • May 23, 2005
  • #5
10w40

ussually penzoil or quaker state, it all depends which is on sale
 

Scott_95GT

New Member
Oct 8, 2004
387
0
0
Sacramento
May 23, 2005
#6
  • May 23, 2005
  • #6
Mobile 1 synthetic. Just changed it last night.
 
9

93stangTN

New Member
May 12, 2005
77
0
0
May 23, 2005
#7
  • May 23, 2005
  • #7
the guy had been runnin 5-30 in it, should i step up to 10-30???? i was going to use either a synthetic, or the quaker state high RPM oil.....
 
S

slytherin

New Member
Apr 5, 2004
702
1
0
northeast ohio
May 23, 2005
#8
  • May 23, 2005
  • #8
Mobile 1!
 
F

foxcobra

New Member
May 18, 2004
11
0
0
Phoenix, AZ
May 23, 2005
#9
  • May 23, 2005
  • #9
Mobil one 5w-30 synth.
 

Dean85GT

New Member
Nov 27, 2004
502
1
0
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
May 23, 2005
#10
  • May 23, 2005
  • #10
10w40 here
 

Michael Yount

Mustang Master
Apr 10, 2002
9,039
6
79
Charlotte, NC
May 23, 2005
#11
  • May 23, 2005
  • #11
93stangTN - where are you located? Ambient temps should drive your weight selection. For summer in the south (TN I'm guessing maybe...me too) - with lows in the 70's and high's in the 90's or more, you could run 10W-40 or 20W-50. For winter time cold starts, you'll want no heavier than a 10W30 or even 5W-30. I run Shell Rotella synthetic in my wife's Bimmer year round - 5W-40. 5 weight for easy cold starts in winter; 40 weight for a little extra protection when it's hot during the summer.

With that many miles on it unless it's been running synthetic I'd stick with regular old dino oil and just change it regularly. Purolator or Motorcraft for a decent inexpensive filter - do not use Fram.
 
9

93stangTN

New Member
May 12, 2005
77
0
0
May 23, 2005
#12
  • May 23, 2005
  • #12
iam in Johnson city man, alittle over an hour from u....
 

Michael Yount

Mustang Master
Apr 10, 2002
9,039
6
79
Charlotte, NC
May 23, 2005
#13
  • May 23, 2005
  • #13
You should jump into our little thread down in the SouthEast forum - "anyone from E.Tn in the forum..."

I'd run 10W40 in the summer/spring/fall, and drop down to 5W30 in the winter if the car has to undergo cold (20F or lower) starts.
 

89MustangGX

I have nothing productive to add!
Jul 3, 2001
10,262
1
0
Mill Creek, WA
May 23, 2005
#14
  • May 23, 2005
  • #14
I've been running Mobil-1 5w30 in everything I own/service for years now. I just took a big step and bought a case of 10w30 I'm going to try.

I'm going to try Amsoil in my car, but probably still run the M-1 in my F150.
 

ljinx23

New Member
Dec 10, 2003
163
0
0
Northeast Pennsylvania
May 23, 2005
#15
  • May 23, 2005
  • #15
I'm a Royal Purple fan myself. Yea, I know its purple, but it works. P.S. and whats wrong with the fram filters??? JW
 

Albrainya

New Member
May 9, 2003
68
0
0
May 23, 2005
#16
  • May 23, 2005
  • #16
synthetic oil is all hype and a huge waste of money. Show me an engine that has 200,000 miles on it run on synthetic and ill show you one that has run 200,000 miles on regular 10/30, 10/40, whatever... It doesnt matter - as long as you change the oil at regular intervals, thats what counts.
 

Stang8URMPRT

Active Member
Dec 28, 2003
1,100
1
38
Daytona Beach, FL
May 23, 2005
#17
  • May 23, 2005
  • #17
I ran Valvoline VR1 20W50 in my 83... and I run Castrol 20W50 in my 90. Summers here are brutal on oil.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
May 23, 2005
#18
  • May 23, 2005
  • #18
Motor oil. vegetable oil did not work too well. neither did gear oil.



























M1 15W-50 in 110* summer days and 10-40 in our 'winter' (highs in the 70-80's).

Michael's thoughts on weights are very similar to mine (when running dino juice in the summer, i use 20W-50).

good luck with it.
 
M

Mean86GT

New Member
May 15, 2005
46
0
0
May 23, 2005
#19
  • May 23, 2005
  • #19
10w30 valvoline is the only thing that goes in my engine.


ps: i love it when i change my oil and its still a light brown color
 

LoudToy958

Member
Mar 30, 2005
435
0
16
Bremerton, WA
May 23, 2005
#20
  • May 23, 2005
  • #20
Albrainya said:
synthetic oil is all hype and a huge waste of money. Show me an engine that has 200,000 miles on it run on synthetic and ill show you one that has run 200,000 miles on regular 10/30, 10/40, whatever... It doesnt matter - as long as you change the oil at regular intervals, thats what counts.
Click to expand...


I used to agree with this comment until I pulled 365k out of my 94 Miata. Only had syn in it from the start. Only thing that killed it was a faulty water pump and temp gauge. Overheated when the pump failed. Mechanic said I would've been able to keep going on those internals with a few new parts. I would assume he meant rings, seals, etc.

I think it boils down to how you drive, and the care you take of you car.

God I miss that car. Sometimes I think she was a factory freak.

I use Mobile 1 Syn. I swear by the stuff. I drive pretty hard, and I have yet to see the stuff come out black.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
490
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
Need help ordering a oil cooler and filter relocation kit but don't know what I need
  • Aiden Brown
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
79
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sep 14, 2026
squeak93
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
590
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Oct 4, 2026
manicmechanic007
Oil choice for after break in period.
  • Sask84gt
  • Feb 28, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
26
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 14, 2026
Praetorious
P
B
Engine Strange Noise
  • burntokita
  • May 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
482
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 11, 2026
keel
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?