What Oil Pan and Pick-up for sn95 with 347 and Girdle

ebowie

5 Year Member
Oct 16, 2018
Okee Wisconsin
I have a 1995 GT and rebuilt the engine to a 347 with ARP studs and a Moroso engine girdle. I know the stock fox body oil pans have more clearance and will work with my stud mounted girdle. Will a stock fox oil pan fit my 1995 mustang and clear the K member, if not what pan will work with my build and what oil pick- up will clear the pan and girdle.

• Sponsors (?)

From Moroso website:

• Works with any standard Melling M68 or M68HV oil pump

The oil pans between 79 and 95 should all work with any OEM cross member from the same period even though not all of the cross members will swap to each car without modification.

If you are running a high volume oil pump then that was probably a mistake and I'd recommend either a 7 qt Moroso pan or changing the pump. If you're running a standard volume pump, then any of the Fox/SN Windsor double hump pans should do you just fine.

Thanks for the response, plan is to run the standard pump with a fox style oil pan, for my weekend cruiser to keep the cost down. My next issue is the oil pick-up tube that would work with that pan and the girdle without having to upgrade to the Canton pan as suggested. Are there any bolt on's or am I going to have to modify the stocker.

From what I recall about their girdle, it uses the stock pickup. Normally, the pickup is secured with a stud and there's a nut between the stud and pickup. That space is taken by the girdle so no changes are necessary. It just sits flush along the length of the girdle.

Not a damn thing fits inside of a stock SN95 oil pan. If the Fox pan fit properly in an SN, Ford wouldn't have bothered to change it. This is the crap I went through to put a windage tray in one. In order to clear the studs, I had to hammer the bottom of the pan a little. There was no way of fitting the Moroso one, but I could hammer it out a bit to get the Canton one to fit. This is for studs long enough to hold a windage tray, not even a girdle. No fricken way girdle studs would have fit. Then there is the issue with the dipstick, which is something you don't think about, but is kind of important. The stock dipstick goes through the block, and it points right at whatever girdle or windage tray you put in there. The aftermarket Canton and Moroso pans have the dipstick in the oil pan specifically to clear the addition of a girdle or windage tray. It was something I certainly didn't think of when buying a windage tray.

So, this is some genius level :poo: that I am pretty proud of. I hand bent a brake line and welded it to the bottom of the factory dipstick tube to redirect the dipstick away from the windage tray. I even ground it perfectly smooth so that the dipstick can be inserted and removed back through the factory hole in the block.

Bottom line, if you really want a girdle, which has questionable value, I would upgrade to a Moroso or Canton oil pan. I've had a Moroso oil pan in my street car for 20 years, and I know the downside to it. The sump sits lower than the K-member, and it's the hit spot for every piece of road debris. I've hammered that pan straight a few times, and it has another dent in it right now. In my opinion, skip the girdle for the sake of your sanity, especially if it's an NA car.

Kurt

Attachments

• IMAG1045.jpg
    IMAG1045.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG1048.jpg
    IMAG1048.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 113
@revhead347 I don't think he's doing the windage tray. Just the girdle.

Gotcha. The girdle is quite a bit thicker than the windage tray alone, and requires longer studs. If you put a girdle on it, then it's normal to put a windage tray on, since it bolts to the girdle, not the studs. So it's stud, girdle, tray, top nut, or stud, nut, tray, top nut. Either way it's an increased stud length that doesn't work well with the stock pan. Either way, it's a clearance issue.

Kurt

Correct, I have a windage tray that bolts to the girdle but that makes it even deeper, so I will ditch the tray if needed. Looking at past threads I found this, if it is true I wonder what pick-up tube was used.

Dec 4, 2006
94 GTR said:
I am going to be using a fox pan in my 94 because I'm using a girdle. The pan is flat in the middle. WIll it work on the 94 without hitting the crossmember?
Yes...it will.
The pans changed in the early 90's so that Ford installed one pan on the 5.0 motors that were also being used in T-birds.
It will clear you girdle (with minimal clearancing depending on the make of girdle) and clear the stock '94-'95 crossmember. I ran an early pan on the last motor in my '95. Several told me it wouldn't fit, but were mistaken.