What was the first year of body stile before the fox body?? got money on this one!!!!

gamer1602

Founding Member
Jul 17, 2002
What year did the body stile after the fox body start? between 1993 to1998 or 1994 to 1998? I have a bet on this one i am shooting for the mid 1993's. PLEESE let me know and if possable give me some visable confermation. THANKS

• Sponsors (?)

well then did they come out with them in 1993 1/2. because my budy and i are huge stang fans. He said that there hasnt been a 1/2 year mustang since 1994 1/2 and i said 1993 1/2 but it could have been 1994 1 /2 but i could of swoare one of them was a half year. Let me know if im wright or wrong. Thanks guys

The '93 Cobra R was a mid year release. Came out after the '93 Cobra had been out a half a year already, and so nobody saw it coming. Not what I would consider a valid point in your argument, as the body didn't change and it wasn't what you'd call a mainstream production. Hope you didn't have much money on it. The past few decades have been peppered with mid year models, but none of them were officially termed "**"&1/2. Even the wildly common and prevalent misconception that there was a '64 &1/2 is false, it came out midyear, and they released another within a year, but the first Mustang was not a '64 &1/2. I doubt even most Ford salesman know that, but there it is.

blown93feature said:
I don't think so, I have a 93-1/2 stang and there was a 92-1/2 stang as well.There is no 94-1/2 stang. :nice:

Technically you are right since the '92 "summer special" and the '93 limited edition Mustangs were released mid-year. However, they are not technically labeled as 1/2 year.

Just about every one of the last year cobras made is technically a 1/2 year model since they usually show up around March.

Anyway, the body style breakdown is as follow

64.5 - 73
74-78
79-93
94-04
05-

There is no difference between the 94-98 and 99-04 body styles. They are just a mid-model facelift just as the 79-86 and the 87-93 are the same model but with a facelift.

yeah im sure theres millions of cars that were relased mid year. it doesnt make them "1/2s" the only mustang i heard speciffically reffered to as 1/2 is the 64 1/2. even that SVO people dont call an 85 1/2 svo. :shrug:

Final Answer: 93 fox, 94 new style .

Black331Stang said:
even that SVO people dont call an 85 1/2 svo. :shrug:

As far as i know, there IS an 85.5 SVO. I beleive the difference between an '85 and an '85.5 SVO is the 85.5 got the flush mount headlights and got a bump in HP from 185HP to 205HP or something like that. There were less than 500 85.5 SVO's build. I beleive when there is a significant change to a certain model (or a midyear intro) they must use the .5 designation

Uh-huh, and there was an '84 1/2 GT350, 5,260 of them. Whatever. I also know several people who claim to have had '64 1/2 Mustangs. Everyone knows what they're talking about, but Ford never acknowledged any half years- that car was no exception. It was an early '65. The '84 1/2 GT350 was just an '84. The SVO released halfway through '85 was still just an '85. They were nicknames, nothing more, and most histories authorised by Ford make this clear, even if they use them themselves for clarification. Where parts changed halfway through the year (like the early '01 GT w/t-45, late '01 GT w/3650) the parts counter guy just wants the build date. Tell him it's an anything "&1/2" and he's going to sigh, and ask again for the build date. If you want a part for an '85 SVO, you ask about an '85 SVO. For there to be an '85 1/2, there would have had to be two of them, and there weren't. All it was was a mid year release they threw together because the turbo GT's weren't selling. How did we get on the half year thing anyway? For the original question:

gamer1602 said:
What year did the body stile after the fox body start? between 1993 to1998 or 1994 to 1998? I have a bet on this one i am shooting for the mid 1993's. PLEESE let me know and if possable give me some visable confermation. THANKS
...well then did they come out with them in 1993 1/2. because my budy and i are huge stang fans. He said that there hasnt been a 1/2 year mustang since 1994 1/2 and i said 1993 1/2 but it could have been 1994 1 /2 but i could of swoare one of them was a half year. Let me know if im wright or wrong. Thanks guys
Like every car and every model year, next years model hits the showrooms halfway through this year or thereabouts. So in that respect, you are correct. The '94 model year was when the body changed from Fox to SN95, and it was released for public consumption in '93 just like they all are. It wasn't a '93 1/2, it was just an all new Mustang for '94 released right on time.I asume that would mean you win the bet- unless you really were bickering over which one had a 1/2 on the doortag- which is neither.

The only reason the '64 1/2 'stang is called that is because it seperates the early first run 'stangs that were equiped with generators, from the "'65's" that recieved an alternator. Also, the fastback was not available during the inital '64 1/2 run.

During the last 2 production months of 92 (July/August of 92), the late-model year production cars began receiving the hypereutectic pistons that would be standard on all following cars. If I got one of those, would it be a "92 10/12"? Could we simply that to "92 5/6"? Since they spend some time turning plant around/retooling between model years and don't ever get a full year's production should we refer to the "fractional" models in terms of the portion of the year in 'weeks' - "85 25/50 SVO" model? Perhaps we should all look at the build date and refer to our particular car that way - my 82 Volvo is actually an "82 4/12" as it was built in December of 81, and the production year began in Sept. of 81. Oh, wait, maybe we should just go by build date and calendar - forget the actual 'model year'. Mine becomes an "81 12/12". Clearly I have too much time on my hands.

Will someone please tell these guys for certain who won the bet so this one can die a peaceful death? :)

Some of you guys don't know jack crap about SVOs. You should keep your mouths shut when you don't know what you're talking about. Two examples:

Black331Stang said:
even that SVO people dont call an 85 1/2 svo. :shrug:

Obviously you don't know any SVO people. :chair:

stangbear427 said:
If you want a part for an '85 SVO, you ask about an '85 SVO. For there to be an '85 1/2, there would have had to be two of them, and there weren't.

100% WRONG. Injectors, headlights, EEC, intake manifold, turbo, mufflers, and tailpipes were all different from 85 to 85 1/2.

The 85 1/2 SVO is a distinct model. It was basically an early release of the 86 model but was slightly different. It had no high mount stop light and chrome SVO badges on the front fenders.

Horsepower67 said:
The only reason the '64 1/2 'stang is called that is because it seperates the early first run 'stangs that were equiped with generators, from the "'65's" that recieved an alternator. Also, the fastback was not available during the inital '64 1/2 run.

The 64 1/2 is a term coined by the collectors/enthusiasts to differentiate the first 5-6 months of production of the 1965 model.

The fox platform development started in 1973 by Ford of England, its first runs were on the Pinto and Fairmont sedan, in 1979 it was adapted for the Mustang, it was also used, or at least components of it were used with refinement in the model years through the 2004 Mustang.