What's a 67 6 cylinder go for?

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
A friend of a friend is wanting to know what their 67 Mustang with a 6 cylinder engine is worth. The mustang hasn't run in 10 years. It was having carb issues and they stopped driving it. I'm sure I can get it running easily but haven't gotten to see the car yet. I think they are going to sell it and I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people of Stangnet about it.

• Sponsors (?)

Without knowing more about the condition, this is as much as we can help you.
Interior?
Rust?
Paint?

Reactions: 1 user
Less than most of the people on FB Marketplace and craigslist think, that's for sure. If it hasn't run in 10 years...there is likely a good reason for that...either its a rustbucket that no one wants to continue driving...or it had a catastrophic mechanical failure of some type. People don't usually just park a classic car and never drive it again for no reason.

The price will range anywhere from $500 for a parts car(total rustbucket coupe) to $35,000 for a fastback in very nice condition. A basic driver coupe that is a 6 cylinder that needs minor work on paint/interior you might be able to get $10,000 for....if it has rust issues...drop that to about $6000 as long as those issues are reasonable....but regardless, the biggest wildcard factor is going to be location...they sell for more in certain parts of the country.

I got to see the car yesterday and it's really in good shape. There was one minor spot of surface rust in the passenger side wheel well. There are some dents like a serious one in the passenger side door with a smaller one in that quarter. Then a dent in the driver's door with some bondo over the wheel well in that drivers side quarter panel. All of it looks like things I could easily address. *Eeeee painting a car is a heck of a lot of work.*

Still it's a solid looking car. I see no major damage and almost no rust. There are not the major rust issues in the cowl or in the lower areas of the unibody. Even the rubber and tie rod ends and endlinks looked good. I expected stuff to be cracking and brittle.

So I advised my friend on what I would do which is to change out the wheel cylinders, check brake lines, change fuel pump, Change fuel filter, change rubber fuel lines. Clean the carburetor, replace tires (it's 4 lug wheels :o). Shocks seemed fine. Steering wheel is cracked from age.

So, I am going to put together a parts list and we will see what she thinks. I'm betting if I get it working she'll want to keep it.

I took a few pictures for you guys.

Attachments

• 20220418_175531.jpg
    20220418_175531.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220418_175501.jpg
    20220418_175501.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220418_175450.jpg
    20220418_175450.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220418_175445.jpg
    20220418_175445.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 46
Without knowing more about the condition, this is as much as we can help you.
Interior?
Rust?
Paint?
Thanks for the link.
The interior is in good shape except for the drivers side seat which will need a new lower cushion and cover. The dash had to have been replaced because it's not at all sun damaged. The carpet is in good condition and the rear seats are in excellent condition. Headliner looks great too.