What's the best head, cam, intake combo for a street drivin 5.0 if money is no object

5.0LOfFun

May 16, 2004
just wondering what the best combo out there is right now, im thinking afr 165's holly systemmax manifold and the ford e-cam? Any one got any idea of the perfect head, cam , intake combo if money was no issue?

• Sponsors (?)

Well for my 100% daily driver...I had Ed set me up with a Performer intake, AFR 165's and a custom cam...I'll let everybody know in a few days how it goes...in middle of the install now...

5spd GT said:
Well for my 100% daily driver...I had Ed set me up with a Performer intake, AFR 165's and a custom cam...I'll let everybody know in a few days how it goes...in middle of the install now...

:nice: !! Some dyno #'s would be great!

As far as a h/c/i combo, it sounds like you want to pass emissions as well?
In which case AFR165, E cam, GT40, 24lbers and long tubes makes 290rwhp/320rwtq. :nice:

if money is no object get you some Yates titanium heads w/titanium valves & retainers, etc. I am sure you can find a titanium intake as well. I have heard good things about FTI cams as well.

ya i agree. if money is NO OPTION then some nice yates or blue thunder heads would be great on a 5.0. For a street car no, but hell there the best on the market. But seeign as i dont think you can fork out $8000-$10000 for a set of heads, i think you should do with a set of ported afr's either 165's or 185's if its a stroker, and then a ported Holley systemax intake, with a custom grind cam. :D

Why a custom grind? I guess I'm not understanding the benefit the custom grind can provide that an off the shelf one cant. Are the custom grind cams still street leagal? Where do you go about getting a custom grind cam and how do they (whoever is grinding a cam for you) know exactly how to grind it, is there a magic number based on what heads and intake you have?

5ohsrock said:
Why a custom grind? I guess I'm not understanding the benefit the custom grind can provide that an off the shelf one cant. Are the custom grind cams still street leagal? Where do you go about getting a custom grind cam and how do they (whoever is grinding a cam for you) know exactly how to grind it, is there a magic number based on what heads and intake you have?

www.flowtechinduction.com

Send an email addressed to Ed or call their number during the specified time and talk with him...

A custom grind does cost a bit more...but well worth it...he does what you want or what your goals are for the car...he can make a nice performance oriented cam and still get good gas mileage...he has actually made cams just for the sound (for Shelby replicas)...he can give you great daily driver torque and have awesome high rpm capability...unlike some of the off the shelf cams...where you usually lose bottom end power (torque)...to gain high end horsepower...just talk to him and what your goals are for the car and he'll tell you what you can do...

David

If money is no object, aftermarket block, crank, pistons, and rods, afr heads, any decent intake(extrude honed if you like), supercharger with well matched cam, and nitrous. Of course, you will need a killer drivetrain to back up this power, but money is no object, right? Easy 10's, at least! :nice:

A ZO6? :rlaugh: A Viper would eat a ZO6 for lunch! (ok, maybe not lunch, but it would beat it and it look WAY cooler.) Why not a slighly modded Cobra? A lot cheaper and it would easily hang with a ZO6. OK, sorry, back to the 5.0 question.

ok good stuff guys, it looks like im gona go for some afr 165's holly systemax manifold, and a custome cam. I cant wait to get all this stuff in the car!!!!!!!!, also anyone have any opinions on a good diff for the rear end. this is gona be a street car so i dont want a full lock but something thats gona help me put the power to the floor. :nice:

5.0LOfFun said:
ok good stuff guys, it looks like im gona go for some afr 165's holly systemax manifold, and a custome cam. I cant wait to get all this stuff in the car!!!!!!!!, also anyone have any opinions on a good diff for the rear end. this is gona be a street car so i dont want a full lock but something thats gona help me put the power to the floor. :nice:

If you plan on racing it at the track with sticky tires, get a TA girdle and some aftermarket axles. As far as the diff goes, this is debated much. I'm not going to change my rebuilt stock diff until I have traction issues. No need to get a 9-inch unless you plan on running sub-10 second ET's. They are not as efficient as 8.8's.