What's the Difference between Walboro Fuel Pumps?

rs-turbo

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2001
Orlando, Florida
It's been over three years since I've driven my 99 Limited Edition 35th GT and slowly starting to work on it and get it road worthy and restored again. But I have a starting issue that I suspect is the fuel pump and trying to figure out which pump to use. The BBK and Walboro seem to be the favored options, and since I read the BBK uses the Walboro pump, and I've used Walboro in the past, I've been researching the part numbers to go that brand. Most performance shops, especially Mustang ones, show the model number to be TU228HP-2 for the 99-00 GT. Prices vary online from around $160-230 for what seems to be the same unit. But I also found the TU228HP, no "-2" in the part number, and this seems to be for the Mustang as well, even on the Walboro site (although they only list the V6). I've seen this model pump starting at just over $100. There also is the TU228, no HP, but this appears to be the OEM flow rate, and oddly, costs a bit more than the upgrade. Most online show one or the other for inventory and those I've messaged asking don't seem to know why there are two numbers. One listed both parts, with a $50-60 difference between them, and from their books, both work with the GT. They could only assume the -2 might be attached to some extra emissions required in California. The local Mustang performance shop that I might have do the work, if I don't myself, can only get the Ford pump, which is now over $400, but have installed the Walboro and say it's a good pump, but was also lost at the part number difference. Anyone know what the -2 stands for and why it seems to be $50+ more than the non-2?

Why I suspect the pump: when I was still driving her, now and then I'd feel a hard lurch, very abrupt and disturbing. It sat in my driveway for about 2+ years when I was laid off and couldn't afford two cars. I'd start it and take her for a spin occasionally in the neighborhood. Then one year when I made room to pull it into the garage before the tree leaves hid it completely, it was dead. Bought a new battery since the old one refused to take a charge, but all it did was crank. I didn't hear the pump prime. It would sputter with starter fluid and died. The impact switch in the trunk is on. I was suspecting the pump before with the lurching, as well as others, so figure it finally gave up sitting too long.

The car has around 130K, maybe a little more. Since it's a 35th Limited Edition model, I debated on selling it or fixing it. This month I stumbled on someone with a 35th that was parting it out and ended up getting a few of the 35th parts to replace my worn ones, plus the performance sway bars it had, so decided it's time to slowly get her road worthy again. But figure the first step is getting her started so I can at least take it to the Mustang shop for a full inspection and make my shopping list of parts and repairs needed.

• Sponsors (?)