Whats The real deal with the gt-40/ cobra inatke

foxcobra

May 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
OK guys and gals, I have a modified 5.0L foxbody. The only thing stock is the bottom end. except the cam of course. I am looking for actual differences in the the gt-40 intake and the cobra replica intake. Is it really the same lower? if so does the gt-40 upper flow better? and if its the same intake all around then why is it rated for 75hp more than the cobra? I want facts, not opinions please. Thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

they are the same inside and the GT40 is not rated at 75 hp more i dont know where u heard that from. Neither one adds more than 20 hp to a stock motor anyway. You really wont tell a difference between the two performance wise. If you are going for looks, then its GT40. I think they are within 3 CFM of each other so it doesnt really matter which one you chose for performance, except the cobra is usually about $200 cheaper.

The GT40, Cobra and Explorer all share the same basic lower. All 3 have very similar flow numbers - allowing for the differences that always occur between flow benches/operators. The Cobra and the Explorer have a cast upper; the GT40 has a tubular upper. The GT40 upper weighs several pounds less than the other 2. The GT40, the early Explorer (95 through early 97) and the Cobra upper will allow you to basically bolt on your egr equipment. The later Explorer uppers have no egr provisions. On some of them (depending on year/application), you may have to relocate or drill/tap for the ACT sensor.

If you have to have functioning egr, stay away from the later model Explore uppers. Any of them are a fine upgrade from stock, and contrary to popular myth - all 3 are competitive with most of the other aftermarket intakes out there for mildly modded motors that are peaking under 5500 rpm. They may actually show better low end and mid range average torque than some of the short runner aftermarket intakes.

Forget about HP claims - what happens on your motor is gonna be a function of it's state of tune/mod. If you're running a stock intake - that lower is the most flow-restricted piece on the car.

I got about 95% through polishing my cobra upper when I found a used gt40 for a good deal. After checking them out side by side, I went with the gt40 even after 20+ hours of work polishing the cobra.

The gt40's runners are slightly larger, the inside is totally smooth (the cobra was full of casting flash), and it weighs around 8 pounds less. I don't see how the gt40 upper could not outflow the cobra upper when thrown on a ported lower.

Now, will you notice a difference on a mildly modded car.. no. Choose whichever looks better to you or you can find a good deal on. The one thing to consider is you don't need an egr spacer with the cobra, so if you're going to upgrade your throttle body that's one less thing to buy.

I have both of these intakes...I had really good results with them...both the uppers are capable of flowing above 250cfm...the lowers are restrictive but when ported, are quite nice...its hard to beat OEM quality and engineering! Beware of the new Cobra...its a knock off version...I saw it and the lower has a lot of casting flaws...not really sure about the upper but it does look a bit different from the 93 Cobra intakes...I would try to get an OEM Cobra intake off eBay...Side by side the intakes are virtually identical...maybe within 10cfm of one another but its a close call...as stated earlier the GT-40 upper is much lighter...

jb89 - flow tests out there that show the Explorer outflowing the GT40, and the GT40 outflowing the Explorer. If look at enough tests it becomes clear - they flow about the same. Can you find a GT40 that outflows an Explorer or Cobra? Yes. But you can also find Cobras and Explorers that outflow GT40s. On average, they perform about the same. But, you save weight with the 40.

foxcobra - apparently you editted your post - orginally you said "The Ford racing catalog, it's published , states that the cobra is rated for engine combos up to 350hp, the gt-40 is rated for 425hp. Aparently there IS A BIG difference."

You can't believe everything you read in Ford Racing's MARKETING material. There are LOTS of inaccuracies there....you'll be better off trusting the actual flowbench numbers of folks who've flowed them. If you have doubts, send a pm to tmoss - he has lots of experience with the stock and GT40-family of manifolds. They all flow about the same. Think about it - THEY SHARE THE SAME LOWER.....

Michael Yount said:
jb89 - flow tests out there that show the Explorer outflowing the GT40, and the GT40 outflowing the Explorer. If look at enough tests it becomes clear - they flow about the same. Can you find a GT40 that outflows an Explorer or Cobra? Yes. But you can also find Cobras and Explorers that outflow GT40s. On average, they perform about the same. But, you save weight with the 40.

I'm curious about just the uppers.. I can't imagine the gt40 won't outflow the others. It makes sense that when stuck on an unported lower they would all flow about the same.

7-8 lbs.

They all seem to flow around 195-210 cfm per runner. A well ported lower seems to take them all up into the 240-250 range. The GT40 upper may flow more than the others, but if you can't get it through the lower, it doesn't really matter.

Maybe the GT40 upper will flow more, but what difference does it make when you put it on the same lower?

Every test I have shows that the power they all make will be within ~2HP of each other when all else is held the same.