Who is running a manual valve body on their street car? Do you like it?

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I have a 93 coupe with a 306 and an on3 turbo. I have an AOD with an edge 2500 stall converter and am considering a manual valve body. I want more control over my shifts without doing a 5 speed swap. I have done that swap a million times, I just don't want to do it this time. My car is 100% street and I drive it 2 or 3 times a week. Any experiences to share?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I had a 100% stock AOD with a Lentech valve body. Loved it and would still have it except I took out 3rd gear on my 250k trans while powershifting at 5500 RPM. I figured that was a good excuse to do a 5 spd swap.

With the TV cable adjusted right it was great in full auto mode just cruising around, yet was also exactly what you are looking for when manually shifting. It changes the shift pattern to the correct 1-2-D/OD sequence (also does not allow shift into OD at WOT). With slight TV cable adjustments you can tune the shift points in full auto somewhat. In my opinion, the best of both worlds.

Reactions: 1 user
I am trying to wrap my head around that one, help me out if you can. If gear selector was put into (OD) it shifted automatically 1 through 3, but if you put it in L to start you could manually shift it up through 1,2,3 and OD was always on a switch?

So on my 90, the shift indicator showed P R N OD D 1. With the Lentech VB it behaves like P R N OD/D 2 1. If you put selector in OD, it behaves like factory but with much better shifts. If you pull it down to 1, you have first. Move it to D and you go to 2nd. Move it to OD and you get 3rd. If you are WOT it will hold 3rd until you let off. If you start from a stop in D (second) it will behave like you only have 1st and 2nd and shift automatically.

Basically I would drive in OD all the time. I would pull it down to 1st if I wanted some spirited acceleration.

Actually just re-read you posts above. OD on a switch, Lentech has a built in option you can wire up an OD lock out switch. I didn't do that, but the option was there on my VB.

So I had OD as normal, just not at WOT.