• Mustang Forums
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech

Wiring question 351W swap

  • Thread starter Thread starter way2fast78
  • Start date Start date Apr 22, 2005
W

way2fast78

New Member
Apr 2, 2005
30
0
0
Apr 22, 2005
#1
  • Apr 22, 2005
  • #1
Ok, One more thing. I bought a new 1 wire alternator and the 351W I am putting requires only 2 wires, a gound and a positive for the ignition. It looks like I can get rid of most of the spaghetti in the engine bay and simplify this thing BUT, I didnt want to screw anything up.

Hers the question, with the 1 wire alternator am I correct to assume that because it has a built in regulator that I can simply run that wire to the positive on the alernator? (no it didnt come with a wiring schematic)

Also, I checked the incoming harness from the car and the rectangular plug that went to the old coil has a few wires that have 12 volts with the key on.

Can I just use one of those for the positive to the engine? It seems like it would work fine.

I am not worried about the dummy lights in the dash because I am going to remove them and replace the dash panel with a custom stainles steel panel to fit mechanical gauges. Of course after I finally get this thing running.

Any input would be greatly appreciated..
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Power Wire Upgrade Question
  • jhaling
  • Dec 21, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
308
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 23, 2026
Noobz347
Resolved Wiring electric fan
  • cbac89
  • Aug 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
162
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
cbac89
Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
168
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
1999 Mustang GT - No Start- Need help understanding the fuel pump circuit and how it works
  • 99gtGuy
  • Nov 4, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
574
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Nov 7, 2025
04newedge-
0
A
Blow through intercooled questions
  • AngryH58
  • Aug 31, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
166
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 1, 2026
AngryH58
A
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?