Progress Thread My centrifugal ppl, how’s this deal?

• Sponsors (?)

Woooohooooo !!!! That car sounds like a beast. Lots of really cool boards on the walls, too.

I knew it was something simple. Just wouldn't have guessed that....but should've.

Great job !!! Now we need a vid outside the garage....just a little walk around. Cheers to you sir !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Totally understand as I just fixed my other 88 Mustang that sat for 5 years due to thinking the bearings were bad from low oil pressure when warm. Come to find out it was just the oil pressure sensor was bad.

• Haha
I've done stupid chit too bro, no worries. At least you found out it was something really simple. You putting the mini starter back in now?
Oh yeah after last night and putting that big sucker in and it did the same I immediately swapped it back to mini. That thing cranks up fast. I like it. Time to order the fan and that wiring kit you sent me. Hopefully get that by the weekend.

Woooohooooo !!!! That car sounds like a beast. Lots of really cool boards on the walls, too.

I knew it was something simple. Just wouldn't have guessed that....but should've.

Great job !!! Now we need a vid outside the garage....just a little walk around. Cheers to you sir !!!
Yeah man will do gonna drop her down shortly. I contemplated it being the fan or maybe the power steering but was sure it was the starter ha ha. Need to take it and get it better aligned and find someone to install these bad boys. Once installed do most ppl just spray them with something like chassis paint or something to coat them? Also I live in Austin, TX so if you know anyone out here let me know. Put feelers out before but never got any responses. Appreciate all your input btw, sure I’ll be asking for more soon once I start motor stuff.
FAE65BCC-7103-4116-953A-F877FD8BD7A4.jpeg

Yeah man will do gonna drop her down shortly. I contemplated it being the fan or maybe the power steering but was sure it was the starter ha ha. Need to take it and get it better aligned and find someone to install these bad boys. Once installed do most ppl just spray them with something like chassis paint or something to coat them? Also I live in Austin, TX so if you know anyone out here let me know. Put feelers out before but never got any responses. Appreciate all your input btw, sure I’ll be asking for more soon once I start motor stuff.
After welding them in you can prime and paint them with whatever paint you want. They'll get scratched up as you use them to jack the car up from time to time so don't overthink the paint. Car will feel much more rigid while driving once their installed.

edit: actually I painted mine before install and then sanded down the area where I was going to be welding.

After welding them in you can prime and paint them with whatever paint you want. They'll get scratched up as you use them to jack the car up from time to time so don't overthink the paint. Car will feel much more rigid while driving once their installed.

edit: actually I painted mine before install and then sanded down the area where I was going to be welding.
Ah yeah that’s a good idea, might do the same then.

Ovrr had good luck with body shops....especially the smaller ones with frame machines.

It's kind of important to put it on a frame machine before the subframe connectors get welded in. Some of these cars are tweaked. It doesn't takean accident to twist over of our unibody cars.

Don't be afraid of it.... shops around here usually charge 75 bucks a pull ( if needed ) and like 60 bucks to set it up and check it. The collectors should also be welded on a drive on lift.

Ovrr had good luck with body shops....especially the smaller ones with frame machines.

It's kind of important to put it on a frame machine before the subframe connectors get welded in. Some of these cars are tweaked. It doesn't takean accident to twist over of our unibody cars.

Don't be afraid of it.... shops around here usually charge 75 bucks a pull ( if needed ) and like 60 bucks to set it up and check it. The collectors should also be welded on a drive on lift.
Gotcha that’s a good point. Feel like my car has always looked pretty straight but having it up on the stands it did look just slight tweaked. Maybe it was my eyes though but I’m gonna look into that. I’ll post up some pics with a walk around once I get it cleaned. I took it through one of these modern car washes before I parked it to do the brakes etc and it left a bunch of soap scum, plus it sprayed wheel shine and that got all over the bottom of the doors, and it’s super dusty now.

How much did you guys pay to have your subframes welded in. I went to one shop and they quoted me 5 hours to weld them which came out to 500 bucks. Wtf?!?! That seems super expensive but is that normal. They are a reputable shop but that just seems excessive.

Seems a little high, I would probably charge about 3 hours (ish) a side here at my body shop. Labor rates in abq are at $50 and hour. $300-$400 is probably about right. Although it took me and a tech about 2 hours to do it here after work on our frame machine.:nice: Keep in mind, they maybe charging you at frame labor. $80 here in alb.

Seems a little high, I would probably charge about 3 hours (ish) a side here at my body shop. Labor rates in abq are at $50 and hour. $300-$400 is probably about right. Although it took me and a tech about 2 hours to do it here after work on our frame machine.:nice: Keep in mind, they maybe charging you at frame labor. $80 here in alb.
Ehh maybe, the guy said they would put it on the machine and take measurements just to check the stance but he quoted me the 5 hours at 500ish bucks just for the install. Found another shop called promodular performance here in Austin, which I was lead on to from some chats with Murillo who just quoted me 250 and they would put the car on the 4 points stand and take measurements before welding just to make sure there is no tweaking, plus he would prep and paint them as well.

Ehh maybe, the guy said they would put it on the machine and take measurements just to check the stance but he quoted me the 5 hours at 500ish bucks just for the install. Found another shop called promodular performance here in Austin, which I was lead on to from some chats with Murillo who just quoted me 250 and they would put the car on the 4 points stand and take measurements before welding just to make sure there is no tweaking, plus he would prep and paint them as well.
That's a really good deal.

Ok so got her cleaned up, figured I’d snap some pics and a walk around, messed it up so it cuts and my wife decided she wanted in the video, crazy blonde.
819F5013-4478-489C-9165-7E4185ED69CA.jpeg
AF1954F0-AD24-414A-9015-3BFD67C71CF4.jpeg
CBBB77A7-28F4-4F2E-93A3-E97434AF1283.jpeg
1AB97660-AD68-452F-B8CC-84909AAD9640.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Just throwing this out there...for the price of having the subframes welded in you could buy a decent welder and weld them in yourself....and then you have a welder. Thats what I did years ago with some floor pans I needed welded in. I LOVE to weld! There are not many better places to learn to weld than under your car where no one will see it. Trust me!