Write-up: How to equip an 87-93 stang with HID's the RIGHT way. LOTS of pics.

88Stangboy said:
Like the headlights you bought to do the HID with. Never really liked HID though, i like just old white lights, at least in a Mustang. Good work on the fiberglass by the way.

Yeah me too, nothing personal but i rather like the way my coupe does not look like a japanese car.

• Sponsors (?)

lights look great nice job, very talented. what size is your hood and who makes it, it looks nice, and did you do any fiber glass work on your cobra insert?:OT: great job really nice stang :hail2: :nice:

Mustang5L5 said:
I beleive the first car in the US with HID lights was the 1995 Lincoln Mark 8.

In 10 years or so every car will have HID lights and LED lights will be the new thing. Certain Audi's use LED's as a DRL and the 2007 Lexus 600H will be the first production cars to use LED's as a low beam.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/12/lexus-debuts-20072007-lexus-ls-600h-l/

I just don't care for the look, the unique look of my fox body is enough.

Most of those Japanese cars have those types of lights and i think it would ruin the look of mine.

To each his own however.

How are you securing the projectors to the headlight housing?

I think i'm gonna start this project too but i'm trying to find a good set of bi-xenon projectors on Ebay so i can also get a high beam as well. So many different projectors to choose from.

I used JB weld as well as epoxy to mount it to the housing. That stuff is STRONG so there is no way it will ever break or anything.

As for the bi-xenon projectors, you'll want to find some out of an e46 bmw, an acura TL, or an audi. The acura TL's are the nicest and give the best output and cutoff but the demand is high for them so you'll be paying top dollar.

RacEoHolic330 said:
As for the bi-xenon projectors, you'll want to find some out of an e46 bmw, an acura TL, or an audi. The acura TL's are the nicest and give the best output and cutoff but the demand is high for them so you'll be paying top dollar.

I know :(

I've already passed over several CHEAP xenon projectors on Ebay for $40-50/pair. Usually mislabeled stuff. Cheapest bixenon i've seen has been $170/pair :(

I might have a lead on someone who works in the body shop at nissan. Might be able to get myself some Maxima bixenons.

Mustang5L5 said:
I know :(

I've already passed over several CHEAP xenon projectors on Ebay for $40-50/pair. Usually mislabeled stuff. Cheapest bixenon i've seen has been $170/pair :(

I might have a lead on someone who works in the body shop at nissan. Might be able to get myself some Maxima bixenons.

Check out www.hidplanet.com

They have some nice retrofit "kits" ( I use the term kits loosely as these are OEM parts that are assembled into a kit, not the cheap eBay plug-n-play BS).

They have Bi-Xenon kits that are available on demand.
http://www.hidplanet.com/custom.html

http://www.hidplanet.com/package.html

Complete Bosch Xenon D2S HID Projector Package:

If you are looking for a complete package solution for your HID needs, please consider our Bosch/Hella/Philips package. This option gives you a cost effective parts kit to replace critical H.I.D. parts that may have been damaged.

The package includes:

(2) Bosch Projectors
(2) Hella/Philips LVQ-212 G3 Ballasts
(2) D2S HID Bulbs
(2) Ballast Covers/mounts
(2) Ballast connectors

Price $399.99 + shipping

RacEoHolic330 said:
keep checking back on eBay, I scored my e46 projectors for $125 shipped. Oh, and if you need some bulbs, let me know... i'll get you some real cheap

That's not bad.

I found a guy selling a pair of E46 bi-xenon's for $155 shipped. Unsure if that's a good price for them.

There's also a set of FX45 bixenon projectors on ebay for under $100 right now. Still has 5 days to go though..that price will prob rise but i'll watch it.

:D :SNSign:

Mustang5L5 - thats a good price. I got mines of of e-bay for like $115 shipped to Hawaii. so I guess i got lucky :shrug: :nice:
For my blubs I spent 75 for just the regular d2s bulbs from philips...
The best deal I got was on my balast which I got localy for $50 :p :D But yea if you wait you will find some good deals......

RacEoHolic330 - how much can you get for the bulbs, I want to buy some new ones. Dunno but my lights look alittle dim to me :shrug: or maybe i jus got used to them :p but let me know :D

808Gt said:
:D :SNSign:

Mustang5L5 - thats a good price. I got mines of of e-bay for like $115 shipped to Hawaii. so I guess i got lucky :shrug: :nice:
For my blubs I spent 75 for just the regular d2s bulbs from philips...
The best deal I got was on my balast which I got localy for $50 :p :D But yea if you wait you will find some good deals......

Yeah i guess i will wait. Like i said i've passed over a few dirt cheap xenon projectors just to search around for some bixenon's. I really want a high beam. not in any rush

I already have a ballast kit, but it's for a 9007 socketed bulb. I planed on gettins some D2S's and buying the adapters off ebay.

Or i might just sell the kit off and look for good deals on ballasts. I don't really want to hack up a perfectly good HID kit if i can sell it to someone and make a few bucks

I'm thinking about doing this to my coupe. I would like to get a one piece light though if possible. I don't see any new one piece lights that I like the only set I liked were the original and another thing is how would I aim a one piece headlight? I think it might be possible to find a whole set at a junkyard right? Couldn't you just get the ballast and everything from a wrecked car?

I think it might be possible to find a whole set at a junkyard right? Couldn't you just get the ballast and everything from a wrecked car?

Unless you see the car 1st those items will be gone. I saw a 91 GT come in to the yard and I was the 1st one at it. I got a chrome set of ponys with caps. I paid and came back just to look and all the usual items were gone.
The next week the stang was a shell...... BTW the body and interior were clean the engine was blown. A nice hole in the pan would have made a great picture.! LOL

I LIKE THAT SET UP.:hail2: HOW WELL DOES IT FIT BETWEEN THE CORE SUPPORT

AND ARE YOU JUST TALKING ABOUT A STANDARD RELAY SET UP?:shrug:

THIS IS EASY FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK AT A BMW DEALER IN PARTS AND CAN USE THE PARTS FROM BODY SHOP HEADLIGHTS FROM AN E46.:D