Expired WTB, low miles 2.73 8.8 gears, maybe an LSD if the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Happy Birthday to me! Literally!

I can't tell if that is dust/lube on the pinion, or pitting/active rust.
Yes they're cheap and I'm not trying to be a whiner or anything... ok that's a pun..... ;-) (pitted gears whine, for those who didn't get it)

Could you please clarify it that's rust or debris on the pinion?

Just to muddy the waters... I came across this image online...
Manifold1.JPG

And worse yet, this video!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBsZAFx7U0g

Here, HERE is where it really gets bad!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgnNEOS6Hk

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

It's just dust and gear oil residue for the most part. I wiped the teeth down and took more pics. There are a few place near the edge of the teeth that appear to have light surface rust, you can see them in the pics.
It's not a job i'd want to do twice if I could help it, so I don't blame you for being picky.

Attachments

• 273.jpg
    273.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 273-1.jpg
    273-1.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 273-2.jpg
    273-2.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 274-4.jpg
    274-4.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 254
Not great, but computer pics are better than rolling in the junkyard dust inspecting gears.
OK enough to give the 2.73 ratio a try for $20.
I'll try them in the un-rebuilt axle, crush sleeves are only a buck.

VERY hot here, no shade trees in the yard... I mean junkyard... OBVIOUSLY I have one LOL...

How'd you like to be paid?
And please relube with something, anything, stuff begins rusting within 250 miles of Florida!

How it sits...today.. pulling a rotted core support, getting the IFS beams loose for bushings and radius arm bushings (ospho/prime/paint/undercoat)
prep frame and crossmember in front area
looking at swaybar upgrades, F250 rear bar may be plug/n/play

I DIDN'T DO THAT SANDING!
SAM_4189.JPG

STILL LOOKING for a nicer set of 2.73 gears for 8.8

Attachments

• SAM_4188.JPG
    SAM_4188.JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 251
  • SAM_4196.JPG
    SAM_4196.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
You [do] realize that this thread is in the classifieds section and [not] in a discussion forum, right? :O_o:

Are (you) making fun of how (I) write? :p The Oxford Comma becomes so dreary...
I'm assuming from you tone, which I've been online enough years to hear, and the fact that I'm awaiting mod approval on this post, that something is amiss in this thread?
IF there was actually an appropriate section of this forum... and IF I was a little quicker with research it'd be in the Fox WTB section.
I can certainly hotlink pics if that is the issue, or just buzz off entirely.

In the meantime I was planning to provide some content from an accelerated resto-mod.
My kid says "You can't win American Idol with JUST talent, but talent AND a sad story... now that's a different story!"

Think "+ progress bump" as opposed to a "beggar bump", the number of lazy people online is DIScouraging.
Likewise, I researched Exploder rear disk questions in LURK mode, and probably found a better option, as the 5x5.5 axle flange will obscure the parking brake bits requiring axle removal for service. Not acceptable.

As for the rest, that pitting of the pinion will likely advance to spalling and ruin the whole works.
MAYBE I can set them up to avoid the one bad spot.....
Anyone who isn't familiar with spalling on slide surfaces should educate themselves, try "Camshaft spalling" to get a good idea.
Ruint and fast.
tebe0980001.png Surface+Strength+Analysis.jpg

That is why I'm still looking for nice 2.73 ring and pinion, though I did purchase these to try the ratio in a un-rebuilt axle.

Last edited:
Are (you) making fun of how (I) write? :p The Oxford Comma becomes so dreary...
I'm assuming from you tone, which I've been online enough years to hear, and the fact that I'm awaiting mod approval on this post, that something is amiss in this thread?
IF there was actually an appropriate section of this forum... and IF I was a little quicker with research it'd be in the Fox WTB section.
I can certainly hotlink pics if that is the issue, or just buzz off entirely.

In the meantime I was planning to provide some content from an accelerated resto-mod.
My kid says "You can't win American Idol with JUST talent, but talent AND a sad story... now that's a different story!"

Think "+ progress bump" as opposed to a "beggar bump", the number of lazy people online is DIScouraging.
Likewise, I researched Exploder rear disk questions in LURK mode, and probably found a better option, as the 5x5.5 axle flange will obscure the parking brake bits requiring axle removal for service. Not acceptable.

As for the rest, that pitting of the pinion will likely advance to spalling and ruin the whole works.
MAYBE I can set them up to avoid the one bad spot.....
Anyone who isn't familiar with spalling on slide surfaces should educate themselves, try "Camshaft spalling" to get a good idea.
Ruint and fast.
tebe0980001.png Surface+Strength+Analysis.jpg

That is why I'm still looking for nice 2.73 ring and pinion, though I did purchase these to try the ratio in a un-rebuilt axle.

Um... No. Try reading the words themselves. :p

This thread is in the classifieds section. Look at the other threads that are in this section:
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/other-classifieds.273/

Notice the difference between those threads and this thread. Then look at the content of the threads in this forum:
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/1979-1995-fox-sn95-0-2-3l-general-talk.47/

Do you see a difference?

One forum contains threads with discussion posts while the other contains information about a specific item for sale.

The other thing is why this particular post went into moderation. It's a combination of things really. It's a New Member account, there is a lot of text and links, and it's in the classifieds section. In other words: You hit the flood detector and it flagged the post.

I'm going to close this thread. Please re-post your classifieds ad if you would like and start a discussion thread in the appripriate section for all of your other content.

It's a Ford F-150, isn't it? That content would go in here:
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/other-auto-tech.237/

If you need help moving posts from this thread to your new discussion thread, just send me Private Message with a link to your new thread.

There is usually a moderator hanging around in chat if I'm not around.

Status
Not open for further replies.