Yay Craigslist/FB! - Blown 800 mile Cobra?!

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Fort Knox, KY
The theme with these cars is build them cheap and fast and damn the reliability, it seems. When I'm looking at foxes, I'm really interested in finding quality parts for the price. I was just looking up how much you could get a quality turbo fox for, and so far, I've found a lot of decent foxes, but nothing I would call quality. To nobody's shock, many of the cars run On3 kits, which though I know can be used on a nice build, leads to an immediate (oh, budget turbo build) thought.

Turbo 88k mile '89 LX hatch wants $22k, The Good: Boss 363, MegaSquirt, & TFS heads. The Bad: with stock T5 & rear end, Black magic fan, Typhoon "Imposter" Intake:

$15k '91 Mustang GT. Looks like another On3 Turbo Build...

Would rather have this coupe. Even though it still has a stock trans and rear, it's at least priced in the ball park. High mileage, though:

A seemingly solid '93 GT build, albeit expensive @ $17.5k out in Kansas:
Dart 347 w/ Victor Jr Heads, Straight cut built T5, and interestingly to me an electric vacuum assist. I will look into that.

Next up we have the cookie cutter but good looking 500 rwhp combo '90 GT out in Denver $9,900:
Stock bottom,180cc Aluminum Heads, GT40 intake, On3 w/ 70mm Turbo, T5 (ugh!), electric cutout, 3.31 gears (haven't seen those on one in a while), 5 lug:

This is a case of an unnecessary for a turbo car though awesome H/C/I setup that needs TLC (tune, alignment, seats, and probably plenty more):
'91 LX Hatch, 308 c.i. stock block with 11R 190 TFS Heads, systemax intake, On3 w/ 67mm turbo, 223/227 .600 lift cam, AOD (boo!) but built, apparently
but all for the lovely and frankly surprising price of $7k.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Not a turbo, but a pretty, and pretty expensive 3,300 mile '93 Vert:

Obviously one of our Newbie's failed projects out in TN (and is it me, or does it appear to be levitating over its jackstands?):
Comes with a big turbo! haha. Hopefully he throws in those jack stands. I wonder what a guy gets for a car like this, considering I bought a H/C/I 5 spd vert for $2,500. He want 3,300 for his roller and parts:

'88 LX Hatch in Commerce, GA with unspecified mileage and 3 half-assed pics that he's nevertheless very proud of, asking $13k for:
306, On3 Turbo, C4 Auto, and a basic H/I combo w/ suspension. The one outside pic provided looks nice, but $13k buys a lot of foxbody:

A $15k Ebay special 520 rwhp turbo fox also popped up:
Some interesting stuff: Looks like a custom twin turbo kit (read: no accessories), Willwood, albeit small, brakes, I like those wheels, though

Last edited:
I've gotta hand it to On3. Seems they've cornered the market on fox turbo kits, now. It's a shame that I searched the whole country without finding a nice custom, or quality name turbo kit on a fox. Also disappointed that not a single one of the manual cars had upgraded from their T5, although credit for the straight-cut Promotion built T5, though that's not my cup 'o tea.

Of all of the above, the only one in a good price range is that $7k car with the 11R heads. That $9,900 '90 GT in Denver would be something I could see getting for $7-8k if the rest of the car checks out and the mileage is reasonable. These two are the kinds of cars that the guys coming in ready to build a turbo car could pick up and complete. Though honestly, it feels like there's still too long a ways to go.

Anyways, I was bored and passing the time. Not sure if anyone else keeps an eye on the turbo cars on the market.

I've gotta hand it to On3. Seems they've cornered the market on fox turbo kits, now. It's a shame that I searched the whole country without finding a nice custom, or quality name turbo kit on a fox. Also disappointed that not a single one of the manual cars had upgraded from their T5, although credit for the straight-cut Promotion built T5, though that's not my cup 'o tea.

Of all of the above, the only one in a good price range is that $7k car with the 11R heads. That $9,900 '90 GT in Denver would be something I could see getting for $7-8k if the rest of the car checks out and the mileage is reasonable. These two are the kinds of cars that the guys coming in ready to build a turbo car could pick up and complete. Though honestly, it feels like there's still too long a ways to go.

Anyways, I was bored and passing the time. Not sure if anyone else keeps an eye on the turbo cars on the market.
It's 2:45 AM on a Sunday morning while you're doing this.....here's a thought to help you pass the time..........Sleep.

*And edit.....you searched the entire Nation an couldn't find one clean custom turbo fox build? Not one?

Hint.......there's a guy named Scott out there...somewhere...he built one hell of a clean Turbo fox right here on this forum...and he didn't use a Chinee turbo kit. I doubt that that car will sell for less than 25-30k when and if he decides to sell. And then there's the Blue one that I assume has to be in your garage that just " sold" last year.. Both of those cars have American made turbos on them ( as you well know) how much did that one sell for?

And then there's the orange one in Alabama that used to have an American made turbo but now has a Non-On3 Chinee turbo instead. ( I heard the owner is very pleased with the Chinee turbo's performance as opposed to the twin scroll BW that he had before). There ain't a single " non-custom" part on that car.....Who knows what that junker will sell for.;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Here's the nicest modded local stang on the CL

FB groups have way more. Quite a few decent looking cars have popped up.

I need a $1k or less "donor" and have my eye out. Needs to have a vin stamped engine in it.

Here's the nicest modded local stang on the CL

FB groups have way more. Quite a few decent looking cars have popped up.

I need a $1k or less "donor" and have my eye out. Needs to have a vin stamped engine in it.

Over 50% are convertibles though. This one is pretty nice though.

It's 2:45 AM on a Sunday morning
@CarMichael Angelo After laying in bed for 1.5-ish hours from a little after 10 to a little before midnight and still being wide awake, I find its better to get up and do something before trying again. Insomnia's a bitch. I have regularly laid there all night, and just gotten up to start my day without sleep. Getting up for a while, and trying again later has a better success rate of me getting any sleep. This kinda stuff started over my deployments.

I used autotempest, typed in "mustang turbo" and then filtered each location by years 87-93. There were a couple more results but not 1 nice custom or high quality build. I guess I should add "for sale on CL"
Hint.......there's a guy named Scott out there...somewhere...he built one hell of a clean Turbo fox right here on this forum...and he didn't use a Chinee turbo kit. I doubt that that car will sell for less than 25-30k when and if he decides to sell.

I hope he just decides to enjoy that car. Too much time invested. Not enough money in the world once you've put in that much time.

@Mustang5L5 The red one is my fav for sure. I'll bet it makes 500rwhp by 6 psi. The turbo is barely working.. I hear you on the dime-a-dozen convertibles. That might explain why I haven't gotten a single bite on my listing. I knew I was listing it high, but thought I'd still get some low ballers and maybe an honest offer or 2. Maybe I need to delete everything and do the standard 3 line listing: "mustang 5spd. Runs great. No trades." Lol. So, anyways, dropped $1k gradually over 3 weeks. $6k is still high, but I don't think it's too unreasonable.

I'd guess it goes at 5 or more, but IDK.

Last edited:
And then there's the Blue one that I assume has to be in your garage that just " sold" last year.. Both of those cars have American made turbos on them ( as you well know) how much did that one sell for?

I haven't responded to this question from others out of respect to Joe. I think I can speak for him when I say we both felt it was fair and are both very happy. He actually sent me a message asking me to help him price it because he wanted to list it, since our cars we had such similar builds: same exact heads, injectors, block, fuel pump, computer, turbo compressor, both w/ a T56, and where they diverged, they both had similar quality parts, and he knew that I paid a lot of attention to the markets. So, he wanted to know what it was worth. I told him that with cars like these, they're so unique that it really comes down to finding a buyer that is looking for what you've already done, and willing to pay more than most of the foxes on the market. So, it's hard to be confident about a specific number, that it will go for, but I told him not to sell it for less than my offer, because at that price, I would personally buy it. Later that day, he called me back and said he wanted to do it. I paid him, having not seen the car directly in over 5 years, and didn't pick it up for over a month. Might have been closer to 2. Don't remember, but I've never been more confident and secure in a car purchase in my life, even though I've done the transaction in person every other time.

Last edited:

Fellas, I believe I'd be on this like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm if I were anywhere near it and it checked out. Apparently the guy is fed up with the motor not running. 66k original miles with a Trick Flow top end and a V1 blower? Sign me up. I'd wanna do a compression check or a bore scope to be sure the heads were ok. Would be amazing if it turned out to be something dumb, like a TFI module, or a bad computer. Hell, replace the short block and have a badass low mileage '93. $6k for a low mileage car alone is worth it, let alone one with about $10k worth of parts. I like the color, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm having a really hard time believing the mileage claim on this car. So, it has 800 miles, but needed a rebuilt last year? What's up with the jacked up driver's head light. It's not that it's not clean, but 800 miles clean? $20k would be on the low side for a Cobra, though I guess the mods are killing the value.

Had this car on my watch list.
While it didn't sell because the reserve, sure as hell had a lot of bids.

That dollar store AC delete and stupid ass monster tach tells me all I need to know about that car...
And the mileage is likely since it was rebuilt.

Well, you are right, maybe it's a little play on words by saying "odometer reads 800 miles"?
Looking at the under carriage pics, I just can't see how that's 800 miles.
So maybe he's saying it reads 800, which is true, but maybe it's been rolled...

Reactions: 1 users