Young owner of 1992 fox GT getting mild build, questions about tuning.

Im looking at modding my bone stock 1992 mustang GT this winter which also happens to be my first car. Ive done my research and have a solid list of parts that should work together but one thing i havent looked into is the tuning portion. Will i need a tune to run a mild build (intake, cam, valvetrain, tb, exhaust), and if so, where do i start?

• Sponsors (?)

The stock ECU is very forgiving with that level of mods. You will be fine as long as the MAF matches the injectors.

As long as MAF and injectors are matched an adjustable FPR and timing adjustment will get you squared away.

so the stock computer will self adjust? Everything is stock on the car and the only sensor ive looked into buying is the EGR spacer, will the stock MAF and injectors work? Also, if i did want to buy a programmer and tune it what would you recommend?

I am going to move your thread to a different area of the site so it will get more traffic.
I dont suggest any tuner for your car these dont work the same as the newer cars, the eec iv gets a chip not a tuner.
If you want to talk aftermarket ecu that completely replaces the factory computer then I have some suggestions. However the factory eec is very forgiving and wont even flinch at most mods.

Reactions: 1 user
With a camshaft upgrade I would think you'd want to go to atleast 24lb injectors. That means you'd need to buy a MAF for 24lb injectors. The computer will compensate for the rest. If you are going for a big cam it may need a tuning chip installed.

Like stated...the factory ECU will handle a bunch of changes to a 92 mustang....provided they aren't radical like aftermarket heads and big camshafts with low vacuum.

The basic roller rocker, mild cam, exhaust, intake....won't need a chip.

Reactions: 1 user
I am going to move your thread to a different area of the site so it will get more traffic.
I dont suggest any tuner for your car these dont work the same as the newer cars, the eec iv gets a chip not a tuner.
If you want to talk aftermarket ecu that completely replaces the factory computer then I have some suggestions. However the factory eec is very forgiving and wont even flinch at most mods.
Ok, that answers my questions since i dont plan on messing with the the computer/wiring harness. Thanks alot!