Guess My H P !!! - The Dyno & 1/4 Mile Time Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Coming from someone who still is running my stock 5.0 in my 86 (so I do t know much from anything) ….. I feel that if I were to do all that to a motor, I’d want more than 251. Wasn’t a stock ‘91 225 hp?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Coming from someone who still is running my stock 5.0 in my 86 (so I do t know much from anything) ….. I feel that if I were to do all that to a motor, I’d want more than 251. Wasn’t a stock ‘91 225 hp?

At the flywheel. Like, 180 - 190 at the wheel. :shrug:

Also... No mention if it was a Dyno-Jet or Mustang Dyno. 250 WHP on a Mustang Dyno is [more] :O_o:

At the flywheel. Like, 180 - 190 at the wheel. :shrug:

Also... No mention if it was a Dyno-Jet or Mustang Dyno. 250 WHP on a Mustang Dyno is [more] :O_o:

You are correct. My dyno guy is using a Mustang dyno and he said most stock Fox mustangs he’s dyno’d make around 170hp at the wheels. He said mines probably making around 310-320 at the crank, so close to 100hp more than stock.

Reactions: 1 user
91 LX conv, 5.0, 5-spd, 3.73 gear set

Set-up:
  • 30 over 302
  • Aluminum Trick Flow Heads and Upper/Lower Intakes
  • 70mm EdleBrock Throttle Body
  • 80mm Pro-M Mass Air Meter
  • 24|b Injectors
  • MAC shorty headers
  • 2.5" X-pipe (no cats) and Flowmasters
  • Aftermarket chip
251 whp / 266 tq (Mustang Dynamometer)
Is it really running with the stock cam, since your list didn’t mention a cam? With all the mods, you need a cam.

Bill

Went to the Antique Drags this weekend so now I can post here.
62 Falcon 2dr 2790lbs with me in it
302 roller from an 80s Town car with dished low compression stock pistons
E4 heads, stock HO cam, Explorer intake, 19lb injectors, iron exhaust manifolds into 2" single
4R70W with a Quick2 controller.
8" trac lok with 3.00 gears spinning 195/60/14s.

10.5s @ 70ish consistently in the 1/8 mile
Made everybody else look fast
It's been a year. I installed Sanderson headers and 2.5" gasser style pipes that dump in front of the doors. Picked up 1/2 second and 5mph in the 1/8. Ran a best 10.068 @ 74.394.

1998 Explorer 5.0 W/170k miles. Heads have never been pulled. (stock 'P' Heads)
Stock HO Cam installed straight up with 1.7 Rockers. Trick Flow valve springs
Ported explorer lower intake/Tubular upper with 70mm Accufab
FRPP Shorties/off road H/Flowmaster Cat Back
Underdrives/EFan
30lb Injectors/190lph fuel pump
PimpXS Tuned by me

Made 281rwhp/326rwtq SAE on 9/7/23. DynoJet dyno. 5spd car, 3.27s, pulls made in 4th gear.

I'll Attach the dyno sheet soon.

Red line was the best pull 9/7/22

Green and blue were 9/7/23. Same dyno and operator each time.

Exceeds 300rwtq from about 3150-4850.

Attachments

• dynosheet.jpg
    dynosheet.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I haven't run the car yet, car weight is 3050 w/ 1/2 tank of gas and functional A/C.

ALOT of time was spent tuning/datalogging. It's surprising how hard it runs given the simple combo.

Edit--Looked at my most recent datalog for an acceleration delta. From 2000-5700 rpm in 2nd gear (roughly 23-70mph) took 4.2 seconds.

Last edited:
I'd guess your car is about ~200 lbs lighter than Black Jack (my daily driver) & it made ~270 rwhp (X heads/GT40 intake/E-cam). It ran a [email protected] best. It might have squeaked out another 1 mph, optimally. So, I'd guess you're going to see 110-112 mph, if your time slip matches your dyno. Just a guess. What you have that I don't is a ported intake. What I had that you don't is the E-CAM & X-heads, which were seemingly running 10+ rwhp better than P-heads.

It would be cool to see that datalog as well as maybe a 3rd or 4th gear pull. I've devised a couple of scripts that can calculate power in the real world. I typically have to make a lot of assumptions, though. Things like weather (da adjustment), wind (speed & direction), level road, and I have some basic data on foxbodies like Cd & frontal area. So, it's not perfect, but its still kinda fun for me.

Last edited:
I can go datalog it and send it to you. 3rd gear I can do, 4th to 5-5500rpm is a rare occurrence. 125mph would be hard to explain to the law.
Hehe... The last time I did that I was in North Dakota. It cost me $50 then for 125 in a 75. I was on a long curved on-ramp and decelerating when he clocked me. :D

He was pretty cool about it. :shrug: Was a young kid. I thought he was going to wipe out in the median when he hit the grass (still too fast to flip around).

I pulled over and waited for him to get into traffic my way. LoL

The wife was less than amused but she was fine too. :rolleyes:

Tried to upload my last datalog last night, file was too big. It was 4.26 seconds in 2nd gear from just under 2k-5777.

I'll take a 1,2,3--2nd gear and 3 gear pull in the next week or so, keeping them separate to minimize file size. The 1,2,3 might look odd as 1st gear from a 2k rpm roll to the 6k rpm rev limit takes about .5 seconds.

Sent 2 datalogs. A 2nd gear only pull and a 3rd-4th pull as well. Took it a bit too high in 3rd, power starts to fall off at 5500--shifted at near 5800. Took it to 48-4900 in 4th as well on the same pull.

Curious to see what your findings are. Temps were 70 degrees, 1500 ft elevation, 55% humidity. Wind is less than 5mph, didn't pay attention to which direction. 3rd-4th pull was on a VERY slight incline. 2nd gear was flat.

Car weight with me in it was roughly 3250lbs.