Hate from the magazine that's praised the II....

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga

Not that it'll matter, but I've already emailed the author.

1684499665300.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I think your completely right. You read lately very often, that this old non-reflected hate about the Mustang II is not justified.
I think the one or other would wonder how much Mustang II is in a Fox...

There is good and bad to be said about every car
Makes you wonder what car that supposed genius author drives?
What other old hotrods does he own that are worth a fortune?
He is probably a stuffed shirt liberal (all hat and no cattle)?
Money and an english lit degree make him the sheet?

Here was my reply to his ignorance.

to christian_seabaugh

Have you ever driven a II? How about driving one after driving a 73 Mustang? How about compared to any 70's GM product? Or Chrysler product of the era? I have. Including a 6.6 4 speed Trans am. It handled like :poo:. Had gobs of power but could not take a corner.

Do you have any clue what was on the roads in the 70's? Not the rare special late 60's era muscle. The daily driven 70's cars. They were slow. All of them. If they had any quickness they were so nose heavy they could not take a corner.

Amazing people with no idea repeat the hate about a II.

What Mustang brought the mustang back to its roots. Which is proven correct as the cars have stayed roughly the size of a II? Which suspension is still used today? Do you know why the strut was introduced in 79? Saved time manufacturing the cars. Not that it was better. It was time efficient during manufacturing. When was a rack and pinion introduced? Oh yeah. That's right.

What 5 year run of Mustangs beat the sales numbers of the II? Which Mustangs had horrific sales numbers? The giant early 70's ones? The modern ones made of plastic? The squared off no style fox body econoboxes with interiors of cheap brittle plastic?

What Mustang introduced t tops?

Yet you hate on a II. You do realize it shows how ignorant you are. Repeating a cycle of hate just because you heard about it in passing. Not intelligent enough to do some actual research of your own. Just regurgitate what you hear. Really sad for an editor at MT to do that. Maybe educate yourself next time before you decide to spew hate.

Proud owner of several II's for almost half a century. One of which I beat everyone who was willing to run curvy back roads with me back in the day. Sure on the highway the gm's would take the II. Stop light to stop light they could rarely beat it. Corners they could never come close. I would see their headlights dive into the pavement in my rearview as I flew through the corners.

Mark D

Reactions: 1 users
So I got a reply - which I did NOT expect. :shrug:

Pump the brakes there, Phil—it was a joke! Yes, the Mustang II was our 1974 COTY, and yes, despite my age I have driven one. Objectively speaking, it’s the least-Mustang of all Mustangs (including the Mach E). That doesn’t mean it’s a bad car, but it just isn’t a great Mustang.

Christian

So I replied back.

I'm happy that you've actually driven one! But what does a Mustang drive like? I've driven different Mustang variations over the years including a 65 I6, 66 351W swap, 67 I6, 68 289, 73 351C convertible, 83 GT, 84 V6 and GT, 85 4 banger and GT, 87 GT, a new edge V6, an 04 Mach 1, an 06 GT-H, and a multitude of different IIs. They all drive differently, so 'driving like a Mustang' is somewhat subjective.

The II was basically the first retro styled car if you look at it in a certain way. It actually had more "Mustang" in it than the Fox body. Running grill pony, "C" sculpt body lines, and 3 bar tail lights to name a few. As I'm sure you're aware, they sold pretty well when they came out - which is what a car is supposed to do for a manufacturer, so someone somewhere thought they were something worth spending the money on at some point.

But it's not a funny joke, especially when it's the overwhelming majority of opinions that are blasted from everyone since way back, generally from those who only have second hand knowledge or just don't like it's looks. Too many people look at things with a prejudicial view - which your joke supports. Stating such things can actually alienate some of your audience.

And, as far as your last sentence goes - I'll say the same about the Mach E. I'm sure it's a great car! But it's not a Mustang. Thanks for the reply though! I sincerely didn't expect one!

Well, I haven't picked up one of those MT or RT magazines for years and years
The car and trucks of the year have been bought and paid for for years and years
When they put your car on the front then you buy a copy
Carbon pounds per mile were cool specs to look at last time I picked one up

Reactions: 1 users