01 wheel hop

• Sponsors (?)

The mustang shop I took mine to told me that the main culprit is the differential bushings. I had ordered the whole steeda bushing kit (IRS, SF, etc) and they tld me not to bother with anything but the diff. Not sure how much it helped yet, but I am goin to the track tonight so I will post an update tomorrow.

I installed a Maximum Motorsports crossmember and it helps considerably. It brings the rear up to '03 - '04 specs. Basically what it does is add support to the front of the differential. It is a relatively inexpensive and easy update.

Kenny Brown has my car I pick it up tomorrow. THey have several things they do...the Rear steer kit is on my future list of things from them once I need an alignment again.

For now I got the IRS Brace with aluminum bushings for wheel hop and a few other things to keep the chasis tight and get her around corners.

culby01 said:
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get rid of the wheel hop problem that I am having with my 01 cobra vert.?

Swap your IRS for a solid rear. If you find a GT owner who wants an IRS, you can usually trade straight up for their axle and the labor cost for the swap.

If you want to keep the IRS, you can minimize wheel hop with differential bushings, a pinion nose brace, IRS subframe bushings, and adjustable shocks.

I went with the poly differential bushings from Steeda and the #4 IRS brace from FMS. It took me about 1.5 hours to get everything in and tightened up. I did it in my driveway with no problems. Alignment of everything was the biggest consumer of time.

I never really had any problem with wheel hop. What had convinced me to do it was an attempt to tighten up the rear end and eliminate some random stray noises emanating from that area. It certainly did this. It feels much better in and out of corners, hooks up much more quickly accelerating from a stop, and shifting is much tighter.

I bought the stock '03 cross brace from Downs Ford and Steeda diff bushings. What kind of problems did you have installing the brace bt15? Looks like I have to remove a couple BIG A$$ bolts to mount the brace. How did you do it? It looks like the bushings mount in using the brace after that.

DirtySanchez said:
Swap your IRS for a solid rear. If you find a GT owner who wants an IRS, you can usually trade straight up for their axle and the labor cost for the swap.

If you want to keep the IRS, you can minimize wheel hop with differential bushings, a pinion nose brace, IRS subframe bushings, and adjustable shocks.

What he said.

You can throw all those parts on there for an IRS and it will help the hop on the street. When you go to the strip it'll be the same old story. I installed Steeda springs with '03 Bilstein shocks and it wouldn't hop for anything on the street. First time to the strip, jackhammer in the trunk.

I said f' it and just swapped axles and I ain't looking back.