'03 Gt Overheated, Stalled...

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Car: 2003 GT. About this exact time last year, I had to replace the water pump.

Yesterday on my way home, I was waiting to turn on the exit to the highway when I caught a strong whiff of coolant coming from somewhere. I glanced at my gauges and saw the temperature gauge was fine so I thought it must be another car around me (nice day, had the windows open). Drove the 2-3 miles down the highway and took my exit to go home. About halfway down that road I noticed the temperature gauge starting to creep up. I was only about a mile from the house so I was praying I could get it home.

Then, any time I had to slow down, the car would stall out. I could fire it again and get it going but the next time I needed to slow down, it would stall. As I got it into my parking lot, it stalled again, but it wouldn't crank to start this time so I had to muscle it into my spot. The temp gauge was high but wasn't quite all the way up.

A few hours later I checked things out...no coolant in the reservoir, didn't see anything under the car so it all must've spewed out on the drive...though the inner sidewall of the passenger tire looks wet...the front cover of the engine, more toward the passenger side, looks coated from coolant. I did try to fire it up again and it started right up. Only let it run for maybe a minute and shut it down. Did not yet check the oil.

Could the water pump have failed again?

• Sponsors (?)

no coolant in the system would explain the gauge not being pegged...

It could be the water pump, but I'd assume if it was leaking that much it should be fairly easy to spot the source. Just fill it with water, start it up and watch for leaks.

Thanks...checked the oil and there was no milky look to it. So I proceeded to pour some water into the reservoir. Once it had a few seconds to work it's way down the system, I heard it coming right back out underneath the car. Passenger side, bottom of the radiator. At least I think it's the radiator area. Not sure what to make of it but it doesn't look good I guess. I'll be calling the shop tomorrow. Took a couple pictures:

IMG_20150521_181417513.jpg

IMG_20150521_180857456.jpg