Progress Thread 12th Owner: My '93 Notchback Restoration & Performance Build

• Sponsors (?)

STILL wrestling with my car losing power above 5,000 rpm. I'm starting to suspect I have valve float. Car pulls hard to 5k and then hesitates, pops and exhibits power loss. It has the Trick Flow HCI kit, but the springs are the original ones that came with the heads and I know the car was driven fairly hard before I bought it. Anyone want to make any suggestions?
20210513_155049.jpg

Got my car back today from the mechanic after swapping out the existing springs with upgraded Trick Flow dual valve springs. Turns out my longstanding two year problem WAS valve float. Car now pulls hard to 6250 rpm with no skipping or other engine drama. However, just 1.8 miles from my house my clutch pedal decided to go right to the floor. Not sure if I broke the cable or what happened. If it's not one thing it's another.
20210521_160634.jpg
Screenshot_20210521-212101_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Got my car back today from the mechanic after swapping out the existing springs with upgraded Trick Flow dual valve springs. Turns out my longstanding two year problem WAS valve float. Car now pulls hard to 6250 rpm with no skipping or other engine drama. However, just 1.8 makes from my house my clutch pedal decided to go right to the floor. Not sure if I broke the cable or what happened. If it's not one thing it's another.

It’s always something, my man. When I first got mine, the same thing happened. I figured it was just the cable. Got my new cable and got underneath it to swap ‘em out. Cable was fine, throw out bearing was toast. Ugh.

I have to remind myself a lot to take the long view. The car isn’t going anywhere. You’ll fix it, and there will be many, many more miles to enjoy

5ADA6AA8-38C0-4CA2-A443-0FAB8574421E.jpeg
5CE1D735-139A-4807-A7EB-7462C554ECB6.jpeg

It’s always something, my man. When I first got mine, the same thing happened. I figured it was just the cable. Got my new cable and got underneath it to swap ‘em out. Cable was fine, throw out bearing was toast. Ugh.

I have to remind myself a lot to take the long view. The car isn’t going anywhere. You’ll fix it, and there will be many, many more miles to enjoy

5ADA6AA8-38C0-4CA2-A443-0FAB8574421E.jpeg
5CE1D735-139A-4807-A7EB-7462C554ECB6.jpeg
Clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, new throwout bearing installed less than 1k ago. But I appreciate the kind words and will look at the bearing as a potential culprit.

Do you have a suggestion for the throw out bearing? The one I received came in the Ford M7560A302N Clutch Kit.

Last edited:
Clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, new throwing bearing installed less than 1k ago. But I appreciate the kind words and will look at the bearing as a potential culprit.

Do you have a suggestion for the throw out bearing? The one I received came in the Ford M7560A302N Clutch Kit.
I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to say that’s what happened in your case. I would never wish my luck on others lol. Honestly, the cable is probably the most likely culprit.

Clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, new throwing bearing installed less than 1k ago. But I appreciate the kind words and will look at the bearing as a potential culprit.

This is the one I’ve been using for last 10 years or so. Same as the Ford racing one but cheaper

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users