1964 1/2 Restore - Help With Paint Choice - Looking For Opinions

Discussion in '1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-' started by Zac Womack, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Hello everyone-

I am in the middle of rebuilding my 64 1/2 Mustang. It was my first car in 1996 and I drove it until 2001, well I can now afford to rebuild it. It was originally white with red interior, but we painted it red in 1996. It looked good, but I am think about paining it a silver/gray/metallic type color and keeping the red interior for this restore. What would you recommend? I am on the fence and want to make a good choice. It's hard to go against red, but all red (interior & exterior) could be a little too much red. I value other Mustang owners opinions and would appreciate yours. Also, feel free to recommend other colors to go with the red interior. I don't mind black, but I think it would be very hot. Thanks. My goal is to have it ready for next April for the 50th Annivesary of the Mustang.

Pictured below is a picture of my car once we finished restoring it in 1996. I will try to post a picture of the silver/gray paint job I am considering as well.

Attached Files:

2. Here is another look at the colors and red interior. Mine is a coupe though!

Attached Files:

3. im going thru this same problem. I love red but ive seen alot of red/black/white mustangs. Blue is my wifes vote but im not totally sold. A minty green would look good- on mine. Yours, red interior, graphite would look pretty sweet, but so would a nice silver. I think black always looks good with a red interior...

4. I like your metallic silver idea. Sounds sharp. Not that it matters but my daily driver is a silver Fusion, and it hides dirt better than any car I ever owned. :nice:

5. image.jpg For some reason I vote metallic gray as well... My interior is black but I almost went red would of looked pretty dang good IMO

65 stang thing likes this.
  6. I'd go with the red. Poppy red or candy apple. But of course I am biased.

7. Silver with a lip stick red interior always looks good on just about any car. Mercedes has a nice metallic silver. I'm not crazy about red on red for some reason. Blue on blue looks good too.

8. Depending on how dark you want silver smoke gray

Attached Files:

9. Shame to post this car on the forum but I think this gray would look good on a mustang this is the new bug in platinum gray

Attached Files:

10. I love blue to I'm gonna be doing my 65 fastback in this color it's called
    Medium wedgewood m6724

Attached Files:

11. Ummm Grabber green!!!!!

12. there is a ford color that is a charcoal color and the paint code is UJ. There is a darker charcoal and the paint code is CX. Both of the colors are ford colors, if you want to keep it a ford color. In my opinion i would do white or black... I just dont think any other color looks good with red interior. But it is your car and you can do whatever you want. CX is usually the color of F-150 bumpers and UJ is on the new fusions and foucs'... Oh and UH is a nice black metallic that really looks good out in the sun. Just some options for you.
    http://www.carclearance.com/chrome..../cc_2013FRD018a_320/cc_2013FRD018a_320_UJ.png

13. You might like this I know you wanted to stray from red but you might like it it's mbenz mars red

Attached Files:

14. Or this is m6346 bright red

Attached Files: