1966 9 in rear end ??

Mike66

Oct 5, 2009
I am converting my 66 I6 to v8 and was wondering will a 9in from a 67 mustang work? if so, will there be any major mods i have besides changing out the plates and longer u bolts.

• Sponsors (?)

Like Realmongo said, it will bolt in, but the wheels won't fit right under the fenders. I had a '65 that someone put a '67-68 rear end in and the tires stuck out too far. It got pulled in favor of a Versailles before the car ever hit the road anyway.

On the flip side, I have a 1957 9" under my '68 and I think it looks a little too narrow. Guess I need to trade with someone. :rolleyes:

Im not into the style with the wheels sticking out too far.. this guy is giving me a deal on one but i think i might have to keep searching.

Like Realmongo said, it will bolt in, but the wheels won't fit right under the fenders. I had a '65 that someone put a '67-68 rear end in and the tires stuck out too far. It got pulled in favor of a Versailles before the car ever hit the road anyway.

On the flip side, I have a 1957 9" under my '68 and I think it looks a little too narrow. Guess I need to trade with someone. :rolleyes:

If you want to meet me halfway i might consider trading...:nice:
im in sacramento ca

If you wanted to put late model wheels on your 66, then it would work great! Otherwise find one better suited, or better still, get an aftermarket one with everything you want ( gear ratio, limited slip, good axles, disc brakes if you like).

where do you live. I have a 8 inch out of a 66 car i can sell. unless you are going to build some monster hp motor, the 8 will work perfect if built up correctly.

You can have it narrowed, thats how I did mine, I'm a few months ahead of you doing the same project. I have my 289 sitting here 75% done and my suspension and rear end are all in. the rear end was a lot of work, I have a little over 2K into the rear end alone, but its a 9" narrowed to fit 15x8 magnums 500's running 245/60/15 bfgs's.

Attachments

• Stang.jpg
    Stang.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 74
  • stang2.jpg
    stang2.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 84