Status
Not open for further replies.
Awww, look Mike. I just went and got everyone to kiss your @$$. I can see you blush from Iowa.

But seriously, the red car was cool, aside from the digital gauges.

The only thing about the red car I would've done different was use a hatchback car. A notch looks cool, but there were no 69 mach 1 coupes. The hatch was the fox fastback. This is why i always gravitate toward hatch cars... I had a 70 fastback, and I was hooked. Just a preference thing I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Awww, look Mike. I just went and got everyone to kiss your @$$. I can see you blush from Iowa.

Didn't Mike change out those digital gauges for a retro set? Hey, @madmike1157 , your thread here, don't I remember you showing me a picture of that?

Hey, I didn't ask to be compared to that silver car, but "somebody" offered it up for consideration. And "somebody" kept harping about the wheels and the gauges being the limiting obstacles keeping the intended theme from hitting the mark. And I changed them.
So in the grand scheme of things I guess I was the one kissing somebodies ass.

Didn't Mike change out those digital gauges for a retro set? Hey, @madmike1157 , your thread here, don't I remember you showing me a picture of that?

I did.

Soul baring time:

For whatever reason I'm gonna tell you guys this. I don't know how it's relevant,...I guess I could say that all things "red car" stem back to my financial meltdown,...and there is a moral to the story.

I really liked the red car. (as if the pic whoring wasn't a dead give away of that). In it's final iteration, the overall car was about as close to perfect in my eyes as I could get it. But the paint was sh it. The single most important part of that car was compromised by my decision to do a buddy deal on the paint and body, had the similar effect of someone dragging fingernails across a chalkboard every time I looked at the passenger side of that car. The door jambs were so thinly applied, you could see the black sealer that the guy used under the red, the semi-flat black hood faded, and weird wrinkle things started happening on the B pillars.

In a nut shell, I was embarrassed by the way it looked. I always strategically parked it at shows with the passenger side as hidden as possible.

When my business crashed in 2011 the car was still in mid build. I worked on it like a madman to finish it believing that it was an asset that could be liquidated to help offset the fact that there was very little income from the business. That car, like the Monster had every single major purchase paid for at that stage in time, so continuing the build part was costing me nothing except the time to do it. And it seemed that I had plenty of that.

Two things happened by the time I got it finished.

#1. The car I had been seeing in my head for two years was now complete, and I liked it.
#2. I got the job at Carmax.

When I first showed the thing at the NMRA meet in Bowling green, and the magazine shoot happened, I got a really swelled head. I figured I had a very valuable item, and that after the exposure, the car would be worth more. The financial damage that occurred during the crash of the business was only being abated by the new job (in other words, it wasn't getting worse). But the debt we incurred in the hopes that the business would turn around was too great, and we were getting killed by monthly payments.

So the decision to sell the thing became paramount, (despite the little inny voice going "Nooooo!!!")

Spending money on it was like a crack addiction. I always wanted it to be better. The wheel change over was 1200.00, and the gauges were another 1200.00. and I had no business spending 2400.00 on a complete car in our condition. I needed it to be gone. A crack addict will never stop being a crack addict with a pallet of crack sitting in the basement.

When it sold,....watching it roll away was painful. The fact that I had 12,500.00 in exchange was of little consolation, even though it probably made it one of the largest sums ever collected for a salvage title, one off custom with bad bodywork, and crap paint Fox body. With money in hand, I negotiated another couple of thousand off some of the debt by offering an immediate total payoff to some of the lenders, and that made the net proceeds for the red car more like 14,500.00.

For a car that had spent some part of it's past life underwater.

But the 14,500.00 shot of green money was just what the Dr. ordered to correct the tilt of our sinking ship.

So,...when considering the red car,.....yeah you're gonna hear me talk about it, and show pics of it way more than you want to,...It's like my dead dog. I'm a dog lover, so It's gonna take awhile to get over.

When a similar situation reappeared on the Monster, some things were similar, but the important things were way different.
I left CarMax because it looked like I would be able to make a go again at the old business. Once back at it, The "good times" lasted for only one year. By year two,...the writing was on the wall......I tried,...The business was too far gone to save, and my client base was too small to support me (unless I was content to live on about 12k a year.) And at 58,...crawling under a house, and in an 140 degree attic had ran it course.

The "similar" thing was simple. I needed to get a job.

The "different" thing was that our debt ratio had been dramatically reduced. (Way past what the 14,500.00 was able to do back in 2011) The wife had since gotten a great job and was able to "carry us" when my monthly net wasn't there. (So no negative tilt started to happen) Again, all of the major purchases on the Monster were made when I had the money to do it, only this time didn't knowingly circumvent monies that shoulda/coulda went elsewhere. This time,...there was no waiting in the hopes that things would get better. I learned that lesson 4 years ago. They won't. I got my "final" job so that the Monster can stay. And I like my job. I like it alot.

As for the Monster:.......
He's now free to languish around in his pen until the day comes when I can take him outside, so his nicely done bodywork can compliment his properly applied orange/black paint job, and he can glisten in the sun........Waiting on the day.........

That it can Bite Iowa Nick squarely in the ass.

That'll teach him to bad mouth the Monster.
10006167.jpg

And just in case you're trying to remember where it was that you bad mouthed the Monster...........

The Monster has the exact same digital gauges.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
You know what I like about ya @madmike1157 , you can open up. For the record though, I liked your pony R's more than the centerlines. But those damn digital gauges are straight knight rider, and need to get sold on ebay/craigslist to go in someones 80's firebird. I am glad you like being a genius, glad your ship is level, and glad you can take my sht and give it right back. My hood still sits in the corner of the garage, and I really might ship it to you when you are done with the Monster to see if you can make me what I want, and allow me to run a piece on my car that holds some value from all this online friend building. Youre a good guy Jeeves. Now get back sanding the Monster, memorizing over the top technology supposedly reserved for peeps half your age, and quit making me get all weepy eyed and junk.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I didn't ask to be compared to that silver car, but "somebody" offered it up for consideration. And "somebody" kept harping about the wheels and the gauges being the limiting obstacles keeping the intended theme from hitting the mark. And I changed them.
So in the grand scheme of things I guess I was the one kissing somebodies ass.

I did.

Soul baring time:

For whatever reason I'm gonna tell you guys this. I don't know how it's relevant,...I guess I could say that all things "red car" stem back to my financial meltdown,...and there is a moral to the story.

I really liked the red car. (as if the pic whoring wasn't a dead give away of that). In it's final iteration, the overall car was about as close to perfect in my eyes as I could get it. But the paint was sh it. The single most important part of that car was compromised by my decision to do a buddy deal on the paint and body, had the similar effect of someone dragging fingernails across a chalkboard every time I looked at the passenger side of that car. The door jambs were so thinly applied, you could see the black sealer that the guy used under the red, the semi-flat black hood faded, and weird wrinkle things started happening on the B pillars.

In a nut shell, I was embarrassed by the way it looked. I always strategically parked it at shows with the passenger side as hidden as possible.

When my business crashed in 2011 the car was still in mid build. I worked on it like a madman to finish it believing that it was an asset that could be liquidated to help offset the fact that there was very little income from the business. That car, like the Monster had every single major purchase paid for at that stage in time, so continuing the build part was costing me nothing except the time to do it. And it seemed that I had plenty of that.

Two things happened by the time I got it finished.

#1. The car I had been seeing in my head for two years was now complete, and I liked it.
#2. I got the job at Carmax.

When I first showed the thing at the NMRA meet in Bowling green, and the magazine shoot happened, I got a really swelled head. I figured I had a very valuable item, and that after the exposure, the car would be worth more. The financial damage that occurred during the crash of the business was only being abated by the new job (in other words, it wasn't getting worse). But the debt we incurred in the hopes that the business would turn around was too great, and we were getting killed by monthly payments.

So the decision to sell the thing became paramount, (despite the little inny voice going "Nooooo!!!")

Spending money on it was like a crack addiction. I always wanted it to be better. The wheel change over was 1200.00, and the gauges were another 1200.00. and I had no business spending 2400.00 on a complete car in our condition. I needed it to be gone. A crack addict will never stop being a crack addict with a pallet of crack sitting in the basement.

When it sold,....watching it roll away was painful. The fact that I had 12,500.00 in exchange was of little consolation, even though it probably made it one of the largest sums ever collected for a salvage title, one off custom with bad bodywork, and crap paint Fox body. With money in hand, I negotiated another couple of thousand off some of the debt by offering an immediate total payoff to some of the lenders, and that made the net proceeds for the red car more like 14,500.00.

For a car that had spent some part of it's past life underwater.

But the 14,500.00 shot of green money was just what the Dr. ordered to correct the tilt of our sinking ship.

So,...when considering the red car,.....yeah you're gonna hear me talk about it, and show pics of it way more than you want to,...It's like my dead dog. I'm a dog lover, so It's gonna take awhile to get over.

When a similar situation reappeared on the Monster, some things were similar, but the important things were way different.
I left CarMax because it looked like I would be able to make a go again at the old business. Once back at it, The "good times" lasted for only one year. By year two,...the writing was on the wall......I tried,...The business was too far gone to save, and my client base was too small to support me (unless I was content to live on about 12k a year.) And at 58,...crawling under a house, and in an 140 degree attic had ran it course.

The "similar" thing was simple. I needed to get a job.

The "different" thing was that our debt ratio had been dramatically reduced. (Way past what the 14,500.00 was able to do back in 2011) The wife had since gotten a great job and was able to "carry us" when my monthly net wasn't there. (So no negative tilt started to happen) Again, all of the major purchases on the Monster were made when I had the money to do it, only this time didn't knowingly circumvent monies that shoulda/coulda went elsewhere. This time,...there was no waiting in the hopes that things would get better. I learned that lesson 4 years ago. They won't. I got my "final" job so that the Monster can stay. And I like my job. I like it alot.

As for the Monster:.......
He's now free to languish around in his pen until the day comes when I can take him outside, so his nicely done bodywork can compliment his properly applied orange/black paint job, and he can glisten in the sun........Waiting on the day.........

That it can Bite Iowa Nick squarely in the ass.

That'll teach him to bad mouth the Monster.
10006167.jpg

And just in case you're trying to remember where it was that you bad mouthed the Monster...........

The Monster has the exact same digital gauges.
You know Mike, a set of nice retro gauges would look really cool......

Mike has placed me on the "No more Interference " list :(
With that being said- There are some options :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm going to have to make some sort of filler plate for my old truck because the gauge cluster is rusted away and 48-50 clusters arent being reproduced. Except for digital. That would be ok if it was going to be a restomod, but i really want a semi quasi period correct hotrod. Probably will go with some old timey looking auto meters. There are literally dozens of styles of gauges now to choose from, even digital- so the owner can make his car just the way he wants it.

c765e67aeffc57f748ee1f9b2b47aaa1?AccessKeyId=91BEDABB0E557F123D20&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg

You can poke, prod, and nag all you want. The gauges in the Monster were/are planned to be what they are. The difference between the red car and this one is that the digital gauges in the red car were not. They were left-overs from the street rod build that I bailed on when I decided to build the red car instead.

Left overs.

They were also defective, and Noordskog (The Mfg) had long since went out of business. The fact that Summit gave me a full refund for the 369.00 I paid for them, (3 years after they were originally purchased) so I could augment the price of the Autometers that ended up there had everything to do with that. Lastly, The red car was going after a retro theme,......What "theme" is the interior of the Monster?

So Far however, the current digital gauges in the Monster appear to be working. The pod that is built to accommodate them has been covered in leather that I had to pay somebody else to cover (Because of the compound shape of an oval piece of curved steel) and that "shape" has been integrated into the top piece of the dash that has also been covered in leather.
There are 6 gauges in that small space, including the tach and speedo. Additionally there are indicators for high beam, and TS. Changing the gauges over would require a complete rebuild of the pod.

So,.........How likely do you think it will be that I'll do that?

I don't know why I even bother to say anything.:nonono:

All anybody reads when I write something is blah-bla-bla-blah-blah.

I guess I shouldn't use contractions like won't, don't, and can't, because they somehow get convoluted, and come across as will, do, and can.

Here,.....I'll use all the words ......

I will not change the gauges, because I can not justify the expense, and I do not want to start over.
So you can all shut the hell up.

Reactions: 5 users

I guess I shouldn't use contractions like won't, don't, and can't, because they somehow get convoluted, and come across as will, do, and can.

I will not change the gauges, because I can not justify the expense, and I do not want to start over.
:lol:

Geez Mike. We need to get the burr out from under your saddle, buddy. Laugh a little. Lighten up. We wouldn't poke at you if we didn't love you.

Reactions: 1 user

And for what it's worth, when I have time, I read every word.

Status
Not open for further replies.