Status
Not open for further replies.
The commentary on this post is equally as good as the build!
The progress looks great and I love the way the rear of the car is turning out, also pleasantly surprised to see it running and all is good after the head gasket - Exxon Valdés incident...
If the front end turns out as well as the back this is a winner for sure. Plan "D" hood scoop is surely a winner!

• Sponsors (?)

I like it alot..!!!!!!! By any chance did you ever think on making it on both sides?....except the other side a dummy one use the mesh also but not opened behind it?....to make it look and match the other one....

Yeah, I know that adding the other side would balance out the hood.I was telling myself to remember that the thing is a one-off, and the likelihood that I'd be able to reproduce the thing closely enough to actually match each other is pretty slim. As much of a pain in the ass as it is to do, and redo everything that I do, I'd hate to have to redo that whole damn hood because it ends up looking like doo-doo.:O_o:

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Man what a week.

All week long, I've been working,.....no scratch that......slaving away on my most recent hair brained "modification" that I'll make to this car.

During the past 5 days, the temps have hovered just about 96, w/ heat indexes that go into the triple digits. By the end of the day, I'm completely drenched in sweat, and smelling like the bottom of a trash can. I told the wife today that after the rain, that I kept catching a whiff of something that was just "off"..I kept getting these random whiffs for the rest of the afternoon. It just seemed weird that I kept smelling the strange/bad odor especially since it had just rained.

It wasn't until after I came in the house, and stripped off the soaking wet T-shirt that I realized that the bad smell was me.:cloud:

See,.....Not only do I have to deal w/ all of the crap that is involved w/ the building of the car, I also get to do it while smelling really bad.

My last update detailed the many iterations that the hood scoop went through to get to the final version. Seems everybody liked the final version, and most commented that I should consider building a clone to match it to balance out the hood.

I agree with that. Despite the fact that there is absolutely nothing functional to gain from building and mounting another hood scoop on the opposite side of the hood, the cosmetic "balance" will be worth the effort. I only hope I can make another version that closely matches the one already built.

Now I could've done that, and this update would've been about doing it , but the fact of the matter is,.....I didn't.

I had to get rid of the other "idea" that popped into my head first.

Again, as per my sketch, I wanted to do something different w/ the exhaust. The sketch details a center mounted exhaust hanging directly below the bumper.
Building the thing turned out to be way more involved than the plan. Nonetheless, I slogged through it. I just didn't feel a single fart pipe looking thing hanging under the bumper, although it would've been so easy to just chees out and go to AZ and buy one. It's just one more thing that took way too long and caused me a whole bunch of grief along the way.

I built this thing out of 16 ga. mild steel. To say that it is a little heavy is an understatement. Especially considering that a typical exhaust tip probably weighs a whole whopping pound or two, I now have the equivalent of about 10-15 of those dudes back there.

D5AC2BC3-4AB1-443E-B4B6-ED329B9EEB18_zpsgghtopl5.jpg

A187B071-FDF4-4231-ADB3-97FC411081A9_zpsscc8vyzw.jpg

The problem that came with building this thing, and still remains even now, is the failure of the farthest outside edges to follow the curvature of the bumper.
The bumper crowns out and up. and despite the fact that I literally clamped the main center section to the bumper before welding the outside triangles in place, The damn thing just wont follow the curve. I have cut relief cuts in the outside traingles two additional times, clamped everything in place to avoid heat related warpage and welded the thing in spurts to be sure it all was welded before committing to the final welding.

It still comes out wonky.

I started on this thing Tuesday, and up until 6 PM today, have been dicking with it non-stop.
I think it looks good, and I'm curious to see how it will sound, but I'm sure that those hanging down outside corners are gonna cause me to cut it apart again. (and I know that it's gotta be getting thin in places from all the grinding)

8817B138-E3DE-47D5-8858-B040F68F716C_zpsukcqmk9v.jpg

7F8283F7-D187-46EC-B599-B5999A2570EB_zps8fe01a6p.jpg

The 3" pipe that comes into the thing had to be "persuaded" down to the 2" height of the rear entry. I flared the transition into the box, and flattened the tube somewhat to mate the two surfaces up. Once the exhaust gets past that tiny choke point though, it flows into the big center chamber where it exits through the 1.5" x 36" slot in the center.

Right now the thing isn't tied into the exhaust, but it's only a matter of one 45 degree bend, and a couple of 3" V band weld rings to hook the thing up. As you can see in the pic, it is rigidly mounted. Well see how that goes after I get the thing back running again.

As for the droopy outriggers, I have a few choices:
A. leave the damn things alone.
B. add a filler strip on top to fill in the gap.
C. cut them off altogether, and redo the outside outrigger in a shorter, more stunted angle that more closely matches the drawing in the sketch.

I spent stupid money on some body filler to finish the thing. After doing some research this morning, I found that Evercoats Rage body filler is rated to withstand 260 degrees F. And I rushed downtown this morning to one of the paint supply stores and bought me a gallon of that stuff. $50 bucks a gallon. Compare that to the 20.00 a gallon that the actual Bondo brand costs, it better have some magic formula inside. Now that I have that junk, I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to finish the thing and get it in primer before it turns as orange as the rest of the bare metal on the car.

Attachments

• 2DCE58DC-77CF-4CC5-A8F4-15DEBD2ADFD8_zpslqxidzei.jpg
    2DCE58DC-77CF-4CC5-A8F4-15DEBD2ADFD8_zpslqxidzei.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 130
If you saved all of the parts that you remade, rebuilt and otherwise changed around completely how many cars do you think we could build?
Enough sheet metal to patch up a dozen or so cars that got junked . Lmfao

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

I have to change my nick name.

They used to call me Do it twice Mike.
I earned that nickname not because i was a perfectionist, but because I'd go into a project w/ little more than an idea.
Plan? Screw the plan, I typically would just cut and fit things together, and instead of tacking it, I'd weld the piss out of it.
When it wouldn't fit, or it looked all goofy, I'd end up doing it again.

Hence the nickname.

Now it seems that little has changed, w/ one obvious exception:

It takes me multiple times to get it right, after I do it wrong the first time.

Take the exhaust tip as an example ( The Gila Hole).

I don't have to tell you that the original version was modified a total of three times trying to get it to fit. Unless you didn't read the commentary.

There were multiple problems w/ the design, and I'll get to all of them, but we'll go along and discover them in the order that I did.

First the wings, outriggers, outside triangles, what ever you want to call them, were contacting the rear most part of the bottom of the bumper. It was suggested that I put a floor jack against them and hydraulically "tweak" them.

I didn't even try that.

The fact that they were triangles, backed by 16 ga. steel, w/ a 1/8" thick x 1/4" wide frame on front was one reason, the other was that they were already making contact w/ the rear bottom edge of the bumper would've made that pointless.

3A60B963-7F8E-4655-81AA-929EFCDE2FFF_zpsxp5j6l9t.jpg

I cut them off.

I then modified the remaining center section by covering up the wounds, and finished it by running stiffening tubes through the main body to lessen the possibility of unwanted harmonics ( i.e. rattling) as a by product of the exhaust pulses.

BA06D967-8241-40C0-B0B0-E0FE0E5AFC14_zpsqcyzsniy.jpg

F7B7ACE7-5807-406F-98A5-DE63344DB340_zps529hbubo.jpg

I put the newly shortened main body in place, only to discover that it still was over a 1/4" away from the bumper at the outside edges. There simply wasn't anything else I could do to the thing to get it to fit better.
See the "do it twice Mike" part of me evidently put the mesh on upside down, and the curvature that I built into the framed front was frowning, instead of smiling. It was now obvious by looking at it. I had indeed rushed through putting the front on the thing, and even though the curvature isn't that evident when you look at it laying on a table, it's real obvious when it's installed the wrong way.

I had no choice but to cut the front grille off the thing, and start over.

45454.jpg

In actuality, there was more wrong with the front piece than the fact that it was upside down, I got it too hot when welding it together, and it was all wavy and had buckled. It had to go.

I built a new front.

This time being ever so careful to make sure that the orientation of the grille was smiling before I welded it in place. And,...as opposed to last time, moved around alot more so as to keep from getting the thing too hot while I was welding it.

But I ran out of welding gas before I could completely finish the thing.

I ground those welds smooth, and bolted the thing into place.

Only to discover that I had the thing off center by almost an inch.

I took it back off and cut the mounts back off (that I thankfully only tacked on).

That left the only thing I could do to check the fit.

CBF1D34F-8B17-41EC-A0AF-7766A387356B_zpsbxvivlpg.jpg

THAT is what I'm talking about!!!

Finally, after 7 days I almost have an exhaust tip that I can live with. I have one more day in re doing the mounts, prepping it, painting it (High heat black)and tying the thing into the exhaust. But this pig is done.

Reactions: 4 users
Very glad you do everything twice. Second (or fifth) go round on the exhaust is much better than original. I was going to suggest filling the front of the hood scoop, to basically have a 2001 Nicholas Cage Eleanor mini bulge on one side... Still unique, and would keep all water out. But since you are keeping it functional, I would definitely go with putting some mini Gila fins in place of that rust to let the hot air out. Maybe even on both sides to get as much hot air out as possible. If the design works for the GT500's, I bet it would work for you.

I literally sit here and crack up while reading the dialog in this post. I don't know if it is the frankly honest nature that it is written in or if it is just so relate-able? Either way, I certainly enjoy the inside your head perspective as this project progresses! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that builds things and promptly throws them right in the trash :nice: This thread is a true testament to the paitentce that you have @madmike1157

Reactions: 6 users
Very glad you do everything twice. Second (or fifth) go round on the exhaust is much better than original. I was going to suggest filling the front of the hood scoop, to basically have a 2001 Nicholas Cage Eleanor mini bulge on one side... Still unique, and would keep all water out. But since you are keeping it functional, I would definitely go with putting some mini Gila fins in place of that rust to let the hot air out. Maybe even on both sides to get as much hot air out as possible. If the design works for the GT500's, I bet it would work for you.
Believe me when I tell you that I'd much rather get it right the first time.
I literally sit here and crack up while reading the dialog in this post. I don't know if it is the frankly honest nature that it is written in or if it is just so relate-able? Either way, I certainly enjoy the inside your head perspective as this project progresses! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that builds things and promptly throws them right in the trash :nice: This thread is a true testament to the paitentce that you have @madmike1157

And to think..... all of this, while maintaining my status/image as a prick/assholio at the same time.
Who'd of thunk it... A dickhead w/ a sense of humor.

It all comes down to what I see when I read some (not all) of the other threads.

** insert your most monotonous, monotone here, and read slowly**

"Here is a pic of my shock,...here is a pic of my spindle,.....here is a pic of my spring"

Or conversely, the shotgun approach:

"Here are a bunch of pics,.....enjoy"

What.....The.....F**k?:doh:

I write the updates the way I do mostly because it entertains me (I think I'm funny). It seems to me that I may as well make it an interesting read if it takes me AN ENTIRE WEEK to build an exhaust tip. The self deprecating part is just normal stuff for me,...if it takes me 6 times to get it right, I'm not one to say that I got it right the first time.

At the same time, that doesn't obscure the fact that I'm always right everywhere else.:pirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.