Progress Thread 1980 Notch build - autocross w/occasional trips to the drags

I installed the front suspension last night. A tubular control arm, FFP 5300-C springs, '95 spindles, bilsteins, MM caster/camber plates. My question today, can I trim the flange on the factory K member? I haven't set the camber, but I'm worried that the strut is going to crash into the K member when turning.

Attachments

• IMG_20240308_200657035.jpg
    IMG_20240308_200657035.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240308_201825285.jpg
    IMG_20240308_201825285.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240309_171634103.jpg
    IMG_20240309_171634103.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Sponsors (?)

If you need to do not trim metal off that point. See if you can heat the lip and roll it up like rolling a fender lip. If that works the seal it up so it doesn’t rust out.

Another issue I discovered; the rear axle is offset to the passenger side by 3/4 - 1". It's a '95 8.8 that I bought w/the front spindles. I replaced the upper axle bushings (factory style), bought new factory style upper CA's, and I'm reusing (for now) the '95 factory lower CA's that came w/the axle. All bolts are loose for now.

Also; is there any reason I should NOT run a SN95 5.0 & auto trans? As you can see in the previous post, I have no engine, trans, radiator, etc.

First you need to check and make sure the hood will close with the spacer stack you currently have on the strut. If it will not then I would say you need to restack the spacers on the struts so that you have (2) 0.48" spacers and (1) 0.24" spacer under the CC plates. Looks like you got the main plates on the proper sides and the bearing plated installed correctly.

Did the axle fit side to side in the other car? Just making sure you do not have bent control arms or bent brackets on the rear end housing. Do you have the rear coil springs oriented correctly? This would be with the bottom pigtails pointing towards the driver side of the car. Best picture I could find on short notice.

1711413997303.jpeg

The hood closes fine. It was my understanding that one big and one small spacer went below and on top of the plate. I'll try and verify tomorrow. The rear axle was not in a car when I purchased it. The upper CA's are new as I mentioned. The lowers came w/the axle. I have new hardware for the rear CA's so I'll investigate that problem further. I'm not sure about the springs, but I'll give them a look when I'm under there for the CA"s. I wasn't aware that there was a proper orientation for the rear spring. Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I really appreciate all the help.

From the MM installation instructions:

25. Reinstall the strut shaft retaining nut and hand tighten. (Figure 10)
IMPORTANT - At least one spacer above the spherical bearing is required to allow proper movement. Failure to do so will result in limited bearing articulation and possible damage to the bearing and/or the strut!