1994 cobra low amps at idle

notch351

Jul 30, 2010
I know this was a common problem on the older foxes with under drive pulleys and stuff but my 94 cobra seems to drop a good amount of amps at idle when the light,fog lights or rear defrost are running. i know this car came with under driven pulleys but i cant tell if they were ever switched on my car or not. i have a brand new battery alt checks out ok and i have been replacing ground straps. are there any hidden ground straps that may affect this that i may be missing. any other thoughts would be appreciated. i dont know the exact read out but the gauge needle sits between the n and o and i do notice the lights dim. car runs fine just annoying want to fix it

• Sponsors (?)

It's pretty normal for it to drop at idle. Honestly, so long as it doesn't end up with dead batteries I wouldn't worry about it. Any chance you can get a voltmeter and actually figure out what it is? There is always one for sale for $3 at Harbor Freight. The battery should be around 12.8V with the car shut off. As long as it's more than that with the car running, you are fine. If it drops below battery voltage, try putting a smaller pulley on the alternator.

Kurt

Yup, typical underdrive pulley crap and precisely why I don't use them and why I talk everyone I know out of them. The power you get simply isn't worth the headaches they cause. You can either remove the U/D pulleys or get a 200 amp alternator built, or use a smaller alt pulley.