2001 Gt 4r70w Problem

James Shearer

Jul 15, 2015
I bought my second mustang, a 2001 GT with a 4R70W, the first is a base 3.8 with a 4R70W, so I am familiar with these trannies with high miles. My dilemma is figuring out what is wrong. Here are the symptoms of the GT tranny. I found out a little more about the problem bring it home. We bought the GT knowing the tranny needed to be replaced or so we were told.Its problem stems from a teenager coupled with a GT and an automatic transmission, I am sure you can imagine what was done to this transmission in the hands of a young adult.
Anyway we were towing it home to Death Valley from Pahrump NV, when we were outside of the boundary of the park, I had a bright idea of coasting into the valley, it drops almost 4000 feet in 12 miles by the time you reach Furnace Creek. We got the car ready to coast and I started it since it is easier to break and steer with the engine running. Once the car got rolling at about 10 mph, I figured "what the hell" and put into drive from neutral. Low and behold, the tranny has a little bit of life left in it. I could feel it shift gears, it was faint but it was shifting. When I pressed on the gas pedal it would actually go, I got it up to about 70 but I had to do it gracefully otherwise if I went above 2K RPMS the tranny would slip out of gear. I got all the way through Furnace Creek and was able to get the car over some small hills. Once we got to the big hill to the house I had to pull over and we had to finish towing it to the house.

Does anyone have a good idea is wrong with the tranny, does it need an entire rebuild or would it be something less, such as a the torque convertor or the valve body?

Thanks

JS

• Sponsors (?)